How much have you lost?

Options
Just curious. I am 33 years old, and this is my second time taking phentermine. I lost about 30 pounds the first time, and took it for just under 3 months. Ive done really well keeping it off, except for a small mishap this summer haha. Nearly two years later and i still weigh a good bit less, so now im trying again to get to my goal weight of 170. Right now I am at 202. So, how long have you taken it and how much did you lose?

Replies

• dicegame04
    dicegame04 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I've been on it for a while, since October 2012. I'm 35 y/o and this is my first time taking it. According to my doc, that amount of time on it is ok and I trust him. I've lost 67.5 lbs! I know I could do better if I was more strict on myself, but I skip work outs here and there, and yes, occasionally enjoy a piece of cake! :happy: I weighed much more than you...started @ 266 and am now 198, but I feel so much better! I have a long way to go, but this diet pill has been a blessing for me! :love:
  • shananzaur
    shananzaur Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Im 22, after struggling with my weight my whole life i finally was given phentermine 37.5mg. ive only been taking it about a month but so far i have lost a good 20lbs on it? the first two weeks i was eating great and exercising and i was losing a lb or two a day and still felt amazing, since then i can deffinatly say ive been slacking, and im dissapointed but im going to get my second months worth tomarrow. i was wondering though if anyone has noticed that it wares out after half the day now? i guess ill inquire about taking two a day possibly. other than the dry mouth and occasional mood swings i love it though.
  • SummerNights32
    SummerNights32 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I take mine around 10 or 11 for that reason. Ive noticed that i feel weak at times though. I work out nearly day and im netting 1200, so im not sure why that happens.
  • weezieweeks
    weezieweeks Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your weight loss!! I think it is better to lose it at a steadier pace than all at once - is that what you have done?
  • weezieweeks
    Options
    I have taken the Phen/Top combo for 4 weeks and have lost 9.6 pounds...each week has been different...the first week's loss was 5#, followed by 1/2, then 1.5, then 2.6....but I am fine with that. That second week, I am sure I was in need of an intervention with my bowels, so was not surprised with the lack of loss - LOL. The meds have really helped with the cravings and late night eating.
  • karen6499
    karen6499 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Hi I have been gone for quiet awhile off this blog and am back . This is my second time on phentermine the first time was probably 4 years ago did great lost about 25 pounds but a series of events happened out of my control and slowly gained it all back. I am now starting on my 3 rd week and am down about 8 pounds. I am trying to go about it a whole different way this time and use the phentermine as a boost. I am exercising 5 days a week and really watching my food intake. The only bad thing is is that I am not hungry and am falling way below my calorie in take. My hardest time of the day is in the evenings right now. Would love to get lots of support and ideas from people.
  • weezieweeks
    Options
    Hi, I am so glad to see someone post!! Are you also taking the Topiramate? I utilize the MFP to watch my intake and adjusted the protein up, because I eat more protein than their standard and tend to eat less carbs (ideallly...). I start my day with 30 gm protein in the morning - for me that is a protein shake that I mix with my coffee, kind like a latte or lots of creamer. Last Sunday, I switched to decaf after 4 weeks on Phen, I started really noticing the effects in the morning when it kicked in and the caffeine on top of that was just too much. I also take an anti-depressant, which may or may not enhance the effects of the Phen. The Top seems to help with the cravings and dulls the taste of food and helps me eat less at night. Another reason I try to eat during the day is that otherwise, I justify that I have enough room left in my calories to eat at night - and the eating at night is more of a bad habit for me, than a hunger thing. I am more of an emotional eater, than eating when I am hungry. Talk soon, I hope. Louise
  • karen6499
    Options
    I have actually been on the Phen since August 7 and weighed at the Dr 198 as of today I am Down to 189 my weight tacker is messed up. Hoping to get to 185 by Tuesday my first day back to school. I seen you said Louise you said you take two things may I ask why? I am looking for a weight loss buddy if anyone is interested.
  • weezieweeks
    Options
    HI, I take Phentermine and Topiramate; are you only taking the Phentermine?
  • karen6499
    Options
    Yes just the phentermine and lots of exercising and watching what I'm eating. What is the other med for?
  • weezieweeks
    Options
    The Topiramate helps with appetite and cravings, as well as dulling the taste sensation, so I think it helps you eat less because you are less interested in food. I started at 25mg, then moved to 50mg. I am not sure if I will move to a higher dose (like 75mg), but I am going to ask my doctor about it because he wants me to be taking 1and 1/2 of the Phen 37.5. I started lower and built up, but that seems like a lot to me, even tho the staff says some people take a lot more than that. I even stopped caffeine! Anyway, I take the other 1/2 4-5 hours later, when I take the topiramate. The top is also supposed to help out with the late night eating. You can google it... topiramate or topamax - it is an anti-seizure drug and they found out about the weight loss. The dose for weight loss is much lower than the dose for seizures and it was recently approved by the FDA for weight loss, rather than just being prescribed by doctors as an off label use. I am going to see if I can "friend" you on here. My settings say I should get an email if I get a reply, but I am not and I am not always at my computer to log on - on my phone I cannot get to this part of MFP. I will try to check more frequently because I do want to keep in touch! Louise
  • karen6499
    Options
    How much weight are you trying to loose? I have been taking the phentermine for almost a month and lost about 9 lbs but I think I should be loosing more. Ave to renew my prescription and going to see if Dr can up my prescription to 37.5 i right now I'm only taking 30. My Dr is very hesitant to give me weight loss medicine an I need to loose about 50 pounds. I will have to ask her about Topiramate.
  • weezieweeks
    Options
    I really need to lose 50 - 60 pounds. I never got to goal after my weight loss and then I gained back the 30. I am not sure if I will stay on the meds for the entire time as I am hoping the meds will help me to get going and help me change my ways and get into a better pattern. So far, logging on here has been a huge help. I had already edited the protein so I could up it to 100 because that is my goal and then I figured out I could get the fiber on there, so I dropped the sodium, so I could track fiber.

