What Type of Vegetarian Are You?

Aurora1525
Aurora1525 Posts: 62 Member
I have this theory that there are 3 types of vegetarians:
1. THE HEALTH NUT - a person who has decided on a vegetarian diet because they believe it is healthier than a meat-based diet.
2. THE ANIMAL LOVER - a person who couldn't stand the thought of supporting the genocide of animals for human consumption.
3. THE FLAVOR HATER - a person who just never liked the taste of meat, and therefore, by default, is vegetarian.

Which one are you? Or am I missing a category?

Replies

• jfp420
    jfp420 Posts: 186 Member
    I am an Animal Lover first - that is what inspired me to become a vegatarian. But the more I learn about a plant based diet the more convinced I am that iit is the healthiest way to live. So I would say that I am an Animal Lover/ Health Nut combo.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    I wasn't aware there were those categories? Or that you couldn't take some from each...
  • StheK
    StheK Posts: 443 Member
    Yes, you missed the "Raised Vegetarian" category- it is probably a bit of all three of the above. While I'm not an animal lover (I hate having pets) I don't think they should be treated the way they are and I like that I don't contribute to that. I don't necessarily think it's healthier for us as people not to eat meat, but I do think that at this stage of our evolution, it's better for the environment that we reduce our dependence on meat. And it's true that I generally don't like the taste of meat, but there are exceptions to this rule- I have been known to eat smoked salmon on occasion, for example, because it tastes so damn good to me. So a bit of all those reasons, but none in particular.
  • bhsishtla
    bhsishtla Posts: 151 Member
    Flavor hater ....I am from a typical vegetarian (or vegan) family.I am not used to the taste and flavor of meat or even eggs.
  • Aurora1525
    The reason I asked this question was because I think the "Health Nut Vegetarian" gives vegetarianism a bad name (no offense if this is you). Yesterday someone at the grocery store asked me if I was vegetarian (what gave it away? The fact that there's no meat on the conveyor belt?). I was more than happy to reply, "Yes!" to which the cashier said, "Oh, so what...you only eat vegetables?" UGH. Because that's what people think vegetarianism is --- just a bunch of crazy people who only eat raw vegetables. My belief is that too many carnivores run into the "Health Nut Vegetarian" as opposed to other types and get this sense that yes, that's exactly what vegetarians eat. "Gotta eat healthy!!! Love my green smoothies!!" they tell carnivores. Please, health nut vegetarians, shut up. It drives me absolutely crazy when carnivores respond this way to me and my vegetarianism because of you. (No offense to you, of course.)
  • SJVZEE
    SJVZEE Posts: 451 Member
    The reason I asked this question was because I think the "Health Nut Vegetarian" gives vegetarianism a bad name (no offense if this is you). Yesterday someone at the grocery store asked me if I was vegetarian (what gave it away? The fact that there's no meat on the conveyor belt?). I was more than happy to reply, "Yes!" to which the cashier said, "Oh, so what...you only eat vegetables?" UGH. Because that's what people think vegetarianism is --- just a bunch of crazy people who only eat raw vegetables. My belief is that too many carnivores run into the "Health Nut Vegetarian" as opposed to other types and get this sense that yes, that's exactly what vegetarians eat. "Gotta eat healthy!!! Love my green smoothies!!" they tell carnivores. Please, health nut vegetarians, shut up. It drives me absolutely crazy when carnivores respond this way to me and my vegetarianism because of you. (No offense to you, of course.)

:huh:
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    All of the above.

I was never big on meat growing up. It never really appealed to me, other than highly spiced stuff.

I am very much an animal lover, and would have gone veg as a teen, but I knew my dad (farm boy) would never have allowed it. So I just ate the minimal I could at home to get away with it.

Shortly after I got married, I fell prey to a mysterious illness that would have me throwing up for several days at a time, every couple of weeks. I finally figured out that I was intolerant of beef and dairy. As I searched for new foods to add to our repertoire, I joined some vegetarian and vegan listserves, started to learn how to be vegetarian, and started to learn about Drs. McDougall, Ornish, Esselstyn, Barnard, etc. and the benefits of a low fat vegetarian diet. And that was when I made the change.
  • StheK
    StheK Posts: 443 Member

Wow. Just... wow.

Nope, that wasn't enough wow. Wow.
  • ecka723
    ecka723 Posts: 148 Member

Wow, I take offense to this. Just because you say "no offense" it doesn't mean it's okay to say. Why would you group people together based on the actions of a few?

I am "health nut" as considered by your post. I think most people feel that way because they have never known someone who was vegetarian or they know nothing about vegetarian. Why not take the time to help educate them about vegetarianism instead of generalizing an entire subgroup of a population?

