MFP or BM Calorie Target?

Options
Hi all, I am a new BM user. Started mid-July....

Is it normal to have 2 different daily calorie targets? My BM calorie balance is higher than my MFP calorie target. I have been following the MFP calorie target. Any suggestions on which target I should follow....MFP or BM's?

I exercise 4-6 times a week and I've heard/read that if you don't eat enough...this could cause a person to not loose weight. Since I'm new to MFP and BM I am not sure which target to follow.

It's great to see everyone's weight loss on the weight tickers! It gives me hope that I will have one that will start to show a weight loss too.

Thanks!

Replies

• jmcreynolds91
    jmcreynolds91 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    bumping for replies. Just ordered my BM!
  • zlauerMom
    zlauerMom Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I adjusted MFP to come close to the BMF number for calories consumed. But mainly I focus on the calorie deficit number in BMF. My burn numbers are all over the place. (I don't have a 'typical' day.) So I try to make sure I hit my calorie deficit.
  • JRadd14
    JRadd14 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    As you can adjust either of them, I make them the same for my MFP and BMF. You can either pick the goal provided by one of the programs or create your own, but they should both be the same - I think it would be odd to have a different calorie goal in both places. And then I look at my burn and my overall calorie deficit, which is the ultimate determiner for losses.
  • yeags84
    yeags84 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I've set my net calorie target on MFP lower than the standard 1200 for women because the BMF burn data imports as activity. If my net calories were 1200 on MFP, then I wouldn't hit my calorie burn on BMF. What I do is to look go to the "Exercise" tab and click on the BMF adjustment. It'll show you your BMF projected calorie burn and the MFP standard calculation and the difference. In order to hit right on my deficit (1000), I subtract 1000 from the MFP and set that as my goal net calories, that way, the adjustments put me right where I need to be to hit my deficit on BMF.
  • myrahonbarrier
    myrahonbarrier Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I think my brain just exploded! Wow so complicated. I just rec'd my BM today, charging it now. It suggests I eat 2200 calories! REALLY????
  • katevarner
    katevarner Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    The original goal that BM gives you is just based on the info you put in. I would suggest wearing it for a couple of weeks to see how much you are actually burning, then you can adjust your goals based on your actual burn. Mine originally told me to eat 1950 because it thought I would burn 2450. I was only able to work out a couple of days a week at that time, so I didn't burn that much every day. Once I got a good idea of what I burned on a normal day, I changed my goals to burn 2150 and eat 1650 on BM. But I mainly tried to keep about a 500-600 calorie deficit each day by eating more on the days I burned more and less on days I didn't burn as much. As far as making the goals the same, you don't have to worry about that. If you enable negative adjustments in MFP, the burn numbers will come out the same, then you just have to decide how much or how little to eat based on the deficit to get you to your goal.

Good luck! I lost the last 20 hardest to lose pounds with BMF, then I started maintenance a year ago. BM and MFP have allowed me to stay within 5 lbs. of my goal ever since.