Welcome RN's! Introduce yourselves!

Options

Replies

• MarionRN
    MarionRN Posts: 1
    Options
    Hey there RNs!

I live in the Austin, Tx area and have been a nurse for 2 1/2 years. I've done psych and home health and love both! I had been an avid jogger until a neuroma formed in my foot. Then I started school for prerequisites for a nursing program. I have gained 30 lbs in 6 years. I've recently gotten a ligament release done on the foot and asked for a gym membership for my 50th birthday. Two of my three sisters came to Texas to help "their little sister" celebrate 50. I asked them to join MyFitnessPal so we can encourage each other. One sister is an LPN in Florida. I'd like to lose the 30 lbs; the personal trainer said 2 lbs a week is healthy. Started today with Boot Camp!!

Hey, how do I get a pretty goal/weight lost gauge like some of you have? Oh, maybe I need to lose weight first!
  • CherylP67
    CherylP67 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    Hey there RNs!

I live in the Austin, Tx area and have been a nurse for 2 1/2 years. I've done psych and home health and love both! I had been an avid jogger until a neuroma formed in my foot. Then I started school for prerequisites for a nursing program. I have gained 30 lbs in 6 years. I've recently gotten a ligament release done on the foot and asked for a gym membership for my 50th birthday. Two of my three sisters came to Texas to help "their little sister" celebrate 50. I asked them to join MyFitnessPal so we can encourage each other. One sister is an LPN in Florida. I'd like to lose the 30 lbs; the personal trainer said 2 lbs a week is healthy. Started today with Boot Camp!!

Hey, how do I get a pretty goal/weight lost gauge like some of you have? Oh, maybe I need to lose weight first!

Hi Marion,

Welcome, I'm new too. Good luck to you as you start your weight loss journey, I gained in nursing school as well.

I'm hoping to move to Austin in about 2 years.
  • brencklea
    brencklea Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hello there! I am a new RN, working to lose the 15 lbs gained in nursing school + the 15 leftover baby weight that is now 10 years overdue. Working at a Level 1 ED 7p-7a and surprised that I don't move more. Using my Fitbit to make sure I'm steppin!
  • soverman86
    soverman86 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hello fellow RNs!

I am new to MFP and thought I would introduce myself to people who have an idea of what I'm dealing with :) I've been a nurse for a little over 2 years on a High Risk OB/Antepartum Unit in Seattle. I moved up here from New Mexico for the job leaving behind my family and in the process creating a long distance relationship with my boyfriend of 6 years--he is now a 1st year resident in Denver. I had done well during my orientation period when I was on days of keeping up with my diet and exercise. Within a month of switching to nights, I started to gain weight. I'm now 30lbs more than I was before I moved up here and I am working hard to take it off. I am determined to make the change stick and last for my lifetime :)

Just keep moving ;)
  • rachpetersen
    rachpetersen Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Hey All,

My name is Rach and I have been an RN for 2 years now. I work in the emergency department, ICU and occasionally med-surg if they are low on staff in a small town hospital in northern Ontario, Canada. I work shift work and besides that being stressful and crazy enough, when I am ER on nights I am the only nurse on staff and the doctor is asleep (which means it is up to my discretion if it is an emergency enough to wake him up or can it wait until morning). Anyways, I am on maternity leave right now and start back in October, so I am enjoying my time off. I started my fitness journey in Feburary 2013 (4 months after my baby was born) and am trucking right along. I thought I would join this group now to get some ideas for when I go back to that crazy schedule. Feel free to add me! Look forward to meeting some of you and working towards our goals together!
  • erickson821
    Options
    Hey Everyone! I am Ashley I have been an RN for 1 year before that I was an LPN for 1 year. I currently work Med/Surg and SCU.I love it and I love to help others! I am almost done with month 2 of Insanity and I LOVE it! Before I started this journey my eating habits were awful I drank pop all day and ate junk food all day. That has all changed I completely cut all pop out and have tried really hard to eat healthy. I can tell on days that I don't eat well that during my workouts I'm more sluggish. I also added Shakeology to my daily routine and I have that as my breakfast meal everyday. I work the overnight shift so eating has been my biggest struggle because I feel my times at all off and I tend to eat during my shift to stay awake. Although since starting this workout and the Shakeology I have been able to stay away much easier! Good luck to all of you!
  • newbodynewattitude
    newbodynewattitude Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hey y'all,
    My name is Amber. Im from Los Angeles and I have been an RN for 2 years. I am currently working as an Hospice case manager. Just looking for a little motivation! Feel free to add me : )
  • PepePants
    PepePants Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Hello Nurses!
    My name is Roma and I've been a nurse eight years. I'm a certified medical surgical nurse, I also work on the psychiatric unit and have been a hospice nurse for four years. Currently I'm studying to be a Family Psychiatric Nurse Practitioner. I love nurses, nursing and pretty much everything about it. Well...that's an exaggeration. Let's just say I'm enthusiastic!:bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • kluinstra1
    kluinstra1 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi all!,

