Not amused

Options
Delicate
Delicate Posts: 625 Member
Nothing to do with weight but oh well

Every friday, I go to the local market and buy a slice of cake/cupcake/pie, I have loved all of them (I eat mostly meat and veg the rest of the week and exercise 4-5 times a week).

Always go for the high fat option (buttercream/fresh scream etc to help with the blood sugar aspect) I started with the sweet ones, but I havent liked white chocolate for years, Im off most milk chocolate, but now my lack of love for overly sweet things is starting to affect my 'cheat' (well its not a cheat as such im still under the macros and cals each time) its starting to taste too sweet often sickly, even if its dark chocolate.

Doesnt help i keep asking them for the past few weeks for something that isnt overly sweet, i get funny faces pulled at me!

Its making me sad my tastes are changing quite alot and now im not looking forward to it at all, and it seems like a waste to even buy them now :(

Its kinda a mixture of [yay i wont want processed stuff or crave it] but then its [boo i want a treat i havent made but cant seem to enjoy it'

argggggggh /rant

Replies

• MermaidTX
    MermaidTX Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Nothing to do with weight but oh well

Every friday, I go to the local market and buy a slice of cake/cupcake/pie, I have loved all of them (I eat mostly meat and veg the rest of the week and exercise 4-5 times a week).

Always go for the high fat option (buttercream/fresh scream etc to help with the blood sugar aspect) I started with the sweet ones, but I havent liked white chocolate for years, Im off most milk chocolate, but now my lack of love for overly sweet things is starting to affect my 'cheat' (well its not a cheat as such im still under the macros and cals each time) its starting to taste too sweet often sickly, even if its dark chocolate.

Doesnt help i keep asking them for the past few weeks for something that isnt overly sweet, i get funny faces pulled at me!

Its making me sad my tastes are changing quite alot and now im not looking forward to it at all, and it seems like a waste to even buy them now :(

Its kinda a mixture of [yay i wont want processed stuff or crave it] but then its [boo i want a treat i havent made but cant seem to enjoy it'

argggggggh /rant

If you have access to almond and/or coconut flour, you can make your own baked goods that aren't too sweet but fill that "I really wanna piece of cake/brownie/cookie" craving. I like making cakes/brownies in a mug or bowl in the microwave. They take just a few minutes to whip up & less than 2 minutes in the microwave.

I've made Oopsie bread too with cinnamon & toasted pecans & put a cream cheese frosting on top - that's pretty yummy too for taking care of a cinnamon roll craving!
  • Delicate
    Delicate Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Might look more into mugcakes, soo many recipes call for sugar and alot of sugar, even if it doesnt look like it has sugar in it, they add it in

Oh that sounds delish i do miss cinamon rolls but they are way too sweet now, i'm looking that up when i get home from work, defintootly !
  • MermaidTX
    MermaidTX Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Might look more into mugcakes, soo many recipes call for sugar and alot of sugar, even if it doesnt look like it has sugar in it, they add it in

Oh that sounds delish i do miss cinamon rolls but they are way too sweet now, i'm looking that up when i get home from work, defintootly !

I don't use sugar in anything. I use Stevia (with no carb fillers) and it only takes the teeniest bit - for me anyways because I don't like anything too sweet...just enough to make stuff flavorful but def not overwhelmingly sweet. A lot of people like xylitol too but I haven't tried it.

I've had a lot of luck modifying lowcarb+gluten-free recipes to keto-friendly by changing the use of sugar/honey/syrup to Stevia.
  • kats612
    kats612 Posts: 10
    Options
    I have used lots of low carb recipes to make desserts and one of the things I've noticed, like you said, is that even some of them are just too sweet. I've learned to cut the amount of sweetener the recipe calls for into almost half otherwise even my homemade "sweets" are too sweet. I LOVE that I am not needing as much!
  • Mistizoom
    Mistizoom Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    There are plenty of great low carb dessert recipes. I have made some LC cupcakes that taste like the real thing. Today my DH made a lower-carb peach pie. Just look for LC recipes, that way you can have your cake and eat it too!