Getting Test for RMR & Body composition

Options
schmeckpeper
schmeckpeper Posts: 23 Member
So yesterday I went to the local university and started my participation in a physical activity study. They tested my RMR, did a body scan, and outfitted me with 8 different monitors that I have to wear over the next seven days. I go back next Thursday for a few more activity tests (sitting, standing, walking, etc) and then a max V02 test. I also gave a baseline urine sample and then drank an oxygen infused 4 oz water bottle (I was told it cost $1,000) and then proceeded to give them 3 more samples. When I return I have to give a few more samples to see how much cleared out of my system (they say it acts as a tracer). So excited to learn exactly how my body ticks so that I can finally get the results I deserve to have based on all the effort I'm putting in. Right now however, I look like Lindsey Lohan. Monitors on both ankles, both wrists, both hips, a heart rate monitor and receiver, GPS unit and a camera. A lot to put up with for 7 days but seeing as I was willing to pay them for the RMR and body scan.....and they are paying ME instead to participate in this study....it just might all be worth it! Will update you guys when I find out the results. I encourage everyone to check into their local universities to see if there is a study available to you. A guy was there getting his results when I was (he looked so LEAN...but told he was in the 50th percentile for body fat!) and was told his RMR was 1700. He was blown away. He had been eating only 1800 average and running 6 days a week AND weight lifting. He walked out of there on a mission to find a cheeseburger. He had been under-eating soooo much! Priceless information to have when we are all working so hard!

Very curious where my results will come in. Despite eating well and working out hard I'm 2 pounds heavier than I was back in late April. I am down 1 pant size since then but even that progress is very slow. Down to my last 15 pounds so I know its rough going from this point on. That's why arming myself with this information about MY BODY instead of averages from a calculator is so important to me. We are all unique! No more guessing for me! Time to get serious! :-)

Has anyone else done this type of testing? Can you share your results and the changes you made based on it.....and the resulting progress of your new plan?

Replies

• CanGirl40
    CanGirl40 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Wow - you are SO lucky!!!!! Closest bodpod to me is hours away so not going to happen! I sure wish I had that information! I have rely on fitbit/HRM! Good luck and let us know your results!
  • getyourbeans
    getyourbeans Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Hi! I actually had my RMR testing done and a DEXA scan last week. The Dexa Scan was quite confronting - my arms, for example, really aren't very big but they are pretty much just bone and fat. I also thought my legs were bigger because they're muscular but nope, pretty high proportion of fat there too! It has really motivated me to take resistance training more seriously and I think will be a great baseline to compare to when I get retested in a few months time.

You're gizmo's sound cool - I'd love to have that sort of testing done (although don't think I could work kitted out with that type of gear). Would love to hear your results!
  • schmeckpeper
    schmeckpeper Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Interesting about the DEXA scan. That is the same scan they did on me. Can't wait to learn the results next week. I was able to peek at the screen but have no clue what it meant. Weird to see your body on the screen like that though! I've been doing resistance training for 6 months and most recently upped to heavy lifting so I'm really hoping it shows a good amount of muscle. I'm 3 days in now and these monitors are getting annoying...thank goodness its only 7 days! LOL!

HaleyC2.....what was your RMR and do you think it makes sense based on the results you've seen so far? Did you make any adjustments? And if so, have you seen any difference yet? (I know its only been a week).

Will update as soon as I can! :-)
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Sounds awesome to have all that data and get paid for it. I pay to have my blood work done every three months and have a body scan done every six months (Next one is in October or November). I've given up on a scale ever telling me much that is useful, and taping body parts can only go so far. The scans and the blood work give you real data you can work with.

What I've learned, looking fit is not the same as being fit.
  • getyourbeans
    Options
    Interesting about the DEXA scan. That is the same scan they did on me. Can't wait to learn the results next week. I was able to peek at the screen but have no clue what it meant. Weird to see your body on the screen like that though! I've been doing resistance training for 6 months and most recently upped to heavy lifting so I'm really hoping it shows a good amount of muscle. I'm 3 days in now and these monitors are getting annoying...thank goodness its only 7 days! LOL!

HaleyC2.....what was your RMR and do you think it makes sense based on the results you've seen so far? Did you make any adjustments? And if so, have you seen any difference yet? (I know its only been a week).

Will update as soon as I can! :-)

My RMR was 1526 - so I think a bit less than what the estimates tell me, but not heaps less. I do still get a wee bit confused about the difference between RMR and BMR - I believe RMR is very slightly higher but not entirely sure. It hasn't really changed what I've been doing, I still struggle with my intake - I guess it was just confirmation for me that I can't blame a slow metabolism, any weight gain is because I have been eating too much or not moving enough. It's more that it has cut out the excuses :-) I am making a conscious effort to be as close as accurate with my logging now (I wear a fit bit and I am avoiding any licks/bites/tastes that aren't measured) so I'm hoping in a month or two I should have a pretty good idea of what my calorie intake and expenditure really is.

