What was the impetus for your change of lifestyle

Options
Mslmesq
Mslmesq Posts: 1,001 Member
I'm curious as to what caused you all to change your lifestyles.

For me, I saw Food Inc. about 3 and a half years ago and it completely changed the way I viewed food. After that I read a bunch of books like Michael Pollan. I haven't eaten any fast food since then at all and have made numerous other changes.

What about you guys?

Replies

• RunningRichelle
    RunningRichelle Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    This is an awesome topic. I love it- sharing stories on what got us to where we are today.

My change was pretty gradual, and I still feel like I'm in the process of making changes today.

In the spring of this year, I was listening to a wide variety of podcasts- landed on Jillian Michaels and heard her bit on why it's so important, not just for weight loss but for long-term health, to avoid artificial chemicals in all their forms. I toyed with the idea for a while, did lots of reading/research on PubMed, and finally gave it a go a few weeks later.

The impetus for my switch was definitely twofold- for one, it's easier for me to lose weight when I'm not eating foods full of hormone disruptors, and secondly, I want to be as healthy as I can when it comes time for me to procreate!

I've also transitioned over to a more paleo/primal version of eating, and I'm liking it. I was at a bit of a plateau with the weight loss, which was the impetus for that change, and now I'm steadily losing again, yay. It was very hard mentally to go that first day without having any grains, but I haven't regretted it!
  • SJVZEE
    SJVZEE Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    There's a 100% cancer rate of older women in my family, going back several generations. There's also several male relatives who have had cancer. Diabetes is another big one-I lost one grandfather to it and my grandmother is now having a lot of health problems due to hers (starting to get the skin rashes, feet problems etc). But, the catalyst was this spring when my friend, who's my age and has kids younger than me, was diagnose with breast cancer. At the same time my mil was finishing up radiation treatments, and a woman from my church, also my age with young kids, had just died from cancer. I began feeling very depressed about it-thinking that this would be where I was heading some day. But, then I decided -screw that, I'm going to try and stack the odds in my favor as much as possible, and began looking into the idea of natural cancer prevention. That's led me to becoming interested in a whole foods, plant based diet, which has now led me to wanting to work towards a whole foods, vegan diet. I'm genetically pre-disposed to cancer, but I can at least say I didn't go down without a fight, if I do get sick some day :)
  • Mslmesq
    Options
    This is an awesome topic. I love it- sharing stories on what got us to where we are today.

My change was pretty gradual, and I still feel like I'm in the process of making changes today.

In the spring of this year, I was listening to a wide variety of podcasts- landed on Jillian Michaels and heard her bit on why it's so important, not just for weight loss but for long-term health, to avoid artificial chemicals in all their forms. I toyed with the idea for a while, did lots of reading/research on PubMed, and finally gave it a go a few weeks later.

The impetus for my switch was definitely twofold- for one, it's easier for me to lose weight when I'm not eating foods full of hormone disruptors, and secondly, I want to be as healthy as I can when it comes time for me to procreate!

I've also transitioned over to a more paleo/primal version of eating, and I'm liking it. I was at a bit of a plateau with the weight loss, which was the impetus for that change, and now I'm steadily losing again, yay. It was very hard mentally to go that first day without having any grains, but I haven't regretted it!

Good for you runningrichel! I like Jillian Michaels too and read one of her books on the subject. I also found I have lost weight easier the more healthy the food is that I eat. Interestingly, most people I know are very interested in how I did it, this is the first place I've felt animosity (the forum, not this group). Keep up the good work. :-)
  • Mslmesq
    Options
    There's a 100% cancer rate of older women in my family, going back several generations. There's also several male relatives who have had cancer. Diabetes is another big one-I lost one grandfather to it and my grandmother is now having a lot of health problems due to hers (starting to get the skin rashes, feet problems etc). But, the catalyst was this spring when my friend, who's my age and has kids younger than me, was diagnose with breast cancer. At the same time my mil was finishing up radiation treatments, and a woman from my church, also my age with young kids, had just died from cancer. I began feeling very depressed about it-thinking that this would be where I was heading some day. But, then I decided -screw that, I'm going to try and stack the odds in my favor as much as possible, and began looking into the idea of natural cancer prevention. That's led me to becoming interested in a whole foods, plant based diet, which has now led me to wanting to work towards a whole foods, vegan diet. I'm genetically pre-disposed to cancer, but I can at least say I didn't go down without a fight, if I do get sick some day :)

