Protein shakes?

Options
jaceface87
jaceface87 Posts: 35 Member
Hello all!

Not sure if anyone can help me on this, but I've been doing strength training and I know a lot of non-paleo people use whey protein shakes and seem to get great results. My boyfriends cousin for example was able to put on quite a bit of muscle in a fairly small amount of time and she does not follow a paleo diet. I've been eating sweet potatoes and starchy veggies and lots of protein, but I can't seem to be able to put on enough muscle for all of the work I've done. It's rather frustrating, especially when I know I worked out very hard and makes me feel like perhaps I have the wrong approach. I don't want to resort to eating non-paleo foods, but I'm just not getting the results I want. Anyone have any advice on post workout meals to improve muscle building? Thanks!

Replies

• _Amy_Budd
    _Amy_Budd Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Well, I'll do a whey protein shake, but when I'm Whole30-ing, I'll have a big plate of eggs after a workout, or a can of tuna or sockeye salmon... Also, I like to always keep a bunch of cooked chicken in the fridge (either roasted legs/thighs, or grilled chicken breasts), so I could always grab a big serving of that after a workout, too... Really try to up the protein, and not just after a workout, but in general, and on an ongoing basis.

:)
    Amy
  • justaspoonfulofsugar
    justaspoonfulofsugar Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    I wasn't doing anything with regards to protein shakes and have been lifting for about 10 weeks.Everyday I have been under on my protein and decided to add in shakes after lifting.I'm not sure if it's working yet as it was only last week but will be paying close attention over the coming weeks.
    I don't see why it's an issue and there are paleo protein powders out there so you don't have to deviate from the plan but expect to pay a bit for them.
    I have choosen to take whey powder that has no hormones/antibiotics and also has stevia in it,for me,it's ok
  • CajunTexan33
    CajunTexan33 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Hmmmm think my post was deleted. I use an awesome Paleo protein powder..use a pea based protein.. hormone free..its really great. I am actually dairy and gluten intolerant and this one is perfect for me. Merrikh brand. Have to google. :)
  • cw822
    cw822 Posts: 107
    Options
    I found I wasn't getting enough protein either. I use Reserveage Organic Whey Protein and add non-fat greek yogurt and unsweetened Almond Milk as a post-workout shake.