Have you had any more results back yet?
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    RMR is about 150-250 higher than BMR. Difference between basic life functions sleeping, and that and more repair functions while awake. Though you obviously can repair while asleep, but that's why they have you do RMR preferably after a rest day so not inflated for that repair reason.

What is interesting with the double tests like that is - is the RMR/BMR within range based on LBM, since that is now known stat?

Because BMR/RMR based on LBM if metabolism is normal (not underfed, no medical issues, not endurance cardio trained, ect) is for I think it was 95% of population within 5% of estimate.

That's why I always recommend if only money for one test, get the bodyfat % and know where you should be eating.

RMR test without that stat isn't really a useful figure on it's own. Is it high or low to calculated? Based on age, weight, height, or bodyfat% that was estimated and could be 5% off too?
    If it's already suppressed RMR, do you really want to eat to it, meaning basing TDEE on it, and then taking a deficit, and suppressing it more?

I'm doing this post because I want to follow the study results too.
    I've noticed many studies on diet will explicitly say the participant was NOT on any diet or had any weight change or change in exercise for previous 3 to 6 months - because they know how undereating will screw up the body and study results.
  • getyourbeans
    Options
    RMR is about 150-250 higher than BMR. Difference between basic life functions sleeping, and that and more repair functions while awake. Though you obviously can repair while asleep, but that's why they have you do RMR preferably after a rest day so not inflated for that repair reason.

What is interesting with the double tests like that is - is the RMR/BMR within range based on LBM, since that is now known stat?

Because BMR/RMR based on LBM if metabolism is normal (not underfed, no medical issues, not endurance cardio trained, ect) is for I think it was 95% of population within 5% of estimate.

That's why I always recommend if only money for one test, get the bodyfat % and know where you should be eating.

RMR test without that stat isn't really a useful figure on it's own. Is it high or low to calculated? Based on age, weight, height, or bodyfat% that was estimated and could be 5% off too?
    If it's already suppressed RMR, do you really want to eat to it, meaning basing TDEE on it, and then taking a deficit, and suppressing it more?

I'm doing this post because I want to follow the study results too.
    I've noticed many studies on diet will explicitly say the participant was NOT on any diet or had any weight change or change in exercise for previous 3 to 6 months - because they know how undereating will screw up the body and study results.

Hi Heybales

Based on my bodyfat results from the DEXA (which were actually much worse than expected - I am just within the healthy range for BMI, but obese for body fat at 33%!!) my RRM results were slightly lower than predicted Benedict Harris BMR but higher than Katch McArdle BMR - but taking into account the extra 150 or so for difference between RMR and BMR, then Katch McArdle is actually pretty close - not as unique as I thought :-) I'm a little on the low side, but not hundreds lower like I had feared.

I am going to get another DEXA scan in about three months - I have to say seeing the actual pictures was a bit of a harsh reality, I really don't have a considerable amount of muscle in my arms and legs, but there was a very prominent "yellow outline". Apparently DEXA scans are the most accurate tool for measuring body composition so I'm taking it for what it is. I hate strength training, but these results have motivated me to put less focus on a deficit through diet/cardio and more focus on improving my body composition.

Still interested to hear OP's results...
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Based on my bodyfat results from the DEXA (which were actually much worse than expected - I am just within the healthy range for BMI, but obese for body fat at 33%!!) my RRM results were slightly lower than predicted Benedict Harris BMR but higher than Katch McArdle BMR - but taking into account the extra 150 or so for difference between RMR and BMR, then Katch McArdle is actually pretty close - not as unique as I thought :-) I'm a little on the low side, but not hundreds lower like I had feared.

I am going to get another DEXA scan in about three months - I have to say seeing the actual pictures was a bit of a harsh reality, I really don't have a considerable amount of muscle in my arms and legs, but there was a very prominent "yellow outline". Apparently DEXA scans are the most accurate tool for measuring body composition so I'm taking it for what it is. I hate strength training, but these results have motivated me to put less focus on a deficit through diet/cardio and more focus on improving my body composition.

So test RMR should be higher than Katch BMR. By that 150-250 amount.

That it was slightly less than the inflated Harris BMR does sound about right.

And perfect example that if you had based your TDEE estimates on that commonly inflated Harris BMR, you'd likely with 15% cut not actually have a deficit in place at all.

Use this formula to see what your adjusted BMR would be, based on tested RMR.

(21.6*(CW-(CW-(RMR-500)/22))+370)

Now if that adjusted BMR is close to Katch BMR, then your metabolism is running at expected level.

Very true with composition.
    So another DEXA in 3 months, don't be depressed that you can't make muscle changes as far as building muscle in 3 months.
    But you can get stronger, even if it won't show up on scan.