Good for you sjvzee! You sound very spunky. I also really enjoyed the movie Forks over knives and the book The Hundred Year Lie. Don't know if you checked either one out. I try to eat vegan a lot of the time, but am closer to vegetarian or pescetarian than vegan. I find it admirable though.
  • cleanandlean2012
    cleanandlean2012 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    A couple of things prompted my change (which may I add is still very much ongoing and had its superb days, along with it's terrible days). In 2011 my dad died from cancer and despite 10 years or so of reasonable living, it was the years before when he smoked and rank too much, that ultimately led to the cancer. That alongside having a daughter (now 5 years old). Already she has commented her legs are fat, she does not want a fat tummy etc etc, as well as competing in a fairly touch gymnastics environment. It is my responsibility to show her a healthy balanced lifestyle.

In researching, I came across James Duigan Clean and Lean (removing the CRAP - Caffeine, Refined Sugar, Alcohol and Processed Foods). I still drink tea and have the occassional coffee, I have one 'free' meal a week and then the odd day - like today where I ate a bag of truffles because I was work overloaded and worked for 18 hours).

So far, exactly one year on, I am 44lbs down, 80lbs to go in the next year!
  • saratague
    saratague Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I didn’t start out caring about clean eating. I just cared about calories and Weight Watchers points. I lost almost 50 pounds not caring about clean eating – I gained some back and now I’m trying to lose again. I’m not saying you HAVE to eat clean to lose weight, but for me, it was a personal choice.

I figured all of the processed foods with all the additives HAD to not be healthy for you, then, after giving up fast food for a couple of months and going back to eating a couple of meals of fast food, I learned my lesson.

Granted, I understand that the fact that it’s so processed wasn’t the only thing that made me sick, but I was LITERALLY sick for three days after eating two fast food meals. I was miserable.

Ever since then, we try to eat as cleans possible. Even now, when I eat fast food, I’ll pay for it. Now…Don’t misunderstand. That isn’t always enough to stop me, but we don’t eat fast food TOO often, unless it’s a new chain we’ve never tried (or one of our favorite chains). :)

We are in a new area (moved from Detroit to Seattle in January) and there’s SOOOOO much new (good) food around here to try so we DO go out to eat quite a bit still, even without the fast food. We also don’t buy EVERYTHING organic or organic and grass-fed, things like that. We try to do our best, but we are also cheapskates.

I don’t step on to a soapbox and preach clean eating – Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and I am proof that you can lose weight and even be healthy without it – BUT, I believe that it is the best thing in the long haul and that it’ll help overall health.

I’ve got a lot to learn, but the boyfriend and I have had a GREAT time trying new recipes and trying new foods. We’re always looking for more suggestions to switch to cleaner eating, new recipes, and money saving tips.
  • lauraleighsm
    Options
    Food Inc. The next day I threw all of our food out. Then I had my kids watch it (at 5 and 7) so they could understand why I was being so mean. :)

We still get too much refined sugar in our diet, but we do pretty well. I haven't figured out how to say no to the kids when they are begging me at swim meets for a ring pop. I have this "ideal" that I would love for us to follow, but all of our food in the house is organic or non gmo.

LOVE this new group!
  • ThePrimalSpartan
    ThePrimalSpartan Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    For me, my journey started 2 years ago. I had just graduated from college, and felt lost/depressed about my future. I was very overweight and was suffering from another bout of situational depression (which has happened multiple times throughout my life). While on vacation with my family, I told my parents I had the crazy idea that I wanted to become a police officer. After talking to them, and finding a perfectly timed "Policeman's Prayer" plaque, I made a commitment to try to get in shape. I said if I could get where I wanted to be by the following summer, I'd apply. I started Primal shortly thereafter, after much hounding from my best friend (whom a month later became my boyfriend, and whom is now my fiancé).

