Hello! New to IIFYM and Have a Question

Options
Hi! I'm sort of new to the IIFYM lifestyle but it seems to be the only one that makes any sense to me. I'm not looking to lose any weight. I'm trying to gain muscle (which will hopefully burn some fat) and firm up. I just adjusted my calories using the TDEE method to 1700. I workout 5-6 days a week. 1700 is considered on the low side for me, I think, but I'm afraid to start out too high. Can you check my diary and tell me if my macros sound about right, please? I know I'm supposed to set my protein first, based on my LBM. Not too sure about the fat though. Is it .45 grams per pound? I am 5'2, 115 lbs and the last two bf scales I used both said my body fat is at 19.5%. I know those things are inaccurate but they both came in almost the same. So I think my LBM is 93lbs. I'm sorry to ask so many questions. I just want to make sure I'm starting out correctly. I know it's all an estimate and I can adjust it as I go. Thank you for all your help! Lori

Replies

• AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    For protein, 0.82g per pound of body weight is the maximum protein intake that will be used for muscle synthesis. Any protein above this amount will be used as energy, so 0.82g per pound of body weight should be your minimum protein intake. For fat, you just need a minimum of 0.4g of fat per pound of body weight, but this is just a minimum. For your body weight of 115 pounds, your protein minimum should be 95g of protein per day, and your fat minimum should be 46g per day. Keep in mind that these are just minimums and it's perfectly fine to eat above them, as long as you do not exceed your daily calorie goal. If you'd like you can fill the rest of your calories with carbs, or any combination of protein, fat, and carbs that you'd like. At 1700 calories a day, your macro goals would look something like this

Protein: 95g
    Fat: 46g
    Carbs: 226g

When rounded to the nearest 5% for MFP's sake, your macro breakdown would be 25% fat, 25% protein, and 50% carbs.
  • She_Hulk
    She_Hulk Posts: 277
    Options
    Thanks so much for answering my question. I think I got it. So, as long as I get the minimum requirement of proteins and fats (and don't go over my calories) it's all good. This is something I can live with. :happy:
    Do you think 1700 is about right to start with? I guess only time will tell. Thanks so much for explaining it. Enjoy reading your posts! Lori
  • dieselbyte
    dieselbyte Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    For protein, 0.82g per pound of body weight is the maximum protein intake that will be used for muscle synthesis. Any protein above this amount will be used as energy, so 0.82g per pound of body weight should be your minimum protein intake. For fat, you just need a minimum of 0.4g of fat per pound of body weight, but this is just a minimum. For your body weight of 115 pounds, your protein minimum should be 95g of protein per day, and your fat minimum should be 46g per day. Keep in mind that these are just minimums and it's perfectly fine to eat above them, as long as you do not exceed your daily calorie goal. If you'd like you can fill the rest of your calories with carbs, or any combination of protein, fat, and carbs that you'd like. At 1700 calories a day, your macro goals would look something like this

When rounded to the nearest 5% for MFP's sake, your macro breakdown would be 25% fat, 25% protein, and 50% carbs.

^^This^^ Great info AJ_G. Also, be sure to track fiber as well. Fiber minimums are debated, but at least 10g/1,000 kcal or 25g minimum is acceptable.
  • She_Hulk
    Options
    Thank you, dieselbyte! I make sure to track my fiber (instead of sodium) and it's currently set at 25g. I just have to make sure I meet it or try to come close. Thank you both for all your help! Lori
  • stephaniefiteni
    stephaniefiteni Posts: 48 Member
    Options
  • She_Hulk
    Options
    Thank you, Stephanie!
  • FitFunFabulousNicole
    Options

Thank for for this great info AJ! :D