I'm Kelly. I'm actually taking my NCLEX-RN tomorrow morning (Tuesday July 19th). I'm currently a Tech working in an Adult Psych Unit. I'm always looking for motivation and someone (or some people) whom I need to be accountable to. I'm in San Antonio, TX. Feel free to add me and I'm happy to help motivate you as well :)

Kelly
  • hayleyfarmer81
    Options
    Hi everybody
    I am Hayley I have been a RN for over 10 years I work in a acute admissions unit as a sister. I am looking for some motivation and help from fellow nurses that work long shifts and night where I struggle some times
    Hope to chat to you guys
    Tc Hayley
  • xv0nx
    xv0nx Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hey
    My name is siobhan and im an RN working in elective orthopaedics... I work 10hr shifts and my eating habits are terrible! X
  • rusaner1
    rusaner1 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hello,

I am a psychiatry nurse who works with children and adolescents in an inpt unit. I didn't chose to have children (get enough at work lol). I work 12 hr shifts of both days and nights but prefer nights. Would love to meet those like me in our profession that struggle with bringing meals that are portable but healthy. Feel free to add me as a friend. I live in Ontario Canada but enjoy meeting people from everywhere.

let "help" each other!
    Deb
  • tiffrn82
    tiffrn82 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm Tiffany, RN for almost 6 years. Worked ltac on tbi rehab, then did travel nursing, currently teaching, with a sprinkle of he care. This easy teaching job mixed with an abusive situation and more chaos has helped get me to the point of needing to lose hundreds of pounds. I'm just getting started just cut back calories and walking every day and dancing. I have a three year old I want to get healthy for. Also can not get hired and have even been told before that weight was an issue. Finishing up my ban, then Want to do pmhnp, applying to schools now. Praying I can stick with this, so far so good, my clothes are getting baggy already. Feel free to add me.
  • locoducky
    locoducky Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Hi all!,

I'm Kelly. I'm actually taking my NCLEX-RN tomorrow morning (Tuesday July 19th). I'm currently a Tech working in an Adult Psych Unit. I'm always looking for motivation and someone (or some people) whom I need to be accountable to. I'm in San Antonio, TX. Feel free to add me and I'm happy to help motivate you as well :)