Did you get constipated on the Phentermine? I got very constipated the second week on the combo, but ended up having good luck with both Miralax and Smooth Move Tea (not at the same time). I also started taking at 10 billion probiotic and have not need help going as often.

The phen/top combo is very common, so I hope you get to try it out - my doc has raised me up slow. The topiramate dulls the taste of food so helps you not have as much interest in eating. I also think it has helped me eat less at night before I go to bed. I really noticed that when I went from 25mg to 50 mg. The new combo drug, Qsymia is formulated with less Phentermine and more Topiramate.

I think my doctor wants me to lose faster, but I am good with this rate because I am really interested in figuring how the best way to get my weight off and keep it off. From my support group I may have learned that I need to find my new normal - I guess that makes sense.

Talk soon!
  • aloha311
    aloha311 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I just finished week 1 of phentermine and am down 10 pounds so far. :)
  • weezieweeks
    Options
    Wow, that is a lot!!! I was very constipated my second week (not trying to give TMI, just FYI). The strangest thing is that I did not really have symptoms of needing to go. My doc was a bit alarmed when it had been a week, so I ended up using milk of mag to get going, which was not fun, but I sort of got back on track.

Anyway, just wanted to let you know what happened to me in week 2 - I lost 5 pounds the first week. I switch between Miralax and Smooth Move Tea. use at night beginning with the second day I do not go until I go. I also started a 10 billion probiotic which has seemed to help. Generally I only need the Miralax or tea a couple days a week.

Hope this was not an overshare!!!
  • jayrudq
    jayrudq Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Seriously, try Magnesium supplements (the "magnesia" in Milk of Magnesium). It is safe, an important mineral many people are low on, and best yet...no more constipation EVER. I take 500mg morning and night of Magnesium Oxide; it isn't expensive and it literally has changed my life. Obviously, I cannot recomment it enough.
  • Kickbox9Bitch
    Kickbox9Bitch Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I'm on the combo of Phen/Top :) So far totally feeling fabulous a bit of a spaz no jitters but, I am naturally a hyper person anyways. However, my moods have been a bit crazy. I get extreme lows and feel so sad sometimes which is whacky but, otherwise all is well. I am a total wench to the old man sometimes that I feel like he can;t do anything right. It is terrible. Now I am realizing this I am better and proactive about it. I am going on one month on it. Lost about 26lbs I was already losing weight before so, all in all I'm down about 46lbs. which is bloody fantastic right :) However a long road before me. So, anyways I am happy and pleased.
  • aloha311
    Options
    Seriously, try Magnesium supplements (the "magnesia" in Milk of Magnesium). It is safe, an important mineral many people are low on, and best yet...no more constipation EVER. I take 500mg morning and night of Magnesium Oxide; it isn't expensive and it literally has changed my life. Obviously, I cannot recomment it enough.

Funny story... I was told to take magnesium for migraines. I was told to take 2 pills when it came on and then 2 more every 4 hours until its A) either gone or B) start to have the runs. I tried it once and got cleared out. I now know what to use when backed up. Lol
  • aloha311
    Options
    Wow, that is a lot!!! I was very constipated my second week (not trying to give TMI, just FYI). The strangest thing is that I did not really have symptoms of needing to go. My doc was a bit alarmed when it had been a week, so I ended up using milk of mag to get going, which was not fun, but I sort of got back on track.

Anyway, just wanted to let you know what happened to me in week 2 - I lost 5 pounds the first week. I switch between Miralax and Smooth Move Tea. use at night beginning with the second day I do not go until I go. I also started a 10 billion probiotic which has seemed to help. Generally I only need the Miralax or tea a couple days a week.

Hope this was not an overshare!!!

Are you getting enough fiber?
  • weezieweeks
    Options
    I'm on the combo of Phen/Top :) So far totally feeling fabulous a bit of a spaz no jitters but, I am naturally a hyper person anyways. However, my moods have been a bit crazy. I get extreme lows and feel so sad sometimes which is whacky but, otherwise all is well. I am a total wench to the old man sometimes that I feel like he can;t do anything right. It is terrible. Now I am realizing this I am better and proactive about it. I am going on one month on it. Lost about 26lbs I was already losing weight before so, all in all I'm down about 46lbs. which is bloody fantastic right :) However a long road before me. So, anyways I am happy and pleased.

Congrats on the weight loss!!

What is your dose and do you take them at the same time? I am always trying to do a "self-check" to and be aware that I might be extra sensitive and hair-trigger irritable. I definitely am practicing patience first - you know sort of like, thinking before speaking - LOL - How is your guy handling the weight loss he is seeing?