Blisters - help!

vlmcwilliams
vlmcwilliams Posts: 46 Member
I'm training for my first half in November. I had never done any regular running before and the furthest I had run before starting training for the half was 5K. I got myself good shoes and socks (my husband who is a runner helped me pick the good ones) and had no trouble with blisters up until recently; since my training runs have gotten longer (10 km/6.2 miles at the moment). I'm worried they are going to de-motivated me and screw up my training - I've only just mentally started to enjoy running and be comfortable with running continuously for an hour.

Any suggestions to help blisters heal faster and prevent them occurring in the first place?

Replies

• pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    What part of your foot are the blisters on?

I like second skin burn pads.
  • PixieAdele
    PixieAdele Posts: 102 Member
    I found my blisters have gone since i got some proper running socks, but you have already mentioned that. compeed is always a good make for blister plasters. maybe its just one of those things that has happened because you have just started upping your milage, maybe your feet are just starting to toughen up?

hope you find something that will help you :)
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    If I'm doing a run with any distance (like over 5 miles) or any race where I'm going to get my feet wet, I tape all my blister hot spots with duct tape before putting on socks.
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    How you treat them will depend on where they are. For example, if you are wearing Asics, you may get blisters in your arch, because they have a two-piece last, and the stitching is in the arch and rubs on you. So a gel insole will clear it right up. If you have them on the outside of your toe, you may have shoes that are two small and need to buy a larger/wider toe box. If you have them on the back of your heel, you can learn how to lock laces, to keep the heel pulled tight...
  • vlmcwilliams
    I get them on the arch of my foot - I do have Asics so that's interesting about the stitching... i'll try an insole and taping/blister plasters but fingers crossed my feet toughen up. Thanks for all the suggestions :)
  • Sox90716
    Sox90716 Posts: 976 Member
    I rub solid antiperspirant on my feet. No blisters! Good luck!
  • cdstaufenbiel
    cdstaufenbiel Posts: 45 Member
    Talk about good timing! I ran 10 miles a couple of weeks ago and ended my run with a pat on the back as well as 3-4 blisters on my right foot (including a mean looking blood blister on the side of my big toe). I came across this post earlier in the week and adopted some of the recommendations (including antiperspirant and new dry-fit socks) for a second go for the 10 mile marker today. Success! Thanks for the pearls of wisdom!
  • vlmcwilliams
    Oh - never thought about antiperspirant! My big blister (about 5-6cm (2in) in diameter) from a week ago is still healing but the blister plaster things seem to be helping.