YOUR success stories

Options
I'd like to hear from people that have successfully overcame a binge. What unique thing did you do that made you stop in your tracks, regain control and put down the food? I know there are tons of things out there that they say you 'should' do to stop a binge, and obviously avoiding them in the first place is the ultimate solution, but this information is all so high level. Let's hear the specific details about what works for you?

Binge eating is new to me, I think I may have developed slight OCD from using MFP and restricing my calories for so long. I keep getting worse and worse. Use ot be just one day a week, then just weekends, now Fridays have become a part of my weekends, and well you must know how the story goes from there. I don't want to undo all the hard work I have done.... I need to find a way to get this under control! SO let's hear your tips and tricks!

Replies

• runningcat76
    Options
    I suffered many years ago with the binge/starve cycle . I am so much better these days and I have found that not cutting out treats completely is the best thing for me. I might plan to have a couple of squares of chocolate in the evening and that gives me something to look forward to rather than craving the chocolate, not allowing myself to have it and then ending up stuffing my face with it only to feel awful afterwards. I also make sure I have a decent plateful of food at meal times. I add loads of salad or veg with a meal so I don't feel like I am cutting back on meals.
    I still have the occasional wobble but I definitely feel more in control. I even managed to stop mid-binge a few weeks ago while I actually had my hand in the fridge! I am not sure how I did it but I did!
  • giveMEbeauty
    giveMEbeauty Posts: 192
    Options
    Bump
  • ObtainingBalance
    ObtainingBalance Posts: 1,446 Member
    Options
    tumblr_lzft5fkWcO1r99ki1o1_400.jpg

I like this, it's comparing recovery of any kind.. (in this cause BED) to writing with your left hand (or whatever hand you aren't used to)
    It feels odd/weird/uncomfortable at first... you might feel anxious, you might really want the comfort of the addiction/coping mechanism... but you have to get used to other ways. Other distractions, other things to use when coping. It isn't easy, but hopefully with time... <3

I haven't gotten over them, but I know others who have gotten better, and it gives me hope.
  • eso2012
    eso2012 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I was bulimic in my 20s. Starved, giddy over the absurdly low number on the scale, binged, downed laxatives, starved again...

I am now 45 and have been out of the cycle for 2 decades. BUT the tendency to binge is still part of my DNA and I am fully aware of that.

One thing I do NOT do anymore is to "diet", as in major calorie deficit, live on lettuce and carrot kind of starvation diet. MFP calories logging has worked exceptionally welll for me in the past 2 years to shed 23 pounds (which is quite a bit for 5"3'' and not perceived as overweight). I thought cal counting was pathetic but it turned out to be what I needed as I can handle huge portions.

So, treats are not taboos. There is no good vs bad food. That has helped A LOT in avoiding any binge triggers. Now I am ready to dig deeper into nutritional info, though on the whole I have always been a relatively clean eater who also love gourmet.

Because of MFP, I have also became a genuine regular exerciser, with a growing epertoire of workouts from Pilates to HIIT. Basically, achieved that "workout everyday like brushing your teeth" lifestyle.

This connection with my body, the yearn to sweat, is another thing to help me with binging. I just had an unusual week of binging (hardly as bad as those in my 20s but still bad) and going back to some kickass workouts really snap me back in gear instantly. One thing I love is that feeling of a shower after a hard workout.

So, I am writing now literally still feeling the bloat and guilt from last night's binging. But I no longer look back, I do U turn, I move on...and that is a far cry from the "black hole" that I know many binge eaters can sink into after a few episodes.
  • idahomommy
    idahomommy Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I'm not really experienced in the successful side of this. However, I've been able to pass up a binge a couple of times lately (like literally 1 or 2). Everyone had said it and it's hard to do, but I made myself wait 30 minutes. I didn't just sit there staring at the food for 30 minutes or anything. I really, really wanted to but I drank a glass of water and then distracted myself (as much as you can while thinking about how much you want to eat) for half an hour. I tried to drink water in the mean time as added help but I don't really like water much.

That's been the only time/s I succeeded.