I've followed the Primal lifestyle since then, with periods of extreme strictness and periods of maintaining. I have embraced the whole lifestyle, and know this is how I want to live my life. I'm 1 pound away from being 50lbs down, and have 33ish more to go. I am determined to as healthy as I can be, and a "cute" pregnant lady (when the time comes) like I've always wanted haha. I've given up on my desire to be a police officer, by my fiancé has picked up that dream of mine and run with it. He's now a rookie with the police department in our town, and loves it. He is a strong source of my motivation, and inspires me daily to become a better me.

Just a little side note, thank you Richelle for starting this group!! It's such a good idea, and your hard work is much appreciate. :)
  • Mslmesq
    Options
    Cleanandlean, I'm very sorry to hear about your father! Sounds a lot like mine who also died of cancer. :-(. I never saw him without a cigarette in one hand and a cup of coffee in the other. Frustrating looking back. Congratulations on your weight loss! That is awesome!

Saratague, sounds like you've made some really healthy changes. Good for you! And none of us are perfect, but every little bit counts. Also, great restaurants in Seattle. Yummy! And vancouver too if you pop over there.

Sharino, i loved food inc. i've watched it several times. As far as lollipops, there are actually some in this local health food store i go to that are organic and very low sugar. Better than the ring pops anyways if u can get your hands on them.

Becca, sounds like you've made some really great progress. Congratulations! I don't know what primal is, but will have to look into it.

Looks like we have a great group of friendly and supportive people here. Yeah!
  • RunningRichelle
    Options
    It is my responsibility to show her a healthy balanced lifestyle.

In researching, I came across James Duigan Clean and Lean (removing the CRAP - Caffeine, Refined Sugar, Alcohol and Processed Foods). I still drink tea and have the occassional coffee, I have one 'free' meal a week and then the odd day - like today where I ate a bag of truffles because I was work overloaded and worked for 18 hours).

So far, exactly one year on, I am 44lbs down, 80lbs to go in the next year!

So awesome.. I'm also so in it for the health of my future kiddos! And to be a cute preggo lady, too- Like Becca said.
    Food Inc. The next day I threw all of our food out.

I think I've watched this one too! I've seen a few of the different food-industry documentaries, and they are all so enlightening. The sight of all those chickens that don't even get to stand up during their lives is so nauseating.
    Ever since then, we try to eat as cleans possible. Even now, when I eat fast food, I’ll pay for it. Now…Don’t misunderstand. That isn’t always enough to stop me, but we don’t eat fast food TOO often, unless it’s a new chain we’ve never tried (or one of our favorite chains). :)

We are in a new area (moved from Detroit to Seattle in January) and there’s SOOOOO much new (good) food around here to try so we DO go out to eat quite a bit still, even without the fast food. We also don’t buy EVERYTHING organic or organic and grass-fed, things like that. We try to do our best, but we are also cheapskates.

Us too! Me and Chase (the fiance) still go out to eat one or two times a month, but I do my best not to go overboard. We also can't afford to buy everything organic, even after cutting in other places in the budget, like giving up cable.

I'm so grateful for you guys. Thanks for being here! I'm going to try and find more people to invite over to the dark side, haha! Happy Friday.
  • conniedj
    conniedj Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    My Impetus for change? Two fold really. I used to work in feature films (movies) as a location manager. 18-20 hour days for weeks on end. Outrageous stress. My last movie I got to the point one day where I had the owner of our main location screaming obscenities at me, and threatening not only me--but to interfere with production ( a big NO NO!). I hadn't eaten, my blood sugar dropped to the point that I was passing out. I felt like my heart was going to explode and couldn't breathe. I left the movie early--and never looked back. Unfortunately, the amount of stress took its toll. I was exhausted all of the time.

