Activity level changes... help finding new TDEE?

Options
I usually run 2-3x a week with shorter runs and lift 2-3x a week with a TDEE around 2000 according to Scooby (sometimes more, sometimes less depending on activity). Now my activity level/ exercise routine is about to change. I'm training for a half marathon so I'll be running more and farther. I also just started CrossFit and since it's more intense with circuits and metabolic work thrown in but shorter sessions I'm a little confused with how many calories I should be eating.

May I get some help with figuring out my new TDEE?

I'm 27 years old, female, 5'3.75" tall, 117 lbs, about 20% body fat

*Desk job
*CrossFit 2x a week with full body heavy lifting and metabolic exercise for intense 10-20 minute sessions, plus brief warm-ups and cooldowns of 5-10 min.
*Steady state running 2-3x a week - 1 will be a long run of about 2 hours and gradually increasing as I build distance. The other run(s) will be shorter for about 30-45 min. each (this will very likely only be 1 short run per week since I'm doing CF and there's running involved in it sometimes).
*I also plan to continue lifting heavy 1 day on my own - full body compound lifts for about 30 minutes with rest periods.

So based on this info... any idea what amount of calories I should be aiming for? :flowerforyou: Most TDEE calculators like Scooby give options of "3-5 hours moderate exercise" or "5-6 hours strenuous." I'm not sure which one to choose since some is steady state and longer, some is shorter but more intense.

Replies

• Noor13
    Noor13 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I would certainly go for the strenuous exercise level
    We usually tend to underestimate our burns

And the calculators are also not really correct. I used a FitBit to estimate my burns, but those were still on the low side, as a FitBIt would not pick up any of the lifting, which I mainly do.

You will be doing a lot of running, so I would always opt for the higher calorie option :)
  • Via88
    Via88 Posts: 46
    Options
    What I do is just add what I burn to my BMR, that way if my calorie burn changes then it works out.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    What I do is just add what I burn to my BMR, that way if my calorie burn changes then it works out.

The problem with that method is your TDEE is much more than just your BMR and your exercise calories.

Literally if you do that, say eat 1700 calories, the exercise takes 500 calories right off the top purely for mechanical movement of the body, that's what that calorie burn was for.

Now if your BMR really was 1200, and that's what it wants for the most basic life sustaining functions in your body - what have you left your body to actually make improvements from the exercise? Nothing.

Actually, you have other movement during the day for which calories are taken off the top of also.

Improvements from all your hard work will be little to none, not at all what you could be getting out of it at least.
    And since most people exercise to see body improvements, do you really want the body having to decide if available calories should be used to grow hair and nails and skin, or repair that muscle so it's stronger for next workout?
  • heybales
    Options
    I usually run 2-3x a week with shorter runs and lift 2-3x a week with a TDEE around 2000 according to Scooby (sometimes more, sometimes less depending on activity). Now my activity level/ exercise routine is about to change. I'm training for a half marathon so I'll be running more and farther. I also just started CrossFit and since it's more intense with circuits and metabolic work thrown in but shorter sessions I'm a little confused with how many calories I should be eating.

May I get some help with figuring out my new TDEE?

I'm 27 years old, female, 5'3.75" tall, 117 lbs, about 20% body fat

*Desk job
    *CrossFit 2x a week with full body heavy lifting and metabolic exercise for intense 10-20 minute sessions, plus brief warm-ups and cooldowns of 5-10 min.
    *Steady state running 2-3x a week - 1 will be a long run of about 2 hours and gradually increasing as I build distance. The other run(s) will be shorter for about 30-45 min. each (this will very likely only be 1 short run per week since I'm doing CF and there's running involved in it sometimes).
    *I also plan to continue lifting heavy 1 day on my own - full body compound lifts for about 30 minutes with rest periods.

So based on this info... any idea what amount of calories I should be aiming for? :flowerforyou: Most TDEE calculators like Scooby give options of "3-5 hours moderate exercise" or "5-6 hours strenuous." I'm not sure which one to choose since some is steady state and longer, some is shorter but more intense.

Use this for rough estimate of hours to plug in to the 5 broad categories. Rather, just do the math using the exact same formula those levels are based on.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1018770-better-rough-tdee-estimate-than-5-level-chart

One suggestion though on your day with a run longer than 1 hr.
    Only count 1 hr of that time to include in the formula.
    Anything over that hour, eat back that same day post workout with same deficit %.

You don't need those burn calories spread out over the whole week where they won't do any good for that one long run. You need them post workout to help top off glucose stores, so you are correctly prepared for your next workout.
  • KatieDuvall612
    KatieDuvall612 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thank you, everyone! This has been helpful.

I have one more question about the spreadsheet, Heybales.
    Would the steady running and CrossFit/metabolic workouts both count as "high cardio exercise"? I just want to be sure since the intensity levels are so different, and I feel like running would probably be medium cardio except it's faster than 4mph (I usually run at about a 5.5 - 6mph pace). Thank you!
  • heybales
    Options
    They would. Running is still cardio, and calorie burn can be very decently calculatedif 5-6.3 mph flat.

But the crossfit is anaerobic efforts, but not with the rests like real lifting has, so it's more burn than that.

Though it feels more intense, I'd bet it really doesn't burn that much different during the workout compared to running. It has more lasting effects afterwards though, but since that is fat burn, not going to count that.

Both are high cardio. One may feel much higher than the other, but that's the anaerobic nature of it.

Kind of like many will feel a good lifting workout of 30 min was much more intense than a 30 min jog at 6 mph. But actually, it burned less during the session.