Kelly

It's a little late, but good luck on the NCLEX! I hope it went great and that you are getting back some sanity that nursing school/NCLEX take away! lol.
  • JetMechRN
    JetMechRN Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Good morning, everyone! I've been a nurse just over four years now. I have worked in MedSurg, Oncology and currently as an admissions nurse for a local hospice. I absolutely love my job! In the past several years between nursing school and working crazy hours I have really packed on the pounds. I am 5'10" and weigh 252, never thought I would ever admit that to anyone.. My goal is 160. I spend so much of my time caring for others, now I need to put some time in my schedule to care for me.
  • Lacipeanut
    Lacipeanut Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Zita--I've been an RN for 8 years. I've worked in a variety of settings, currently as an NP in a geriatrics specialty practice. Just before that I worked nights as the on call hospitalist NP for a small community hospital. I've lost 100 pounds, still have about 50 - 70 to go.
  • drcrisos
    drcrisos Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Hello, I'm back after slacking off for several months. I have been a RN for a little while now, approximately 13 years. I have found my niche in Oncology and absolutely love it! I work in an outpatient clinic, so have a pretty cushy schedule, M-F, no weekends, no holidays. I find it so amazing that our patients take care of us Nurses so well, always bringing in sweets... :(, on occasion we also get fruit and veggies. They are such wonderful people, and I tell myself that I don't want them to feel bad, so of course I have to "sample" the treats.
    so easy to walk by and grab some candy as I'm going on the next patient, task, etc. Working on my willpower, slow going there.
    I also have arthritis everywhere and possibly some autoimmune things going on, which is a long process to find out exactly what.
    Exercising for me is painful on all of my joints. Tried the 30 day shred - loved it, great workout. Got to day 20 and had to quit. Even with modified exercise for my knees, to stressful on them and if I wanted to continue to walk, had to quit.
    So, just recently joined the YMCA, attending yoga 3 days a week and try to get on the elliptical 2-3 days a week.
    Have 2 children at home, 1 away in college, so time is kinda crazy.
    Glad to be here with ya!
  • ehowe92289
    ehowe92289 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!
    I am a brand new RN (just passed my boards in June). I was so excited to see there's a group for us on here! After completing a year long externship, I've definitely seen that the nursing lifestyle presents it's own unique challenges to eating healthy. I'm about to begin my career in a few short weeks and am beyond excited. I will be working on a neuro med/surg unit. I managed to pack on the pounds this past year between studying for the boards, graduation parties, and job hunting and I'm really hoping to get myself back on track and healthy before I begin this brand new chapter of my life! I know that transitioning into my first real nursing job will present some exciting, unique opportunities but also plenty of stressful ones! Hoping to find the support on MFP to help me focus on being healthy!
    So nice to meet you all :)
    Lizzie
  • nurseinthenorth
    nurseinthenorth Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Hey! I'm Val. I live in PEI, Canada, but work in Northern Manitoba Canada. It's a pretty long commute to work! lol.
    I've been a nurse for 20 years, with experience in so many areas and departments. Now I do Primary Care/ Outpost Nursing on a First Nation Reserve. This is THE BEST!
    My schedule is 2 weeks in (where I work solid) and 3 weeks off. I get flown back and forth, and all my expenses are covered. I accumulate a ton of air miles, and when I'm off, I don't get calls to come in to work... EVER!
    I'm not here to recruit, but if anyone is interested, message me.
    Ok... I've been on MFP for 9 days. I'm afraid to get on the scale. I don't drop weight easily at all. I have to work for every pound. I was a little over 200lbs, but it doesn't really show (a blessing and a curse). I'm 5'7, and my legs are all muscle. I've worked out 8 days in a row, and have come in slightly under calorie on my food diary every day. I'm at work right now, which means I have brought all my food for those two weeks with me. Easy peasy! I only have myself to look after to getting up and working out and eating healthy and being able to take time to meal plan is easy. I'll be looking for support when I get home on Tuesday! Those 3 weeks off will be different. I will have to be particularly diligent to keep it all up.
    On a positive note, even if I'm not sure how much weight I've lost, in these 9 days, I feel so much better. Sleeping better, the "puffy" feeling has disappeared.
    All the best to my fellow Nurses! Is anyone else working in the North?
  • rnlenore
    rnlenore Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    My name is Lenore and I don't know if I can really say I am a nurse yet. I passed my NCLEX 3 weeks ago and am currently looking for a job. I currently work night at a hospital as a tech/aid. Since working nights I have gained sooo much weight mainly because of just craving bad food and not being able to say no. Any advice from other night shifters. I recently just bought some cookies and cream protein powder and going to try to use that to curb the sweet cravings every morning when I get home.