No kids...

Options
hollyteech
hollyteech Posts: 12 Member
Hi there! Looking to connect with some other singles without children. I think some of our eating and exercise abilities are a little different and cooking for one can be a challenge.

I'm 46, live in L.A. and just starting out on this fitness journey (again). Would really enjoy the daily communication with some other like minded and lifestyle people.

Thanks in advance! Feel free to add me if this sounds like you too!

Holly:smile:

Replies

• Bonvivebooks
    Options
    You're totally right! When I cook, i still make the recipes mom taught me, but they serve four, at least! Some nights I don't want to cook, and the leftovers are great, but there are nights where I'd rather just grab a sandwich because it's easy, and I'm tired. If I HAD to cook for a family, I would, but just for myself, I go, "eh, whatever." I know lots of singles who do this too.
  • RockClimber69
    RockClimber69 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Over 40, no kids, but not single (In fact, getting remarried shortly), but I feel your pain. My fiance and I do not eat the same things, so I cook for myself.....makes reaching for processed stuff way too easy! :(
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I'm not single, am childless. My husband and I eat very differently. For my health, I try not to eat the same thing as he does. For dinner tonight he had two cheeseburgers and a bowl of corn flakes. I like salads and smoothies this time of year to get my fruits and veggies in. In the winter I make a lot of soups and stews.

I also really enjoy simple meals, like a lean protein such as a piece of baked fish or chicken, some steamed veggies and maybe a side of quinoa or rice. Those seem to work the best when cooking for just one.
  • bethjpsu
    bethjpsu Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Hi - I am 44, single and no kids as well... don't cook very much (hardly at all lol) - more like food assembly! So much efffort for 1 person.. trying to eat healthy and get tired of the same thing after 2 meals or so - hard to make any sort of big portions! would love to be your friend to share similar issues. I am a very busy professional woman and trying to get back on track! Beth
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    Another 40+ child free woman here. Please feel free to add me. :-)
  • sewerchick93
    sewerchick93 Posts: 1,440 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm 45, I do have one daughter but she is now 20 and out of the house and I am a single empty-nester...so I know all about cooking for one and how much easier it is to just order take out...feel free to add me.
  • Sfhija
    Sfhija Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Greetings! I’m 46, no kids, married. Like another poster here, though, I cook for myself. My husband is a junk food devotee, I’m the opposite. I’m one of those people who really enjoys cooking, and that’s after years of living on lean cuisines and slim fasts! Please, add me, I’m new on the social side here. :smile:
  • BlessedBe23
    BlessedBe23 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Hi there, I'm 40 and am divorced, no human kids just three furry ones :smile:

I like to cook but struggle to cook just for me, especially as I have had gastric bypass surgery and don't particularly like left overs. I'm now cooking for the week on Sunday and just reheating through out the week with a lot of salads thrown in. I mostly do crock pot chicken and things that can be utlitized many different ways.

It is harder to cook for one and I think we end up wasting more money on thrown away food!
  • kar328
    kar328 Posts: 4,152 Member
    Options
    49, single, child-free. Would love friends like me, always feel like the third wheel.
  • DonnaRe2012
    DonnaRe2012 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I'm right there with you. Especially in the summer (I'm in TX) and it's just to hot to turn on the oven the sandwich is my best friend !!
  • DonnaRe2012
    DonnaRe2012 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    You're totally right! When I cook, i still make the recipes mom taught me, but they serve four, at least! Some nights I don't want to cook, and the leftovers are great, but there are nights where I'd rather just grab a sandwich because it's easy, and I'm tired. If I HAD to cook for a family, I would, but just for myself, I go, "eh, whatever." I know lots of singles who do this too.

I'm right there with you. Especially in the summer (I'm in TX) and it's just to hot to turn on the oven, the sandwich is my best friend !!
  • stacy71773
    Options

I'm right there with you. Especially in the summer (I'm in TX) and it's just to hot to turn on the oven, the sandwich is my best friend !!

Me too, it's all about the sandwiches when you're only "cooking" for one! :wink:
  • danarandallreed
    danarandallreed Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Think I friended everyone on this thread. If I missed you, friend me. I am 47, no children, married and live in Alabama. That basically makes me from outer space for the family-oriented South. I was always afraid my mother would put fertility drugs in my sweet tea when I was not looking.

So glad to find this thread. Thanks!
  • M_on_a_Mission
    M_on_a_Mission Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm similar to many of the previous posts. I'm 42YO with no children (except one spoiled feline) but I am married. The hubby and I have very different eating habits so I mainly cook for myself. Hubby is lucky - he eats Lucky Charms for breakfast, prefers cheeseburgers and pizza and has a body fat percentage of 17%. He sucks!! Ha! I, on the other hand, am not that lucky. I prefer healthier food but have struggled with my weight for years. I look at a cookie and gain weight. I would be happy to have you as a friend, if you like. This is a great thread because it's nice to find people who are closer to my age who don't have children. Please include a short message with your friend request so I know how we connected. Good luck to everyone with your wellness journey. Hope to meet lots of new friends! :-)
  • gobraves47
    gobraves47 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I'm 45, married, no kids (except pets, lol). Anyone can friend me. I'm here everyday, but pretty quiet. :smile:
  • orangequilt
    orangequilt Posts: 4,230 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I'm in Australia, originally from UK, no kids, have a partner but we eat different food during the week, be good to get some support and ideas from others in the same situation. I'm about to turn 45, and want to lose 20kg (maybe a bit more) which I think is 40lb or so. I've just started MFP this week.
  • ccmira
    ccmira Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    This is a great group. Please add me...married, no kids and over forty. I had no idea there others with similar experiences...my hubby has many medical food restrictions and I love variety so would love to get inspired about food and share similar issues.
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    Totally describes me. 41, mom to four furbabies, have a SO. I don't really cook at all and have never had to cook for anyone else. Nice thing about eating healthy and not having kids is I don't have the temptation my Mom friends have to snack on things in their cabinets that I don't even have to put in my shopping cart.
  • MsMarlaJean
    MsMarlaJean Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Wow! I know this is an older thread, but it is really nice to see so many with the similar dynamic of No Kids, over 40 with a significant other who eats differently than you! :bigsmile:

I'm starting to like cooking again and I'm getting good at cooking for 2, however like several of you, my SO and I fend for ourselves when it comes to breakfast and lunch and he always adds stuff to his dinner (like pepper, hot sauce, chipotle sauce, extra butter and gravies) It works for us tho and we are quite happy with our 1 fur baby dog and 1 independent Cat :wink:
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    we are quite happy with our 1 fur baby dog and 1 independent Cat :wink:

That's exactly what we've got. :flowerforyou: