Anyone else starting C25K at or above 200 lbs?

Replies

• crista_b
    crista_b Posts: 1,192 Member
    I started in the upper 230s. I'm down about 10lbs now, but I've finished c25k and am doing 10k training. I'm at the point where I'm running 4 miles at a time.
  • I'm in the 2nd week, and I'm in the 220s. I actually (accidentally) re-did W1D2 when I was supposed to do W2D2 and didn't notice until I was done, although it made sense when I realized - it was a lot easier. So I felt liek a bonehead, but it was encouraging because it let me know I was making *some* progress.

My biggest problem was pain in my legs. I just figured it was a result of my weight and it would resolve itself when I lost some. Turns out my form sucked, and after watching some videos and learning some tips, I worked on it yesterday and finished the workout pain-free.
  • latepaul
    latepaul Posts: 49 Member
    I was just under 250 when I started. I repeated some weeks a few times - once when I had a knee problem and once when I had other health issues. Now I'm on week 7 and enjoying it. I started off doing the timed version because I run in the mornings and didn't want to be late for work! But now I'm doing the distance version because I realised I'd complete week 9 - which is 30mins in the timed version on the app I have - and probably wouldn't have done 5k.

Last run was 4k/2.5miles in 30mins which I'm pleased with.

Important things for me are starting slow and having some sort regular indicator to aim for in my mind - so currently my app does an update every 5mins. Previously I would aim for the next walking interval.
  • kristafb
    kristafb Posts: 770 Member
    I started C25K when I was around 230-235 and I made it to w5d3. I got stuck on the 20 minute run, its a bear! I was in the process of restarting week 5 when we got hit with some high temperatures and then I got a knock down drag out cold/flu thing that laid me out for 2 full weeks. So here I am getting ready to restart, at 228lbs, so if you need a friend feel free to add me. :)
  • TheMinxyMissK
    TheMinxyMissK Posts: 12 Member
    I've just started today. I weigh 223lbs at the moment, but that's 129lbs down from my starting weight so I'm feeling good and wanting to get fit.

I found it okay today, it pushed me, but not as much as I had expected it to.

I'm looking forward to see how I get on with it!

Feel free to add me x
  • bnorris2013
    bnorris2013 Posts: 256 Member
    All right did day 2 yesterday still have not made it to level 1 completely yet so just gonna stick here until i can complete it

Completed Warmup and 2 jogs and 2 walks and 1 extra minute of walking

Steady and slow will have me running my 5k in December!
  • Skye_NS
    Skye_NS Posts: 214 Member
    All right did day 2 yesterday still have not made it to level 1 completely yet so just gonna stick here until i can complete it

Is it possible you are starting off too fast? I had trouble with pacing for the first couple days, I would take off running too fast, get super winded and then walk too slow. What worked best for me was slowing down the run as much as possible and speeding up the walk so the transition back to running wasn't so harsh. (Too bad it took me until week 2 to discover this, :ohwell: )

Keep plugging away at it! You'll get there!
  • I started at 202 lbs and finished this week at 193 lbs. I also have a bad right knee which I wasn't sure was going to survive. It's very possible...the 3 minute and 5 minute run scared me a lot too, but I kept pushing through and was amazed how easy they were really were to complete. I think running in the summer was the harder component since it's been really hot and humid up to this last week in the Toronto area. Make sure you regulate your breathing. Good luck, I'm sure you'll do great!
  • Skye_NS
    I started in the upper 230s. I'm down about 10lbs now, but I've finished c25k and am doing 10k training. I'm at the point where I'm running 4 miles at a time.
    That's fantastic! How long have you been at it?
    My biggest problem was pain in my legs. I just figured it was a result of my weight and it would resolve itself when I lost some. Turns out my form sucked, and after watching some videos and learning some tips, I worked on it yesterday and finished the workout pain-free.
    I think I'll check out some videos as well. Any suggestions?

I started incorporating toe & calf raises to strengthen my lower leg muscles (and hopefully prevent shin splints) as well as some exercises to strengthen my hips into my regular workout. I read a couple articles discussing knee pain being a symptom of weak hips. I had a lot of problems with my knees & shin splints as a teen so I'm not taking any chances!
    I was just under 250 when I started. I repeated some weeks a few times - once when I had a knee problem and once when I had other health issues. Now I'm on week 7 and enjoying it. I started off doing the timed version because I run in the mornings and didn't want to be late for work! But now I'm doing the distance version because I realised I'd complete week 9 - which is 30mins in the timed version on the app I have - and probably wouldn't have done 5k. 
    Congrats for sticking with it! We're using the timed version as well and I was wondering the same thing about actually making the 5k distance at the end of the 9 weeks.
    I started C25K when I was around 230-235 and I made it to w5d3. I got stuck on the 20 minute run, its a bear! I was in the process of restarting week 5 when we got hit with some high temperatures and then I got a knock down drag out cold/flu thing that laid me out for 2 full weeks. So here I am getting ready to restart, at 228lbs, so if you need a friend feel free to add me. :)
    Alright! Welcome back! Are you starting week 5 again or from week 1? Not going to lie, the 20 minute run is intimidating! Monday is w3d2 for me... trying not to look too far ahead! :laugh:
  • Skye_NS
    I've just started today. I weigh 223lbs at the moment, but that's 129lbs down from my starting weight so I'm feeling good and wanting to get fit.

