choosing the next race - opinions please

Options
Some notes about me. Completed two sprint tri's this year both very similar in style and type to the first option. Finished in about 1 hour and 30 minutes each time. Had fun and enjoyed the experience. I don't own a tri wet suit. I ride an old Craig's list hybrid bike with block pedals that can have issues switching gears. I only average about 14 - 15 mph hours on the bike.

There are two races in Sept that I am interested in;

+ Y not Tri - 1/4 mile ocean swim in a bay, 9 mile flat bike (3 loops), and 3.1 mile flat run. $70
https://sites.google.com/a/firm-racing.com/home/y-tri-of-south-county

I like the idea of doing this easier race because I can judge my progress from the other two more easily. I think I am equipped just well enough to do ok with the level of competition that will be there.

+ Newport 19.7 Sprint Tri - 1/2 mile ocean swim, 16 mile much hillier bike, and 3.1 mile run, 2 transition locations - $10,000 purse for the pro level, ($43 thru Groupon)
http://www.newporttri.com/

I like the idea of challenging myself more with this race plus the price, but I am afraid I will completely unequipped to do even adequately against a surely competitive field since they have cash prizes... Especially the bike portion which is hillier and without a better pedal situation will be much more effort for me.

Your thoughts?

Replies

• TriShamelessly
    TriShamelessly Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    I would opt for the first until you have a better equipped bike. Hills are tough even on a road bike. That being said, I totally understand the challenging yourself part as I did my first triathlons - both Olympic distance - this year. I am closing the season with a sprint in Wildwood, NJ this Saturday. Lastly, I don't compare myself to my fellow triathletes - many of whom have been doing them for years. My only goal is to finish and to improve my performance with each new one. Best of luck!
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    I think that's a really healthy way to look at it!

I'd go for option one, if they are a known quantity, it will also allow you to develop a benchmark.
  • trijoe
    trijoe Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    Well, okay: Based on your bike, and your bike alone, I say go for race #1. If your bike really is in that bad a shape with shifting, you just don't want to be doing hills.

But you know what? That's what your Local Bike Shop is for. They can have your bike humming along in no time flat, for a minimal fee. A bike tune up is always - ALWAYS - money well spent. And doing so makes your decision a little bit tougher, in a good way.

Now, with all that said: I'm a firm believer in pushing yourself in ways you just aren't sure you can handle. Truth is, I've finished DFL (Dead Flipping Last) in 2 races, that I probably shouldn't have raced, based on my athletic abilities (or lack thereof), but raced them anyway. I've yet to finish in the top half of a triathlon, and I've only once finished in the top half of a duathlon. So I see no need to give a flying flip about where I finish in a group, or how much faster/better the rest of the racers are. I'm going to go out there and give that race every goddarn thing I have, no matter where I finish.

So I just don't buy into the argument that the shorter, easier race is the better race. If anything, I say push yourself. How're you gonna find out what you're capable of if you keep racing the same distances? Getting faster is great, but going harder is better. (In my humble opinion) You can always come back to the shorter/easier races, after you've pushed yourself in the longer/harder ones.

So, I guess my 2 cents is: Take your bike to your Local Bike Shop, get it tuned up and ready to go, then race the longer tougher race. Let's see what ya got!

I hope this helps. And I wish you great success, no matter the decision.
    TriJoe.
  • scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Trijoe is a wise man. Tune up and roll with race 2. I just had my bike totally taken apart, lubed, and put back together for $100. Money well spent.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Option #2, and use the money you save to go clipless (if that's the pedal situation you're referring to).

I'm also a firm believer in taking on big challenges. I'd rather finish in the bottom of a tough as s*** race than do one that any duffer can tackle with ease.
  • jentris
    jentris Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I'd vote for option 1 if you have never done an ocean swim. They are a whole other ballgame compared to lake/pool swims. I'm not a fast swimmer but am confident and competent and can swim for forever. My first ocean swim was a nightmare. I completely panicked and have never panicked in a lake tri - even one with thousands of people!

I am saving for a road bike and have been doing tris on a hybrid, not clipped in. Yes, it is more challenging but it is what it is. I did a very hilly race with that bike and was darn proud that I didn't have to get off and walk.

So, I say why not to race 2 if you are going to be OK with the ocean swim! (I can't remember if you have a wetsuit - you really should for an ocean swim.)

I've come in DFL a couple of times too and it doesn't bother me one bit. I'm still lapping everyone on the couch!

Best of luck!
  • IronPhyllida
    IronPhyllida Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I've done a couple of sprint tri's on my MTB, and a duathlon on same bike but without slick tyres, made a huge difference. I havent got cleats yet as I havent been brave enough yet but I've got toe clip which has improved my ride a lot (ie foot doesnt slide off when changing gears going up hills).
    I'd go for the race that'll push you the most and have a huge sense of achievement if you manage to get a road bike :smokin:
  • daj150
    daj150 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    Trijoe preaches the good word...#2!
  • EnduranceGirl2
    EnduranceGirl2 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    One more vote in support of Trijoe. Just remember if there's chop, try to breathe on the side away from where the waves come in if you can. Tune-ups make a world of difference - I raced on my vintage '92 Trek for a couple of years before I'd saved up enough and decided I'd made a big enough commitment to spring for a tri bike. I'm not sure if the size of the purse really makes that much of a difference in signing up for a race, at least for age groupers. Most of us are racing against ourselves and cheering on the folks around us which is one of the reason the sport is so much fun and generally friendly towards newcomers.
  • Overboard_Eater
    Overboard_Eater Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all your advise and encouragement. I completed the Newport 19.7 tri (Option 2 ) on Saturday. I didn't wear a wet suit, and never upgraded my bike. I didn't have a watch or any other electronics.

I finished in under 2 hours which was my goal. I really pushed my limits, and felt like I gave 100% the whole way. As a comparison to how far I've progresses in my fitness - last Sept 23 I finished my first 5K in 35 mins.

Overall 1:57:05 - age group 14/22 F3539

Swim .5 mile - 17:44 - water temp about 65 degrees. perfect conditions for an open ocean swim. thought this would be faster. my right calf started cramping after the first .25 mile

T1 - 3:19 - damn gloves and was a clean transition (had to place all my stuff into a bag before leaving area)

Bike 16.1 - 1:07:39 - yup, this sucked as much as I thought it would! Plus it was windy!

T2 :50 had trouble getting my bike into the rack.

Run 3.1 - 27:35 - first half was uphill then loop and run back down.

Since my goal was to complete in under 2 hours, I promised myself a race watch/ heart rate monitor thingy. I know this will help with my future training. What do you all suggest? Remember, I'm cheap as hell so under $200 for sure and under $150 if possible. Thanks again.
  • daj150
    daj150 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    First off, awesome job on pushing yourself and making your goal!!

I currently use the TomTom Multisport watch...tracks swimming, biking, and running with GPS info and heart rate info as well. However, the whole mutlisport kit costs around $300. For just a normal heart rate monitor, Polar FT40 is another watch I use for strength training and HIIT workouts...pretty nice, but not good if you want to track details like laps for running. That runs around $180. For just a basic heart rate monitor watch, Polar FT4 is one of the most popular, and runs about $100. Polar RS100 is a decent multisport watch for tracking HR and laps; runs around $120.

Garmin also makes some decent GPS watches that sync with a heart rate monitor as well. Forerunner 110 and 210 are pretty decent, but will run you closer to $200.
  • scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    I use the Timex Global Trainer. Safe in the water and is Ant+ compatible if you were to branch out and get a Garmin bike cpu or whatever. I think you can find the Timex on Amazon for around $160