Protein shakes?

Options
jaceface87
jaceface87 Posts: 35 Member
Hello all!

Not sure if anyone can help me on this, but I've been doing strength training and I know a lot of non-paleo people use whey protein shakes and seem to get great results. My boyfriends cousin for example was able to put on quite a bit of muscle in a fairly small amount of time and she does not follow a paleo diet. I've been eating sweet potatoes and starchy veggies and lots of protein, but I can't seem to be able to put on enough muscle for all of the work I've done. It's rather frustrating, especially when I know I worked out very hard and makes me feel like perhaps I have the wrong approach. I don't want to resort to eating non-paleo foods, but I'm just not getting the results I want. Anyone have any advice on post workout meals to improve muscle building? Thanks!

Replies

• CajunTexan33
    CajunTexan33 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I use Merrikh Medical Paleo Protein powder- its perfect for me- uses a pea based protein. I have gluten and dairy intolerances ..so its perfect with some unsweetened vanilla almond milk! can google it- there is online website. Merrikhmedical.com
  • b_ray_73
    b_ray_73 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I also use protein powder right after my lifting days, not because it's a magical shake, but because I try to always have protein within 1/2 hour of lifting and that's the way I can do it. Driving home and cooking just takes too long.

That said, there are a ton of variables that can affect how quickly and much women gain muscle. It's definitely not restricted to after-workout protein, it can be affected by stress, not enough sleep, how long you've been training, the kind of training you're doing, how much you are eating (not eating enough), what you're eating, and many other things.
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    Hello all!

Not sure if anyone can help me on this, but I've been doing strength training and I know a lot of non-paleo people use whey protein shakes and seem to get great results. My boyfriends cousin for example was able to put on quite a bit of muscle in a fairly small amount of time and she does not follow a paleo diet. I've been eating sweet potatoes and starchy veggies and lots of protein, but I can't seem to be able to put on enough muscle for all of the work I've done. It's rather frustrating, especially when I know I worked out very hard and makes me feel like perhaps I have the wrong approach. I don't want to resort to eating non-paleo foods, but I'm just not getting the results I want. Anyone have any advice on post workout meals to improve muscle building? Thanks!

You're not going to put on any muscle if you're eating in a caloric deficit. If your goal is to lose fat, do that and continue to lift weights to preserve as much lean body mass as possible. You'll certainly get stronger during that period, but gaining muscle requires eating at a caloric surplus...just from glancing at your ticker, I'm guessing that's your issue, not the PWO nutrition. If you have indeed been eating a bit above your maintenance level calories and are not gaining, that's another issue. Perhaps you need to eat more in general?

I lift 5 days/week and use whey protein immediately PWO, then an hour or two later, I have a meal. My goals are to build strength (not the same as building muscle) and lose fat. It's working....