Signs a guy is into you

Replies

• Carlyannabelle
    Carlyannabelle Posts: 621 Member
    I just had another thought. People who use and abuse other are generally (I would like to think) insecure and unhappy. Where would you meet people who were generally the opposite?

Does anyone have ideas? Happy people tend to have hobbies other than picking up chicks at bars. Maybe some sort of activity group, group class, volunteer work, etc. I just joined a hiking group on meetup.com and it is great. I also run into really interesting people volunteering for a local organization. Mostly old gay men, but hey it's a start.

Carly, of course. ;)

It's funny you mention meetup.com. I just recently signed up in my area and it looks amazing. I think a different setting like you mentioned, rather than a bar or specific dating sites could have a completely different type of people. Finding like minded individuals could lead to some kind of relationship, you never know. Especially if you are in the same group then you already have something in common. I think you are on to something. :o)

Thank you!!....I am thinking beach wedding in Bora Bora. :tongue:
  • raige123
    raige123 Posts: 352
    I don't use people for sex, but here are some things I might to to indicate I was really interested in you:

- Make plans ahead of time as opposed to "hey, what are you up to tonight?"
    - Make plans that involve more than "come over to my place and watch a movie"
    - Offer to bring you out with my friends (but this one might take a while, I could be really into you and not have this happen for a long time. My friends are crazy, so it's more of making sure you are ready for it)
    - Do something that shows there was thought or research involved - like look into something you said you were interested in or bring some little trinket of a gift that is relevant to a conversation we had
    - Let you know something about myself that could be used to judge me negatively
    - Listen more than talk
    - Take you somewhere I am a regular at (mine is a cool local cafe / bakery)
    - Do something slightly out of character showing an effort - I might wear a collar shirt and make damn sure I point it out. Too relaxed might mean uncaring, but maybe not

Probably more stuff.

Oddly enough the first 2 items on your list have happened with the last few guys I have dated only not in your way but the other. Always the "what are you up to tonight" usually at suppertime and "let's watch a movie at your place or mine". I think I need to start putting my foot down and if a guy isn't putting in the effort, I will follow suit and put in the same amount. Thank you for these.
  • raige123
    I just had another thought. People who use and abuse other are generally (I would like to think) insecure and unhappy. Where would you meet people who were generally the opposite?

Does anyone have ideas? Happy people tend to have hobbies other than picking up chicks at bars. Maybe some sort of activity group, group class, volunteer work, etc. I just joined a hiking group on meetup.com and it is great. I also run into really interesting people volunteering for a local organization. Mostly old gay men, but hey it's a start.

Carly, of course. ;)

It's funny you mention meetup.com. I just recently signed up in my area and it looks amazing. I think a different setting like you mentioned, rather than a bar or specific dating sites could have a completely different type of people. Finding like minded individuals could lead to some kind of relationship, you never know. Especially if you are in the same group then you already have something in common. I think you are on to something. :o)

Thank you!!....I am thinking beach wedding in Bora Bora. :tongue:

I'm going to look into this meetup.com. Have never heard of it. Could prove to have possibilities.
  • kimad
    kimad Posts: 3,010 Member
    Been there, done that... guys will lie and talk you up to get anything they want (I am sure girls do it too)....

What I have learned is a few things. Stick your boundaries and your values (ie don't have sex when he is ready but when YOU are ready, etc.) and if he hangs around you can see his interest in you or not.

Be careful he isn't promising you hopes of a future for what he wants in the present - it's called 'future faking' look it up :) 'baggage reclaim' website has lots of good info.

But when you are content in you, you have set your boundaries & worth and won't waiver you find the quality men and leave the d-bags behind.
  • kimad
    I don't use people for sex, but here are some things I might to to indicate I was really interested in you:

- Make plans ahead of time as opposed to "hey, what are you up to tonight?"
    - Make plans that involve more than "come over to my place and watch a movie"
    - Offer to bring you out with my friends (but this one might take a while, I could be really into you and not have this happen for a long time. My friends are crazy, so it's more of making sure you are ready for it)
    - Do something that shows there was thought or research involved - like look into something you said you were interested in or bring some little trinket of a gift that is relevant to a conversation we had
    - Let you know something about myself that could be used to judge me negatively
    - Listen more than talk
    - Take you somewhere I am a regular at (mine is a cool local cafe / bakery)
    - Do something slightly out of character showing an effort - I might wear a collar shirt and make damn sure I point it out. Too relaxed might mean uncaring, but maybe not

Probably more stuff.

