Coconut oil

Options
AmIhealthyyet
AmIhealthyyet Posts: 361 Member
I purchased a giant container of coconut oil on my last shopping trip but now I am just staring at it! I do very little cooking and other then throwing some shrimp on the grill with it I haven't touched it! How are all you Paleo folks including it in your day? I would love to increase my healthy fats.

Replies

• ladyfyre13
    Options
    The first time I used coconut oil I was surprised at how easily it went from a lard like substance to melted- just by touching it with my finger. I just started Paleo but so far I used it in a paleo bread recipe and in the place of cooking with butter. I’ve also added it to a smoothie for a bit of good-fat.

Here is a website with 101 uses –not just cooking uses.
    http://wellnessmama.com/5734/101-uses-for-coconut-oil/

I hope this helps

Stacie
  • AmIhealthyyet
    Options
    The first time I used coconut oil I was surprised at how easily it went from a lard like substance to melted- just by touching it with my finger. I just started Paleo but so far I used it in a paleo bread recipe and in the place of cooking with butter. I’ve also added it to a smoothie for a bit of good-fat.

Here is a website with 101 uses –not just cooking uses.
    http://wellnessmama.com/5734/101-uses-for-coconut-oil/

I hope this helps

Stacie

Wow, thanks Stacie!
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    In my coffee everyday and I cook/saute with it. Also, I will melt it and mix in berries or nuts or seeds or coconut or cocoa or a combination for a quick snack. I use it or MCT for my child's smoothies as well. I also use red palm oil to saute with on occasion.
  • AmIhealthyyet
    Options
    In my coffee everyday and I cook/saute with it. Also, I will melt it and mix in berries or nuts or seeds or coconut or cocoa or a combination for a quick snack. I use it or MCT for my child's smoothies as well. I also use red palm oil to saute with on occasion.

I just mixed it with a heated up left over cup of coffee, AWESOME! I also zapped it with my whey protein I had warmed up, Good, not great. I also had a spoonful, YUCK! Haha. Can't figure out how people can eat it that way! I keep plugging along, trying not to be to rigid with 'rules' as it turns on my obsessive tendencies and I binge but i am finding out more and more as time goes by that the fuel I personally need (maybe not others) tends to NOT include the process stuff. Like a child though if I think I 'can't have it that is what I want!

My husband used coconut oil for chicken on the grill last night, doing a combo of first browning then throwing it in pan with the oil to finish up. It was out of this world!
  • ladyfyre13
    Options

My husband used coconut oil for chicken on the grill last night, doing a combo of first browning then throwing it in pan with the oil to finish up. It was out of this world!

This sounds awesome!
  • rotnkat
    rotnkat Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I take a tablespoon about 20 minutes prior to eating.

I cook just about everything with it (sometimes I use 1/2 coconut and 1/2 pasture butter).

I use it to take off my makeup and as a all over moisturizer. Also use a it as my hair balm. Just remember a little goes a long way!!!!

I make fat bombs and bulletproof coffee with it.

Just to name a few.
  • Mrs_Duh
    Mrs_Duh Posts: 263
    Options
    Aside from using it for cooking and baking, I also put it in my coffee with a splash of real vanilla extract. : )
  • karmahealer
    karmahealer Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    wow! I can't wait to try some of these suggestions! So far I've just used it to saute with, and it is awesome with Paleo Coconut Chicken :) I am going to try it on my face today, as I've heard great things from others who use it for skin.
  • justaspoonfulofsugar
    justaspoonfulofsugar Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    on a non cooking note,for those of you that shave legs and the rest,it is VERY good for shaving.
    If you have skin issues(allergic reactions)it works a charm for taking away itchy skin.
    Be careful in the type of oil you are buying for eating.
    Here is a good explanation of the processing of coconut oil and the farce that is "extra virgin" (it is a marketing ploy)
    http://www.tropicaltraditions.com/what_is_virgin_coconut_oil.htm.
    I am not a fan of tropical traditions..it's a good oil but I prefer artisana as it tastes like coconut oil..
  • sarbar71
    sarbar71 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    It is very good for sauteing vegetables in. Chicken too, if you like the taste of coconut, but if not, save it for your soups and sauces. Put 1-2 tbsp in a pot of soup, chili, or tomato based sauce and it seems to make my sauces more creamy and flavorful. I also put it in the micro for a few seconds to melt it down and then pour some of it into a separate jar for all of my skin care - It is a truly fabulous make-up remover (even with waterproof mascara), eye cream (use it in place of your wrinkle creams), and general moisturizer. I seriously LOVE how soft it makes my legs feel. I put it on right after shaving and getting out of the shower and my legs feel soft and silky all day long!! Oh - and my dog LOVES it too. I give it to her very sparingly, but have read that it can help with thyroid function, aid in digestion, and help give a shiny coat.
  • greycee67
    greycee67 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I use it in place of butter also... Add it when making scrambled eggs or omelets..
  • AmIhealthyyet
    Options
    Thanks! These are some great ideas! Much appreciated!
  • KBGirts
    KBGirts Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    Soeties when I am feeling slightly hungry, I just eat a tablespoon or two right out of the jar! LOL! It's kinda gross at first, but you get used to it. It makes my hunger go away.