I found it okay today, it pushed me, but not as much as I had expected it to.

I'm looking forward to see how I get on with it!

Feel free to add me x

Congrats on the weight loss and starting c25k. That's awesome! Stick with it & remember this group is full of fantastic advice if you run into any trouble. (I'm so excited that I found it! )
  • Skye_NS
    I started at 202 lbs and finished this week at 193 lbs. I also have a bad right knee which I wasn't sure was going to survive. It's very possible...the 3 minute and 5 minute run scared me a lot too, but I kept pushing through and was amazed how easy they were really were to complete. I think running in the summer was the harder component since it's been really hot and humid up to this last week in the Toronto area. Make sure you regulate your breathing. Good luck, I'm sure you'll do great!

Congrats on your graduation! We had a couple of really humid days here in NS last week and I found it really hard to run those days. The 3 minute run was better than expected Saturday, here's hoping the rest of the 3's and 5's are as kind. :)

I'm sorry if I missed anyone else. You guys are awesome... but I really need to get some sleep!
  • crista_b
    That's fantastic! How long have you been at it?
    Well, I did weeks 1-4 last summer and quit. I restarted at week 1 at the end of April. Now I'm doing the Zen Labs c210k app, and I did W11D2 yesterday. 4.16 miles in 53 minutes with an average pace of 12:46/mile.

I've been thinking of running the Disney Princess Half Marathon in Feb 2015, and I just decided yesterday that I want to do it for sure if I can come up with the money for travel/hotel. c25k gave me the running bug! :laugh:
  • NarneyK
    NarneyK Posts: 264 Member
    Just found this group :) I'm in my 300s and today I did Week 7/Day 2. I'm at a slower pace (5kph for the "running") so I won't be doing 5k at the end, but I'll work on speed once I finish the 9 weeks.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Just found this group :) I'm in my 300s and today I did Week 7/Day 2. I'm at a slower pace (5kph for the "running") so I won't be doing 5k at the end, but I'll work on speed once I finish the 9 weeks.

5 mph? That's really kind of fast. Work on slowing way down if you struggle with any of the runs.
  • likitisplit

I know you can do it this time, Krista!!!
  • likitisplit
    I'm in the 2nd week, and I'm in the 220s. I actually (accidentally) re-did W1D2 when I was supposed to do W2D2 and didn't notice until I was done, although it made sense when I realized - it was a lot easier. So I felt liek a bonehead, but it was encouraging because it let me know I was making *some* progress.

Glad you found resources! This is pretty common - people blame their weight for issues many runners of all fitness levels have.

The resources tab on good form running.com (http://www.goodformrunning.com/) has really good videos and descriptions. I took their workshop and can't recommend it enough.
  • crista_b

5 mph? That's really kind of fast. Work on slowing way down if you struggle with any of the runs.
    5kph, not mph. :wink:
  • rhonderoo
    rhonderoo Posts: 145 Member
    Glad I found this group! I'm on Day 2, Week 2 and am over 200. I haven't had too bad an issue with shin splints or cramping, but I was getting 10,000 steps a day consistently on my fitbit and walking at least 3 miles a day before I started. One thing I've noticed this time, compared to other times I've quit is I keep walking for another 30 min after it's over and I'm not as stiff or sore. I'm really looking forward to actually being a runner when this is done, and am glad I didn't wait until I lost weight to start.
  • likitisplit
    5kph, not mph.

Ohhhh. Duh.

Good job!!!
  • bnorris2013
    bnorris2013 Posts: 256 Member

Is it possible you are starting off too fast? I had trouble with pacing for the first couple days, I would take off running too fast, get super winded and then walk too slow. What worked best for me was slowing down the run as much as possible and speeding up the walk so the transition back to running wasn't so harsh. (Too bad it took me until week 2 to discover this, :ohwell: )

Keep plugging away at it! You'll get there!

No I been making sure to go slow - It just get me winded Quickly as I have ZERO running prior to this

HOWEVER I am proud to say TODAY
    I completed ALL of level 1 day 1 WOHOO!!

One thing I found that helped when I do my jogging portion I was holding onto the bars and I noticed when I let go of the bars and run as if I was outside it does not bother me like it was holding onto them - Not sure if that made a difference but I was able to do it all today!