How long before symptoms got better?

Options
yaelis
yaelis Posts: 8 Member
Hi all,

I am new to this group, though not new to MFP. I was diagnosed with both Celiac's and hypothyroidism in May of this year (for hypo, it was May 30th). My endo ruled out Hashimoto's and started me on 25mcg of synthroid (which was increased to 50mcg in July). I love my endo, she is thoughtful and openminded and genuinely cares about my treatment. I have a follow up with her tomorrow to check my levels and discuss my concerns.

Since starting synthroid in May, I have seen no changes in my symptoms- specifically my body and energy. I work out frequently, between hot vinyasa and running, and try to eat cleanly (and strictly GF). She and I are going to talk tomorrow about whether a new medication is appropriate-she brought up trying Armour.

My question is, in your experience, how long did it take before you saw noticeable differences in your symptoms? It has been about 3 months for synthroid, and a little longer than that since I began cutting out gluten. My doctors assured me that things will get better, but to be patient. And I really am trying to remember this is a process- but after 3 months and no change? It's really disheartening. I still feel sluggish, can hardly lift my head when my alarm goes off, and seem to be either maintaining or gaining weight despite my best efforts. My endo is also stumped as to why my weight hasn't changed- so at least I am not being paranoid!

I am sure this is a question often asked- but perhaps others who are hypo (and maybe have celiac's, though I know this isn't a forum for that) could weigh in (no pun intended). I know it will take time till things regulate, and with both of these diagnoses, it's not simple. But I just thought I'd start to see some reaction to either the meds or being GF. The only noticeable change has been that when I am glutened, I feel super awful really fast, and my chin has started breaking out like I'm 16 again. Not exactly the change I was looking for!

Thanks for the support- Y.

Replies

• maracuya23
    maracuya23 Posts: 122
    Options
    I started medication in early March- also 25ug synthroid. I felt worse, and managed to get my Dr to increase the dose to 37.5ug two weeks later. 4 weeks after that, I increased to 50ug based on blood work. 6 weeks later, to 75ug again based on blood work. I started feeling better after a week or so on the 75ug, and much better when I increased to 88ug 6 weeks later. For the first 3 months or so, I didn't feel much better ( and sometimes felt worse), and was at a complete weight loss plateau despite working out and very carefully watching calories. Roughly 4 months after starting medication, I started to feel more energetic, and started losing weight again.

In early July, I had my iron (ferritin) and vitamin D levels checked again, and both were still low, so I started supplementing for both of those. The vitamin D supplement definitely made a difference in how I feel. Hypo and celiac folks are often nutrient-deficient, so it might be worth checking on your iron, Vitamin D, B-12, etc. levels (if you haven't already) as well as your thyroid to make sure you're getting all the nutritional support you need!

I hope that you start feeling better soon!
  • yaelis
    Options
    Thank you! That does give me hope :) Great point of about the vitamins. I've actually been taking vit D, B12, CoQ10, DHEA and Magnesium since March (it's what tipped off my doctor that something may be amiss, seeing so many deficiencies). I do feel calmed a bit knowing it has taken others many months to see progress, but that you are eventually feeling better. I hope you continue on the upswing and be well. -Y.
  • fultimers
    fultimers Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I start on levothyroxin 25 mcg tomorrow. It sounds like some of you are saying that I might start feeling worse before I feel better. Oh joy!

A routine blood test caught that I was hypothyroid (4.45 TSH). I have felt tired and draggy for years and often need a nap even if I slept well. In addition, I can't lose more than 1/2 pound (sometimes 1 pound if I'm lucky) a week. Once you get this condition, do most people have to stay on meds the rest of their life?
  • pastamomma
    pastamomma Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I don't know what most people expect, fultimers, but I expect to be on synthroid the rest of my life. I've got Hashi's and was diagnosed in 2006. I've steadily gone up in dosage since then but am stable now at 175 mg. And best yet, I feel good. I hope you and yaelis feel better soon!
  • shirleygirl910
    shirleygirl910 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    Like Maracuya38, I have Vit D, B12 and calcium deficiency along with Thyroid. I was diagnosed with Graves, so they killed my thyroid. It took a year or more before they got my levels straight. I still have symptoms come back, but since the symptoms for thyroid and all the vitamin deficiencies are very simular, it's hard to know which one is out of whack. I also have Hemotomocrosis (too much iron) This also has the same symptoms. Unfortunately when I feel tired and run down, hair starts falling out etc. I have to get my blood tested and try changing one thing at a time. It's an on going thing for me.
  • strawberrytoast
    strawberrytoast Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    I'll get back to this one if it ever happens :laugh:
  • Syriene
    Syriene Posts: 238
    Options
    Switched to Armour a couple months ago and it has helped more than the synthetic stuff I was on. When I first started meds, it was probably about a month before I noticed any difference and as we tweaked the dose, I would notice a few symptoms subside each time, but was never an all of a sudden they are all gone thing.
    I still have trouble getting up in the morning with Armour, but once I am out of the bed, I'm good to go. If you aren't finding that your current med is working, might be worth while to give something else a shot. Everyone reacts differently.
    On the same supplements you are though. Filling my pill minder became depressing from all the bottles. Amazing how one problem can lead to so many others, huh?
  • bex6957
    bex6957 Posts: 3
    Options
    Hi I just started taking 70 mcg of levothyroxine today. I am really nervous now. I really do not want to feel worse, I thought I'd start taking the medicine and it would just work! Oh boy......
  • yaelis
    Options
    I just made the switch to Armour yesterday- my endo thinks I am just not responsive to Synthroid and she is ready to try new things. I hope to have the same responsiveness others are reporting! It really is amazing how all of these symptoms and disorders can snow ball.