I went to my Dr--as feeling like I was going to cry if I didn't get a nap did not seem normal to me. I felt like I was on the edge of a health abyss....I KNEW that if I didn't so something that I would get into a diseased state. Dr did all kinds of blood work. Nothing. He put me on thyroid meds....didn't help. I finally found a naturopath. She tested me ( muscle test) for deficiencies, bacteria, viruses, fungus, parasites, heavy metals. I had a lot going on! She put me on a building cleanse ( NOTHING like the fad cleanses you see out there) with homeopathics, tinctures and supplements that my body needed. Plus a good tea and awesome fiber that makes you poop, and sweeps a clean path in the gut. I still remember the day my body purged some kind of fecal grossness--i felt like a shroud had been removed from my brain, and I could breath deeper than I had in a long time. I was so relieved and so thankful that I cried! lol.

Then I I was doing research for a project about alternative therapies ( food, medicine primarily). For my research I watched lots of documentaries to see what was out there in the way of real evidence and what was just "out there". It's a mixed bag....but for certain I was compelled to look further into Genetically modified foods--just what all the hype was. What I found was that companies that started out making chemicals--namely Monsanto--though there others, were buying up the patents on seeds with a claim of Essential Equivalence. Meaning the GM version of a particular breed was essentially equivalent to it's natural counterpart. This struck a deep chord in me---how can something be a unique invention/technology to warrant a patent --yet at the same time be "essentially" the same as it's natural non-modified counterpart? And who would approve such things? The FDA of course.

So I researched the process of approval for the FDA. Did you know that the head of the FDA~Michael Taylor~ is a former lobbyist and attorney for Monsanto. I was floored, appalled and sickened that politics was taking precedent in our food chain. and that someone like Michael Taylor was able to come into the government entity designed solely to protect the heath and welfare of the american people....and help write the approval process for GMO's was not only a conflict of interest, but absolutely unconscionable.

I owe it to myself, my family and the children who don't have parents that know that food can either feed and nourish you or add to the progression of disease. I am absolutely all about trying to make sure food companies know that the additives, preservatives, artificial colors and flavors that they put into OUR food--items banned in other countries for decades--is unacceptable, and must be changed! There are so many people out there in the regular forums who absolutely take for granted the health and safety of our food--thinking that is the job of the FDA to make sure what we put in our mouths is "good" for us. The sad truth is that so many toxins have been labeled "safe" for human consumption...the list is truly endless!

I am in development on a project right now that deals with many food issues and chronic illness that may be improved with a change in diet. More on that later!
  • seliinac
    seliinac Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I have always been interested in nutrition and so learned bits and pieces along the years. The first change I made was to organic milk. I love milk and didn't want to give it up but didn't want the hormones in it.

After finding out that a spot on my leg was basal-cell carcinoma, I researched antioxidants and increased them in my diet. Fortunately the spot was completely removed and apparently it's the least serious type of skin cancer. But still...

I've started buying more and more organic foods and cutting out more processed foods. It's still a work in progress. I'm not perfect and I don't expect I ever will be but that's okay with me.

I have always been a big proponent of eating lots of veggies and fruit. To be honest I've been shocked at some food diaries I have seen on here as well as some comments from those proponents of eating within your macros without regard to nutrients, etc. I've come to realise it's a fitness site, not a health site.
  • RunningRichelle
    Options
    I've started buying more and more organic foods and cutting out more processed foods. It's still a work in progress. I'm not perfect and I don't expect I ever will be but that's okay with me.

^^YES!! I feel exactly the same- like every day it's a process for me, and every day I make a little progress, and hopefully learn something new.

I've come to realise it's a fitness site, not a health site.

As soon as I read this, it totally clicked. I agree. Glad to have you in our little 'health' corner!!!
  • melwharris91
    melwharris91 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Hi, just signed up with the group this morning. Before I joined mfp in June I was 14 pounds heavier wondering why I was heavier than I wanted to be. After logging in my calories consumed I figured that I couldn't pig out on takeout Chinese and cheatos and get the nutrition I needed.