Great!
  • kimad
    You are probably overlooking huge red flags and then wondering why they hurt you... Personally I don't think you are trusting your gut instincts enough. Don't waiver if you feel creeped out by someone or if they ask you for favors early on. Trust yourself enough to be more decisive and listen to your intuition. With that said, we've all been burned before I'm sure, but the more I listen to that voice in my head/gut the less it has happened to me.

Agree 100%

In my reply I started to list off all these red flags then didn't.....
  • Cameron_1969
    Cameron_1969 Posts: 2,857 Member
    I'll give you some clues to watch out for early on to tell if a guy is really into you.

He's nervous and awkward, his hands shake, he forgets how to do simple *kitten* like read a menu. He blurts out really awkward things. He talks too much. He screws up the goodnight kiss.

This is me anyway. . I'm very cool and charming and confident until I'm blown away by a girl.. Then I'm a blubbering fool. .

True story!
  • kimad
    I'll give you some clues to watch out for early on to tell if a guy is really into you.

He's nervous and awkward, his hands shake, he forgets how to do simple *kitten* like read a menu. He blurts out really awkward things. He talks too much. He screws up the goodnight kiss.

This is me anyway. . I'm very cool and charming and confident until I'm blown away by a girl.. Then I'm a blubbering fool. .

True story!

I don't believe this to me true for all men.
    I was highly played by someone who acted the same way - and admitted it - once he got what he wanted he dropped me like a hot potato.
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Oddly enough the first 2 items on your list have happened with the last few guys I have dated only not in your way but the other. Always the "what are you up to tonight" usually at suppertime and "let's watch a movie at your place or mine".

At what point has this been happening? Immediately and it means he assumes you're only a hookup. A few dates in or in a relationship and it's totally fine as long as it isn't the only time/place you see one another.
  • 4themoney
    4themoney Posts: 797 Member
    that's why i put up those links.

he talks about how the guy who calls that night or weekend looking for plans knows how little you require of him. he could be "into" you, but not like boyfriend "into" you.

there is a difference! he is a guy and gives the usual things to look for from a guy that shows you are more than just sex or a ride, or money.

a couple examples are, he calls you to talk ( not just texting and messaging). he makes contact daily. he makes plans for the weekend WELL before the weekend. he is willing to wait for sex, and more..........
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    actions speak louder than words with guys..

in my experience if they are making plans with you well before the date in question (ie planning the next date while you're still on a date or it's monday and he's asking you out for friday/saturday and then will call to confirm on wednesday only to see if he can sneak in a quick coffee date on thursday :laugh: ) then he's into you

also if he's coming up with excuses to see you then odds are they are into. for instance the last guy i dated pretty much teleported to my apartment, toolbox in hand when i mentioned that i was going to be putting together some furniture .

basically for me if i can tell that a guy is trying to spend quality time with me and being respectful of my time and schedule (ie not just calling to hang out ) then i'm pretty sure that he's into me..

there's also the thing when you run into a friend of his and the friend is like "oh YOU'RE x" :laugh:

ETA. I also found that when guys couldnt see me theyd also call to talk or sometimes to NOT talk (i seriously dont understand that. that seems to be a guy thing)
  • meshashesha2012
    and OP i certainly hope that's you're calling out these *kitten* who are treating you like a doormat. i think some guys (not all) like to test the waters to see what they can get away with and what kind of girl you are. saying something as easy as "dont be a d*ck" usually works to make them realize that you know that they know they are being a jerk.

but honestly at my age when i meet guys who try to see if they can get away with jerk behavior with me, i dont return their calls if they call for another date.
  • Tube_socks
    Tube_socks Posts: 808 Member
    I don't look for specific things really besides the usual: calling, texting, dates, etc. The main thing I look for is consistency, which takes time. A guy can be super excited about you one week then lose interest the next whether it's something you did or not. I've even done it! So I look to see if he's consistent with his actions and efforts. But you have to be patient!

(this is easier said than done.. I'm going through being impatient right now!)
  • raige123
    Oddly enough the first 2 items on your list have happened with the last few guys I have dated only not in your way but the other. Always the "what are you up to tonight" usually at suppertime and "let's watch a movie at your place or mine".

