What drives you nuts on the main forums?

Options
kiramaniac
kiramaniac Posts: 800 Member
What are the pieces of terrible, horrible advice that you see out there? I'll start.

"I'm over my sugar goal and I've only had a banana!"
Advice: "Oh, honey - you don't have to count the sugar from FRUIT."

I see this one A LOT.

Replies

• astartig
    astartig Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    how about all the people who pounce on someone low carb curious as being hell spawn? LOL
  • kiramaniac
    Options
    Oh yes... And don't forget, the "A CALORIE IS A CALORIE". Idiots. What you eat impacts your hormones, and that changes how your body stores and releases fat.
  • JanetLynnJudy
    JanetLynnJudy Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I've heard this type of thing a lot - "Low carb isn't good. I tried it before and I lost a lot of weight, but once I stopped doing it, I just gained everything back." What other dietary plan gets so much blame for what happens AFTER a person stops following it?
  • GabyBaby916
    GabyBaby916 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Some of the advice is bad enough, but what is really horrible is the childish, mob mentality that I see when people gang up on someone asking a legitimate question regarding an eating style that the rest do not agree with.
  • Golightly17
    Golightly17 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Blatant ignorance gets me. Atkins died of a heart attack or you'll get keto acidosis- these statements are just accepted as true.
  • Delicate
    Delicate Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    How mean and inconsiderate people are, if they are following something they arent. Most people who low carb over a period of time dont go back to anything else (unless you severely restricted calories but you're going to fail if thats the only plan).

The IIFYM crowd, if your macros are anything different from theirs, if tub of ice cream does not fit my macros no matter what, so im not going to eat it! Most of them are probably prediabetic and are unaware since 1/3 of americans are according to their diabeties organisation.

the 'if it worked for me it will work for you' crowd, it may or it may not, your body =/= ours
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    My favorite is those folks that think just upping the cardio is the answer. Just do more on the elliptical and it will fix everything. How about a solid mix of walking, HIIT, Strength training/mass biliding, and mix in good bouts of cardio. If you're only doing one exercise, you're body will adapt and equalize. Doing more of it won't change your body.
  • jen_fitnhappy
    jen_fitnhappy Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    All of the above... and it's advised by some shirtless 20-something.

(I'm so glad I found you people)
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    All of the above... and it's advised by some shirtless 20-something.

(I'm so glad I found you people)

^^^^^THIS^^^^^

I could eat over 6000 calories a day and maintain 11% body fat when I was in my 20's. That has changed drastically as I got older. It was nothing for me to eat a loaf of bread and drink a gallon of milk in a day. If I did that now, I'd gain 5 - 7 lbs per week.
  • Keto_T
    Keto_T Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    The "there is no such thing as a food addict" and "just eat in moderation" mentality.

I binge. I have eaten until I made myself sick. I've bought food and hidden to eat it. Sometimes I am in control and sometimes I am not. I can down 5000 calories in a day on a bad day. If I could eat in moderation I wouldn't be 100 lbs overweight now. Staying away from certain foods helps me to stay in control.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    People who fail to apply context.
    People who make assumptions about someones level of knowledge based on whether or not they are wearing a shirt.
    People who use age to validate their erroneous claims.

And in. This thread should be good.
  • kiramaniac
    Options
    People who make assumptions about someones level of knowledge based on whether or not they are wearing a shirt.

I half hope you changed your photo, just to make this point :-)
  • kiramaniac
    Options
    This one actually even applies here too...
    "I'm not losing anything. I don't understand it. Please help... I don't log my food". ಠ_ಠ
  • Lisa_Rhodes
    Lisa_Rhodes Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I don't like the 'eating a calorie deficit is the only way'. Sorry but I do better when I restrict my carbs. Is it very low? No, but it's about 20% of my plate. Not all bodies are created equal. Some have issues that others don't. I see some people who can lose just fine w/o limiting carbs and some that will only lose when they limit carbs. Not everyone gains weight the same, so how would everyone lose the same?
  • AbbeyDove
    AbbeyDove Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Flaming in response to a sincere, or even a silly question.

People are trying to figure their *kitten* out, and I do believe that what works in terms of appetite control may really vary from one person to another. Why be unkind or snarky? And granted, levels of literacy vary. But that doesn't mean the person is necessarily less intelligent or valuable as a human being.

And, I'm super tired of the pro/anti 1200 calorie (or below) threads that always degenerate into flame wars.
  • GamerGirly
    GamerGirly Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    People look for motivation and support that have been a member of MFP for nearly 2 years that have a substantial amount of weight to lose and yet they have only lost 20-30 lbs. Then claim they are "In it for the long haul!"

No crap dude... You're going to hit your goal around the same time I retire. Im only 27. You better be in in for the long haul.

Ya know, just the general "dumb" people on the forums... Especially the ones that bring up the same topic that was discussed just 5 mins ago but feel they need their own thread to feel special.
  • raventwo
    raventwo Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    The recent thread where they all congratulated each other for their "honesty" and discussed how it isn't supportive to just be accepting of someone finding their way. Nooooooooooooo..they need to be "honest" and "blunt".

I can be honest and blunt..you folks are rude, cruel jerks who don't know half what you think you do.

There, now I'm not enabling your poor manners.
  • AbbeyDove
    AbbeyDove Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    But, on a positive note (which is totally inappropriate in this thread, sorry!), I will say that overall, MFP has been a really great experience. '

There are a lot of actually helpful people, and even those who may not have the best info are often quite supportive of hard work and success. And a lot of folks spend a lot of time trying to help others on these boards.

Just sayin.
  • KarenisPaleo
    KarenisPaleo Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I'm madly in love with this thread!
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    People who fail to apply context.
    People who use age to validate their erroneous claims.

And in. This thread should be good.

To be fair, one of the biggest alternative (non-IIFYM) diet bashers on the general forum is a shirtless 20-something.