I then figured I needed to replace the crap I was eating with fruit, veggies, and lean protein such as fiish and poultry. I have been eating this way for the most part since the second week of June. It's ironic that I prefer "clean" food as far as taste vs takeout and fast food. I fell into bad habits because I work a lot of ten to twelve hour shiifts as a pharmacist with no regular break period. I learned that with a little bit of planning and prepping I can bring a bunch of healthy snacks such as grapes, string cheese, cut up veggies and hummus to nibble on has worked for me.

I am hoping to share ideas with like minded people who willl help me reenforce this lifestyle choice.
  • lauraleighsm
    Options
    My Impetus for change? Two fold really. I used to work in feature films (movies) as a location manager. 18-20 hour days for weeks on end. Outrageous stress. My last movie I got to the point one day where I had the owner of our main location screaming obscenities at me, and threatening not only me--but to interfere with production ( a big NO NO!). I hadn't eaten, my blood sugar dropped to the point that I was passing out. I felt like my heart was going to explode and couldn't breathe. I left the movie early--and never looked back. Unfortunately, the amount of stress took its toll. I was exhausted all of the time.

I went to my Dr--as feeling like I was going to cry if I didn't get a nap did not seem normal to me. I felt like I was on the edge of a health abyss....I KNEW that if I didn't so something that I would get into a diseased state. Dr did all kinds of blood work. Nothing. He put me on thyroid meds....didn't help. I finally found a naturopath. She tested me ( muscle test) for deficiencies, bacteria, viruses, fungus, parasites, heavy metals. I had a lot going on! She put me on a building cleanse ( NOTHING like the fad cleanses you see out there) with homeopathics, tinctures and supplements that my body needed. Plus a good tea and awesome fiber that makes you poop, and sweeps a clean path in the gut. I still remember the day my body purged some kind of fecal grossness--i felt like a shroud had been removed from my brain, and I could breath deeper than I had in a long time. I was so relieved and so thankful that I cried! lol.

Then I I was doing research for a project about alternative therapies ( food, medicine primarily). For my research I watched lots of documentaries to see what was out there in the way of real evidence and what was just "out there". It's a mixed bag....but for certain I was compelled to look further into Genetically modified foods--just what all the hype was. What I found was that companies that started out making chemicals--namely Monsanto--though there others, were buying up the patents on seeds with a claim of Essential Equivalence. Meaning the GM version of a particular breed was essentially equivalent to it's natural counterpart. This struck a deep chord in me---how can something be a unique invention/technology to warrant a patent --yet at the same time be "essentially" the same as it's natural non-modified counterpart? And who would approve such things? The FDA of course.

So I researched the process of approval for the FDA. Did you know that the head of the FDA~Michael Taylor~ is a former lobbyist and attorney for Monsanto. I was floored, appalled and sickened that politics was taking precedent in our food chain. and that someone like Michael Taylor was able to come into the government entity designed solely to protect the heath and welfare of the american people....and help write the approval process for GMO's was not only a conflict of interest, but absolutely unconscionable.

I owe it to myself, my family and the children who don't have parents that know that food can either feed and nourish you or add to the progression of disease. I am absolutely all about trying to make sure food companies know that the additives, preservatives, artificial colors and flavors that they put into OUR food--items banned in other countries for decades--is unacceptable, and must be changed! There are so many people out there in the regular forums who absolutely take for granted the health and safety of our food--thinking that is the job of the FDA to make sure what we put in our mouths is "good" for us. The sad truth is that so many toxins have been labeled "safe" for human consumption...the list is truly endless!

I am in development on a project right now that deals with many food issues and chronic illness that may be improved with a change in diet. More on that later!

Really love everything you are saying here!
  • RunningRichelle
    Options
    Hi, just signed up with the group this morning. Before I joined mfp in June I was 14 pounds heavier wondering why I was heavier than I wanted to be. After logging in my calories consumed I figured that I couldn't pig out on takeout Chinese and cheatos and get the nutrition I needed.