I chose the vegetarian diet because of how I felt after giving up meat. That doesn't mean I am less vegetarian than anyone else, or that I am doing it for the wrong reasons. It just means I am different than you.
  • VegKate
    VegKate Posts: 55 Member
    I would add THE ENVIRONMENTALIST. I mostly went vegetarian to reduce my impact on the environment with a little bit of the other three mixed in.
  • Aurora1525
    Perhaps I need to revise.

There are two types of vegetarian health nuts. I'm totally okay with those of you out there who went vegetarian for your health. But there are some health nuts who take it to an extreme - eating a strict raw diet, drinking green smoothies, going so far as to eat tofu straight from the container. Sure, it's their perogative...but it's these types of health nuts that scream to high heavens that their way is the "right way" and then I have to deal with people thinking that vegetarianism is a joyless eating experience. That's what bothers me -- not the healthy eating part, but how forcefully they make others believe vegetarianism is this boring, strict way of eating.
  • SJVZEE
    SJVZEE Posts: 451 Member

There are two types of vegetarian health nuts. I'm totally okay with those of you out there who went vegetarian for your health. But there are some health nuts who take it to an extreme - eating a strict raw diet, drinking green smoothies, going so far as to eat tofu straight from the container. Sure, it's their perogative...but it's these types of health nuts that scream to high heavens that their way is the "right way" and then I have to deal with people thinking that vegetarianism is a joyless eating experience. That's what bothers me -- not the healthy eating part, but how forcefully they make others believe vegetarianism is this boring, strict way of eating.

Um, I eat a green smoothie everyday-I hardly consider that 'extreme'. It is however, a great way to get in the dark green leafy veggies. And I thoroughly enjoy them-no joyless eating here. I also use the self-check out lanes at the store, or go to those whacky hippy places called farmers markets, where everyone is a nut. Don't worry-the checkout clerks in my area stores are safe from me and my 'extreme' vegetarianism :smokin:
  • ecka723
    ecka723 Posts: 148 Member

Instead of antagonizing people, maybe you should try to educate people about vegetarianism.

I don't understand how people thinking their eating path is 'the right way' has anything to do with making others believe vegetarianism is a boring and strict way of eating. I guess I also don't understand why you seem to be getting bent out of shape about what others think of your diet. Their opinions don't matter. Why are you letting their misconstrued conceptions about vegetarianism affect you?

FYI, I have known vegetarians from your classifications that behave in the manner you speak of, as well as vegans. It's not just 'health nut vegetarians.' If you are going to get angry at the health nut vegetarians for creating this 'stigma' then you need to get upset with the other types of vegetarians and vegans that do it too.
  • hollymartin90
    hollymartin90 Posts: 57 Member
    I may be a separate category or a mix of all 3 lol??Basically my parents brought me up as a vegetarian(although they both eat meat now!...)so I never liked the taste of meat (have tried in the past as thought eating meat occasionally could be beneficial to my health),but really dont like the taste/texture.I also am quite health conscious and also agree with all the ethical reasons behind vegetarianism.
  • jrbb03092
    jrbb03092 Posts: 198 Member
    And I'm a health vegetarian but mostly the decision was made for me when my body decided it couldn't handle eating meat anymore (post-infectious motility disorder after becoming very ill and being hospitalized while travelling in Peru).
  • ballerina_tea
    ballerina_tea Posts: 41 Member
    Animal lover, which led way to flavor hater, and eventually turned into health nut. I actually started out vegan for a few years, but lost my morals to cheese pizza.
  • shanti_777
    shanti_777 Posts: 45 Member
    The Spiritual Human: Hindu Vegetarians know that it is spiritually damaging to consume the dead bodies of other species
  • elliej
    elliej Posts: 466 Member
    As a 'Raised Vegetarian' I fit into none of your categories.

While I disagree with your 'health nut veggie' hate I have a similar bugbear. I struggle with "preachy" vegetarians give us all a bad name by aggressively try to convert meaties by shouting them down and being disrespectful about their choices...

I'm not saying I don't judge mcdonalds eaters because that would not be entirely accurate but I still wouldn't scream meat is murder in their faces either.
  • Via_14
    Via_14 Posts: 992 Member
    While I love animals, id have to say im a "By Default Vegetarian" LOL

Mum turned veg when i was 12 so since then ive been veg and had no issues.

However i also fall under the "Fake vegetarian" category in that occasionally and rarely and depending on the day (Hindu custom) I will eat chicken or eggs. Just those two.

If it wasn't for chicken id be fo real!! I could never and never have or will cut up a dead carcass to eat. I know id eat the chicken but i cant prepare it!!!

Anyways all the best to you all!
  • Chelsarrr
    Chelsarrr Posts: 65 Member
    RELIGIOUS VEGETARIANS. My grandparents were 7th day Adventists, which lead them to a plant-based diet. Also Hindus, Buddhists, etc...