Skin?

Options
milosmom1979
milosmom1979 Posts: 33 Member
Hey Guys!

So Ive been on induction since 5/13/13.( my doc told me to stay on induction until I lose 50% of my goal weight). Im wondering if i'm alone in the following: Skin, mostly stretch Marks! I've never had a problem with them before, so now that im starting to lose some serious weight very quickly, I fear that my body and my skin cant keep up... Im 33 and Ive never really lost a significant amount of weight before so im just wondering, will my skin bounce back or should I impart some exercises to make sure it does? I just dont want to be weighed down with all this extra skin when Im at my goal weight, you know?

Replies

• jphon
    jphon Posts: 8
    Options
    Hi :)

You are quite young still so your skin should find its way hopefully. The thing is, loose skin comes from losing weight too quickly, the fat underneath it that keeps it stretched out vanishes faster than the skin can adapt. Stretch marks can be improved with TCA peels/laser/derma roller with bio oil.

Exercise is always a good thing, strength training would help build some muscle that would help stretch out the skin to be tighter. Yoga stretching is also good for toning, as the muscles tone up it should help some in lifting the skin. Calisthenics are great for building lean muscle, great for your heart, and they’re even great for tightening skin after weight loss! Most importantly, keep yourself well hydrated.

I have one friend who swears that a weekly massage helps firm up her skin. She takes a skin firming lotion (St.Ives i think, though not sure) and says that the increased blood flow helps boost collagen levels. She also add kelp to her bath, its some strange seaweed powder. She used it on her face one time and her face looked very tight. It did make me laugh as she looked like she was in a wind tunnel. :P

Unfortunately, some people are just prone to it after a rapid weight loss. You really don't want to lose more than 2 lbs a week if you have a large amount to lose. I know that's not what people want to hear, but doing it a bit slower would give the skin time to adapt and shrink with the body.

Bearing in mind i am no scientist, and i have not suffered this myself. I can only offer advice from seeing my friends transformation and being her support buddy.

Good luck with your weight loss, and stay positive. The benefits of being a healthy weight are not just on the outside :)
  • milosmom1979
    milosmom1979 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    THANK YOU!! All Great Suggestions!!!