At what point has this been happening? Immediately and it means he assumes you're only a hookup. A few dates in or in a relationship and it's totally fine as long as it isn't the only time/place you see one another.

Pretty much right away. Hardly ever any "out in public" dates. Things like going for drives, or to the beach at night to talk, or movies at their place or mine ... and never planned in advance.
  • raige123
    and OP i certainly hope that's you're calling out these *kitten* who are treating you like a doormat. i think some guys (not all) like to test the waters to see what they can get away with and what kind of girl you are. saying something as easy as "dont be a d*ck" usually works to make them realize that you know that they know they are being a jerk.

but honestly at my age when i meet guys who try to see if they can get away with jerk behavior with me, i dont return their calls if they call for another date.

The lastest guy used me for drives, liquor, smokes, and even to try and get into my friends place as she was renting out a room and didn't want to rent to him. 10 minutes within her saying he could rent it, he had no more use for me and said we were going in 2 different directions/only wants to be friends. Told him everyone was right and he was only using me and he said it's ridiculous to think that because he wouldn't hang out with me just to get a place to live, but he did. Was I being ridiculous because it was a total doucebag user move in my eyes.
  • PlayerHatinDogooder
    PlayerHatinDogooder Posts: 1,018 Member
    If he offers to take you some place fancy like Red Lobster.
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    If he offers to take you some place fancy like Red Lobster.

Every time I see your pic I think of the guy from Tosh.0 :laugh:
  • Tube_socks
    Tube_socks Posts: 808 Member
    I don't know you much at all but from a your posts on here lately you come across as someone who can't say NO, who is a doormat and sorry to say this, but easy.

If I can sniff this from my phone screen, I'm sure men can too! The reason why this is happening is because you're letting them. We all attract guys like this. The difference between you and I is that I say NO. Now, I have been played, don't get me wrong. But usually my relationships have been equal in the giving. There is no way in hell I'd drive a man around after 1 date or 2! And everybody has different opinions on this but I am all about letting a man express his interest in me, specifically in the beginning. Once I feel a bit comfortable, I might make a call. I might offer a round of drinks. I might even take him out to dinner. I don't have sex w/o commitment so I don't remember the last time I felt "used" regarding sex.

You need to seriously take a step back and find some boundaries. ASAP! Or you will be posting these type of posts forever.
  • meshashesha2012
    OP sorry you're having such a hard time distinguishing the keepers from the ones to throw back.

are you just ignoring warning signs at the beginning?
    i know that there's a lot of debate about how much stuff to let pass when you first meet someone, but for me personally i usually have a 0% tolerance about stuff. i pretty much assume that everyone is going to be on their best behavior at the start and then people slowly will relax into their normalcy. if someone comes off as a jerk from the moment we meet, then my assumption is that IS him on is best behavior which means that his normal is going to be something even worse.

it might be old fashioned and unpopular, but IMO there is some value in letting guys do most of the heavy lifting at the start of the relationship. i totally agree with tube socks on that point. He should be courting (:laugh: i sound like my grandma) YOU, if anyone is buying gifts (be it liquor, cigs, whatever) it should be HIM buying for YOU, etc. any guy who's not willing to do that in the beginning you should say thanks but no thanks and move on. of course that doesn't mean that you take advantage of the situation either.

it's just been my experience that when you start treating yourself as if you have value and worth AND keep firm in that, then the guys you attract will do so as well. it might reduce the quantity of dates you get but you'll more than make up for that in quality
  • RunIntheMud
    RunIntheMud Posts: 2,645 Member

Pretty much right away. Hardly ever any "out in public" dates. Things like going for drives, or to the beach at night to talk, or movies at their place or mine ... and never planned in advance.

Tube pretty much summed it up, but I'll throw in my two cents as well.

You're not putting any value in yourself as a person. By letting a man "hang out" with you on a first date, you're establishing yourself as a booty call from the start. He's putting forth any effort, you're not setting any boundaries. There is no room for you to act like a lady and no room for him to treat you like a lady. "Hey baby, let's go to the liquor store". Don't accept hang out dates, don't accept last minute dates early in a relationship. This is my advice to YOU. I am one who will accept last minute dates because I'm a busy, working mother and understand that sometimes we have to seize the moment. The difference is that I can smell out a sleazy @sshole. You are incapable of doing this right now, so don't put yourself in the situation.