Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Newbie Question

Genette38
Genette38 Posts: 51 Member
Hi Guys,

Apologies if this has already been asked, I couldn't find the answer online. Today is my first day of trying to eat paleo based meals and I'm not sure about dairy alternatives. I gave up milk and dairy about 6 months or more ago because I figured out that was what was causing my IBS. Now I generally have almond milk if I can get it, if not, I have Soya milk. Are these OK on a Paleo diet? I guess because almond is a nut it's not so bad but it is processed and feels like cheating.

Thanks

Siousix

Replies

• Not sure, but I think almond and coconut milks are okay but soy is a big no-no. I'm primal, so can have dairy in moderation... so I may not be the best source of info here.
  • justaspoonfulofsugar
    justaspoonfulofsugar Posts: 587 Member
    If you are suffering with IBS then boxed milk alternates containing carrageenan is not good for you.
    Carrageenan is a seaweed thickener that is believed to be harmful in people suffering digestive issues.
    It's easy to make your own nut milk if you google it.
    Also,soy is a definite NO in paleo/primal.
  • Genette38
    Great, thanks ladies. I'll definitely look into making my own nut milk. Black coffee is just not the same!

Siousix
  • denise33027
    denise33027 Posts: 108 Member
    I use coconut milk in place of coffee creamer. Love it!
  • astridfeline
    astridfeline Posts: 1,200 Member
    Some people here have said they use coconut oil in their coffee and it's quite tasty. Someone else will have to verify that one, as I do not drink coffee myself.
  • Genette38
    Thanks for the tip :flowerforyou:
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    You can try making your own nut milk. BUT, with IBS I wonder if that's the best. Also, you want to watch the Omega 6 ratio; they easily get too high.

Please, avoid soy, it's terrible for health.

Coconut milk is about the only thing I will use, but even then I'm a bit picky about the brand and ingredients. You can make your own coconut milk as well.

Edit: I use BP coffee. It's wonderful. Coconut oil and butter.