I then figured I needed to replace the crap I was eating with fruit, veggies, and lean protein such as fiish and poultry. I have been eating this way for the most part since the second week of June. It's ironic that I prefer "clean" food as far as taste vs takeout and fast food. I fell into bad habits because I work a lot of ten to twelve hour shiifts as a pharmacist with no regular break period. I learned that with a little bit of planning and prepping I can bring a bunch of healthy snacks such as grapes, string cheese, cut up veggies and hummus to nibble on has worked for me.

I am hoping to share ideas with like minded people who willl help me reenforce this lifestyle choice.

We're totally glad to have you! The longer I eat whole, real foods, the less and less appealing I find all the processed foods as well. It's a wonderful feeling, because volume-wise, I get to eat more food for less calories and I love it!
  • abbyrae1
    abbyrae1 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    My perspective on food has evolved over time...

I initially changed the way I was eating and monitored my calories because I got engaged and thought it would be a good way to look better for my wedding (goal--get skinny). I cleaned up my eating but not much and I eventually completely fell off the wagon, it didn't work because I wasn't looking at food in the right way.

In January 2013 I started following the "primal" thought process around food (loosely followed i should say). It completely changed the way I felt about food and how my body seemed to work. I was sleeping better, feeling better, didn't crave garbage food, etc. My weight seemed to drop slow and steady. this lasted for awhile however i seemed to lose a lot of my healthy eating habits when I was dealing with a foot injury and wasn't able to work out.

Now, I have started looking at food as fuel; it is a way to make sure I look and perform as best as possible; if I eat junk food, I will feel like junk. So I have been keeping that in mind and trying to eat appropriately...
  • jayjay12345654321
    jayjay12345654321 Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    It was during my second stint in the hospital in 6 months for health issues that something changed. I was done looking for shortcuts, magic pills, and endless excuses. I took off the electrodes from my chest, pulled the IV from my arm, and told the staff, "I'm going home now." That was 5 weeks ago. I started walking 4 times a week and because I've proven I can cheat the Lean Cuisine/Weight Watchers meal plans guilt-free, I decided I would only eat from the produce department. Fruits, veggies, tofus. That's it. It's not for a lifetime, but I had to do something extreme before I landed in the ER for the 3rd time this year. I know I'll continue to eat healthy, but over time when my weight is acceptable to my doc and my labs finally come back normal again, I'll broaden what I eat to include seafood, some dairy, eggs, and meat. For now, I'm doing what I have to do to save my life here and now so I get the chance to make a long term plan.
  • SirBonerFart
    SirBonerFart Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options
    I saw a documentary on netflix changed my world upside down
    Challenged everything I knew about food

I forget what it was called
  • QueenWino
    QueenWino Posts: 106
    Options
    I've followed clean eating guidelines for years semi-haphazardly; not enough of a permanent lifestyle to overtake my depression lazy days, eating out 5 days in a row days, and then over indulging and feeling like crap days. When I would cook, I was very conscious of the health factor of the food. Somehow my days of cooking lost the balancing act w/the over indulging, feeling awful loop and I settled into a huge funk where I couldn't find the energy to care. I randomly realized one day that whether or not I was ready and willing, I was going to live by food rules for myself almost every day, or I could continue on barely able to walk, to huff and puff going up and down stairs and to fear fun things like travel. I didn't think it'd stick, but the good nutrition helped spark my energy, I lost weight, and I started believing this could actually work. Now I have a freezer filled with kale chickpea soups, a fridge w/a black bean feta salad, some hard boiled eggs, homemade energy bars, and some wild rice casserole, all portioned out and delicious enough to actually want. My fruit bowl is full and none of it is getting moldy, my vegetable bin is actively in use, and people comment on how shiny my hair is and how I've lost weight. Most of all, I am happy. This is the food to nourish the body and help regulate some of my darker depressions.