new to Paleo

Options
Hey guys, I'm relatively new to Paleo. Ive tried it on occasion, but it never lasted very long. I have a marathon coming up, and my traditional American diet just didn't give me what I needed for my last one. Ive decided to really commit for 30 days and see if this is right for me. Its only been about a week and so far I'm sluggish and tired. I know there's going to be a transitional phase, but could someone please share some encou4aging words? Let me know how you got through transitioning or how great your eventual results have been. Id love to hear about it.

Thanks!

Replies

• Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Hi. I am currently "doing" my first Whole30 (day 5) but I have been keto Primal for a year. There is a transitional phase that varies by person. You will get through it and you will feel awesome soon.... as long as you stick with it! It's a lifestyle that needs 100% commitment; at least in the beginning.

I am mostly having a fairly easy time with my Whole30 because the only big change was giving up the dairy. However, the dairy is not going down without a fight. Day 3 really sucked.

Try to get through the 30 days and see how you feel. Keep in mind though, depending on health issues etc, some people take longer to get their health issues resolved. Mine will take 2 years at least, but already my health improvements are AMAZING. Weight loss? That's nice, but not my primary focus. I'm Paleo for life; no deadline.
  • momof2osaurus
    momof2osaurus Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I felt like crap for a bit in the beginning too. Now I feel like crap when I don't eat paleo. :) I've heard adding some more fat can help with the yuck that comes at first too, maybe give that a try? Feel free to friend me!
  • rkasper22
    rkasper22 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    hi tory! for me, it was a gradual transition. i played with what worked for me, in what amounts, until i started to find a routine that worked for me. especially if you are running and don't want to have a week of just dead-ness, i would recommend keeping your paleo carbs up. i know some people do great on low carb, so just see how you are. i get cranky, can't sleep, and am hungry all the tinme if i dont have them, and have NO energy to workout, so just see how you feel and be gentle with yourself. you don't have to "rip the bandaid off" all in one fell swoop if you don't want/need to. you can do it!
  • lighteningjeanne855
    lighteningjeanne855 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    You're experiencing the "low-carb flu".

Here's an explanation:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/low-carb-flu/#axzz2at0MfQHw

Best wishes!
  • torybobory1989
    torybobory1989 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! I have been feeling better and better every day. After a bit more research and evaluation, I found that adding the occasional pinch of salt and a bit more carbohydrate to power through long runs should help me get through this transition pretty easily. It's really great to hear from people who have been successful. Please add me as a friend if you'd like to keep up!

Thanks again!