Finally!

Options
It is such a relief to know that others have had this problem too. I am on long term medication and have been for the last 2 - 3 years and have gained around 4st (56 lbs) due to this. Medication makes it just a little harder to keep off the weight, but we can do it! I am determined to lose this weight as it is looking like I will be on these meds for at least the next 5 years so I can't let my weight stay at this amount or increase. Thankyou for making this group, we can lose this weight, even if we have to work harder - I guess that will make it even more amazing when we reach our goals! :flowerforyou: Hannah x

Replies

• VixenArgentum
    VixenArgentum Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I'm bipolar with a panic disorder. One antidepressant made me gain 70lbs in 2 months. One mood stabilizer made me gain 30 more. At 286 I couldn't take being that fat anymore, so I asked to be put on different medications. So just like that, 40 lbs fell off of me. The rest, however, wanted to stay.

Even before I was diagnosed and given the medications, I was slightly overweight. So, now, I'd like to get in shape and be even better looking and healthier than I was before I had to take my medicines.

Please feel free to friend me!
  • jasperthecathannah
    Options
    my meds are also for mental health issues - keep going strong! :flowerforyou:
  • Lovely70
    Lovely70 Posts: 11
    Options
    I'm soo glad I found this group!. I have been with antidepressent for almost 6 years now and it is so frustrating!
  • jasperthecathannah
    Options
    we can do this :)
    For me - gaining weight made my mood go down even more, did it for you? :)
  • beautyforashes777
    Options
    My doctor wont take me off of my meds which are causing me to gain weight. They say that I need to change my lifestyle. But it is so hard to lose weight on your own! Ive lost 3 lbs but I still have about 20 to go. =(
  • reneelamont
    Options
    I have bipolar disorder with panic disorder also. I gained about 100 lbs. over 10 years taken various medications & foresee the long term need to stay on the culprit medications. Due to co-morbid conditions (sleep apnea & diabetes), my insurance paid for bariatric surgery - I had a gastric sleeve surgery 2 months ago. I've lost over 45 lbs - Yippee! I believe I will shed quite a bit more too. My fear is the continued use of the meds will bring it back on. I've discussed this with my psychiatrist & he feels if I follow a proper diet & exercise program I should be good to go
    I certainly pray that is the case. I am really lucky I found a tool to assist in my weight loss endeavor & feel extremely grateful. Fitness pal has been a godsend to keep me on track with my daily calories & nutritional needs.
  • bettbett87
    bettbett87 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Hey guys!
    I've just joined this group because I was looking for others that are battling weight when on medication.
    I am on Mirtazapine and Venlafaxine for perinatal depression and have found that 9months AFTER having my 2nd child I am heavier than I was when I was 9months pregnant with him! And he was a whopping 8lb 13 when he was born!
    I also have the contraceptive implant and have been put on the combined pill to control bleeding. SO- this cocktail of hormones and drugs has made me balloon to 245lbs (5ft 10) . I've done my research and the meds could be responsilbe for two reasons:

1- because they potentially slow your metabolism
    2- because they increase appetite.

I was on Venlafaxine after my first child and lost around 35lbs with minimal effort when I stopped taking it. I'm not ready to stop it this time around so I'm trying to take matters into my own hands.

I'm finding it REALLY hard to curb my appetite and have been exercising every day. Some days I wonder if there's any point in being on antidepressants that make me depressed about being fat!
  • bettbett87
    bettbett87 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    we can do this :)
    For me - gaining weight made my mood go down even more, did it for you? :)

Absolutely! I'm getting so down on myself that I don't want anyone to look at me. I flinch everytime my boyfriend tries to hug me!
  • amphotography
    amphotography Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    While I'm on my medications for epilepsy, they are also used to treat depression/bipolar disorders. I've gained 60lbs since I've been on them. It is hard to lose. The meds I am on turn off the impulse to stop eating when I am full. I really need the group help to keep on track with limiting my food, tracking my food, and getting enough exercise to lose my weight.
  • scrappingmom73
    scrappingmom73 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have been on an antidepressant (4 different ones) for just almost a year now. Within just 2 months of going on the medication, I gained 40 pounds. I have spent the last year trying to lose that weight and have only lost 5 pounds. Most weeks I maintain but some I gain only to lose that again. I cannot seem to get past that 5 pound mark. I have just gone off that medication under my doctors supervision. I believe that staying on it, I will not lose weight which has totally effected my self esteem. I am glad to find this group and would love any new friends.
  • scrappingmom73
    scrappingmom73 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hey guys!
    I've just joined this group because I was looking for others that are battling weight when on medication.
    I am on Mirtazapine and Venlafaxine for perinatal depression and have found that 9months AFTER having my 2nd child I am heavier than I was when I was 9months pregnant with him! And he was a whopping 8lb 13 when he was born!
    I also have the contraceptive implant and have been put on the combined pill to control bleeding. SO- this cocktail of hormones and drugs has made me balloon to 245lbs (5ft 10) . I've done my research and the meds could be responsilbe for two reasons:

1- because they potentially slow your metabolism
    2- because they increase appetite.

I was on Venlafaxine after my first child and lost around 35lbs with minimal effort when I stopped taking it. I'm not ready to stop it this time around so I'm trying to take matters into my own hands.

I'm finding it REALLY hard to curb my appetite and have been exercising every day. Some days I wonder if there's any point in being on antidepressants that make me depressed about being fat!

I can totally relate to the feeling of why be on the antidepressant if it just makes me depressed that I'm fat!
  • Lovely70
    Lovely70 Posts: 11
    Options
    I know that feeling too. Its like a circle: you gain weight you feel depressed, you get depressed, you need medicine and the medicine makes you fat!! :( Hate it!!!
  • ashleyvic1
    Options
    I am so excited you guys found my group! It great to know others are out there. I also gained my weight from antidepressants. I caught the weight gain early when I gained 16 lbs. The doctor reduced the dose but its not changing the weight problem. I can't stop the medication because my anxiety and depression will take over again since I deal with general anxiety disorder and fibromyalgia. I know we can all do it. I am so glad to see how much support there is! Welcome everyone to the group.
  • IamUndrCnstruction
    IamUndrCnstruction Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    I have been on Prednisone for a year now due to lung issues. Between that and the difficulty I have exercising with said lung issues, I gained about 40 pounds. I joined MFP to try and take back control of what was going on with me. Through logging and pushing myself harder than I thought I could to workout, it is sloooowly coming off. We can do this. All of us.