Strikes at McDonald's, Wendy's to pay employees $15 hour.

Options

Replies

• UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Now the company can either raise the wage to a level that they would consider acceptable or they can reject their demands fire them and hire other employees at their current rate.

This is what will happen. Most states are 'Right-to-Work' and fast food/retail industries are not unionized. When I worked in retail, we were all informed that if we decided to strike, we would be fired and replaced.
  • soldier4242
    soldier4242 Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    That is actually a concern of mine. If that many workers get fired all at once there will be a surge of people applying for government assistance. That would just be a bigger drain on the already strained reserves of their local coffers. I am sure this whole strike will somehow be blamed on Obama too. Just you wait.
  • FearAnLoathingJ
    FearAnLoathingJ Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I think they just want to make more than 7.25 an hour. But 15 dollars is a bit much. cashiers at aldis grocery store make 11.25 an hour plus,and they don't even have to bag anything lol

OMG! I need a new job!! I don't even make that much, and I'm in administration!! :noway:

With two degrees!!

Not only that but they get to sit in office chairs as they ring people up. If they ever open one close to my house I'm there!
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    crazy,
  • robdel302
    robdel302 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    That is actually a concern of mine. If that many workers get fired all at once there will be a surge of people applying for government assistance. That would just be a bigger drain on the already strained reserves of their local coffers. I am sure this whole strike will somehow be blamed on Obama too. Just you wait.

If this is considered being fired for misconduct, they would be ineligible for unemployment.
  • soldier4242
    Options
    If this is considered being fired for misconduct, they would be ineligible for unemployment.
    I don't know if they can call it misconduct from a legal perspective. They are really just not going to work. I know they can fire them for that but I think they will be eligible for assistance.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I am sure this whole strike will somehow be blamed on Obama too. Just you wait.

Oh, I can make that connection for you. Fast food restaurants and retail chains have cut all their employees down to less than 30 hour a week. Can you guess why?

So, they don't have to offer them insurance. Yep... Obamacare.

Before Obamacare, these companies could work employees as much as 38 hours a week and still call them part-time, and therefore, they didn't have to provide insurance. No one was striking then.
  • soldier4242
    Options
    Well don't worry because the next president is going to be a right wing conservative christian republican. I am sure he will fix everything.
  • FearAnLoathingJ
    FearAnLoathingJ Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Well don't worry because the next president is going to be a right wing conservative christian republican. I am sure he will fix everything.

That is terrifying
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    "Picketers in seven cities say McDonald's, Wendy's and other fast-food chains should pay employees $15 an hour. But the restaurant industry says that would force those companies to cut jobs."

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/2013/07/30/206714894/fast-food-strikers-demand-a-living-wage?utm_source=NPR&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=20130730

You are kidding me, right? $15 an hour to flip burgers? NO. Just no. GTFO. Am I the only one who thinks that these people are out of their damn mind? This is exactly the kind of bullsh^t mentality that has all our jobs being outsourced to other countries. I can almost hear people complaining about immigrants taking our jobs.... you know why they do, because they don't f%^%$ ask for $15 bucks to flip a damn burger!!! Ugh

How are you going to outsource a McDonald's job to another country?
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    Why would anyone assume that they could live off a job at a burger joint? These are good jobs for students or someone who works a second job but to expect to be able to live off a job that requires no training, not even a high school diploma, is ignorant.

Workers should be paid based on their skills and abilities. Making a sandwich, tapping a screen and swiping a card are not skills that warrant a $15/hr pay rate.

To quote a comment on the article that I really agreed with, "$15 an hour for unskilled labor will, among other things, simply push all other wages higher. Two things will follow: fewer jobs will be created and inflation caused by higher wages will eat away at the new "pay raises". Economic realities are what they are, even if we want to believe differently."

Is it realistic for every paperboy, busboy and burger flipper to expect to earn a living wage? Those are traditionally high school jobs for play money. Now jobs of high school dropouts who think they deserve what everyone else their age has, without the work.
  • treetop57
    treetop57 Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    Shocking that people who don't have a high school diploma are ignorant.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options
    So, people working at the most basic entry-level jobs that require no more skill than remedial arithmetic feel that they should earn what many college graduates earn?

When they can barely perform the function of their job properly as it is? (Except the guy at the drive-thru at my local Taco Bell, that dude is amaaaaazing.)

Seems legit.
  • Morninglory81
    Morninglory81 Posts: 1,190 Member
    Options
    I personally feel that the minimum wage should be lowered.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    lol after I finished my undergrad I had to take a job that was basically paying me less than minimum wage after all the unpaid overtime I put in there.

I can understand $10 for restaurant workers, store workers etc but $15 would be too much. Unless they raise the salaries of other workers too.

But then you look at other professions. A line worker at GM makes $40/hour (or so I hear)? And he doesn't need much education either. But as a Computer professional, I got a $40/hour job AFTER I got my Masters degree AND it would be living in an area where the cost of living is fairly high.
  • whierd
    Options
    lol after I finished my undergrad I had to take a job that was basically paying me less than minimum wage after all the unpaid overtime I put in there.

I can understand $10 for restaurant workers, store workers etc but $15 would be too much. Unless they raise the salaries of other workers too.

But then you look at other professions. A line worker at GM makes $40/hour (or so I hear)? And he doesn't need much education either. But as a Computer professional, I got a $40/hour job AFTER I got my Masters degree AND it would be living in an area where the cost of living is fairly high.

New line workers at GM do not make nearly that much anymore.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options

When I lived in MI, this was what I learned. If you can score a unionized line work job, you get a very good pay (not sure $40 but at least more than $15 or even $20). The contract workers they hired via contract companies (which they often do because it reduces the cost by a lot) were paid much less but still $10.

Whatever the case might be, the point is, that if you, as a professional, aren't getting paid enough, then raise some voice as a group. In which case they will likely outsource your job to China and you will be working at Wendy's flipping burger. Enjoy the $15/hour then folks
  • mrmagee3
    mrmagee3 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I am all for people being paid a fair wage, but then it should be the opposite of trickle down economics...where's my pay increase for the work I have to do. Is that going to trickle up once fast food employees start making $15/hr?

Disclaimer, I have no idea if I have used the term trickle down economics properly. I just like saying trickle.

Well, if Wendy's paying people $15/hour causes people at white collar firms to go work at Wendy's instead of their own job, as you suggested you would do, then yes, your firms would likely start paying more money to retain the talent that exists there.

My guess would be you wouldn't see a large exodus of people going to Wendy's.
  • mrmagee3
    mrmagee3 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I am sure this whole strike will somehow be blamed on Obama too. Just you wait.

Oh, I can make that connection for you. Fast food restaurants and retail chains have cut all their employees down to less than 30 hour a week. Can you guess why?

So, they don't have to offer them insurance. Yep... Obamacare.

Before Obamacare, these companies could work employees as much as 38 hours a week and still call them part-time, and therefore, they didn't have to provide insurance. No one was striking then.

No strikes happened before Obama? :smokin: :noway:
  • whierd
    Options

When I lived in MI, this was what I learned. If you can score a unionized line work job, you get a very good pay (not sure $40 but at least more than $15 or even $20). The contract workers they hired via contract companies (which they often do because it reduces the cost by a lot) were paid much less but still $10.

Whatever the case might be, the point is, that if you, as a professional, aren't getting paid enough, then raise some voice as a group. In which case they will likely outsource your job to China and you will be working at Wendy's flipping burger. Enjoy the $15/hour then folks

Yeah, a decade ago that was very true, GM line workers were vastly overpaid. But since the bankruptcy they are now paying in line with other manufacturers, which is around $15/hr start out.