Strikes at McDonald's, Wendy's to pay employees $15 hour.

Options

Replies

• soldier4242
    soldier4242 Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    S glad I'm not American. Who would want to live such a selfish life that you don't want people being paid enough to surivive?

And I but most of you call yourselves Christians too. Interesting to see your faces when your God casts you to he'll for ignoring everything that he put down.

I think perhaps that YOU should learn your Scripture before you go around babbling this sort of drivel.

Proverbs 12:24
    Proverbs 13:4
    2 Thessalonians 3:10-12
    Matthew 25:14-30

The Bible is rife with advocating hard work and diligence and warns that those who are not will end up in poverty.

Sheesh, even an atheist knows this.

While what you are saying here is true the bible is also rife with scriptures claiming that we should give not care for tomorrow. Whatever we ask in faith we shall receive. Prayer is infinitely more important than our works. Since Jesus himself said some of these things I can see how one could come to the conclusion that our hardest of work is meaningless compared to the fruits that we could harvest by focusing on prayer instead.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    S glad I'm not American. Who would want to live such a selfish life that you don't want people being paid enough to surivive?

And I but most of you call yourselves Christians too. Interesting to see your faces when your God casts you to he'll for ignoring everything that he put down.

I think perhaps that YOU should learn your Scripture before you go around babbling this sort of drivel.

The Bible is rife with advocating hard work and diligence and warns that those who are not will end up in poverty.

While what you are saying here is true the bible is also rife with scriptures claiming that we should give not care for tomorrow. Whatever we ask in faith we shall receive. Prayer is infinitely more important than our works. Since Jesus himself said some of these things I can see how one could come to the conclusion that our hardest of work is meaningless compared to the fruits that we could harvest by focusing on prayer instead.

Soldier,

I really don't want to see another "debating" group thread unravel into a religious debate with you as the champion of the "anti-Christian" view. But I do have to say that I believe you have grossly misinterpretted the bible.
  • soldier4242
    Options

Soldier,

I really don't want to see another "debating" group thread unravel into a religious debate with you as the champion of the "anti-Christian" view. But I do have to say that I believe you have grossly misinterpretted the bible.

Husky,

I really don't want to see another thread get riddled with a bunch of vacuous responses explaining to me the importance of ignoring evidence with you as the champion for "Faith is evidence" view but I think you have grossly misinterpretted the bible.

Just because you have rose colored glasses on and you choose to see everything in there from the condoning to slavery to the marginalizing of women as actually being something good doesn't mean that I am the one with the problem.

Furthermore I have not derailed any of the debating threads with my views on religion. "Why does god hate amputees" was about religion long before I ever made my first post. The same is true of "Why there is no Freewill" You might not like the rails that the conversations were already on but that isn't my fault. I threw down the gauntlet with "You set the bar too high." but that was my thread and I started the conversation. I have not "derailed" anything.

I am not sitting around waiting for people to make faith based claims so I can jump at them. "Capital Punishment" was also my topic and religion never came up so it was never discussed even though a topic like that is prime fodder for the religious to sink their teeth in to. That said I have no intention of backing down when the faithful raise their flag and go charging in to a debate.

I don't ever see you complain when someone says the solution to a problem is prayer or the cause of a problem is out lack of allegiance to god but you do have a problem with me when I gainsay those claims. If you don't want people like me to point out the obvious logical holes in religion then you should talk to your fellow believers and not me. You could tell your fellow believers that they are derailing the conversation by talking about faith based claims in the affirmative.

I know you won't do that because in your mind I am the problem and not those that advocate faith.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options

Soldier,

Husky,

I really don't want to see another thread get riddled with a bunch of vacuous responses explaining to me the importance of ignoring evidence with you as the champion for "Faith is evidence" view but I think you have grossly misinterpretted the bible.

Just because you have rose colored glasses on and you choose to see everything in there from the condoning to slavery to the marginalizing of women as actually being something good doesn't mean that I am the one with the problem.

Furthermore I have not derailed any of the debating threads with my views on religion. "Why does god hate amputees" was about religion long before I ever made my first post. The same is true of "Why there is no Freewill" You might not like the rails that the conversations were already on but that isn't my fault. I threw down the gauntlet with "You set the bar too high." but that was my thread and I started the conversation. I have not "derailed" anything.

I am not sitting around waiting for people to make faith based claims so I can jump at them. "Capital Punishment" was also my topic and religion never came up so it was never discussed even though a topic like that is prime fodder for the religious to sink their teeth in to. That said I have no intention of backing down when the faithful raise their flag and go charging in to a debate.

I don't ever see you complain when someone says the solution to a problem is prayer or the cause of a problem is out lack of allegiance to god but you do have a problem with me when I gainsay those claims. If you don't want people like me to point out the obvious logical holes in religion then you should talk to your fellow believers and not me. You could tell your fellow believers that they are derailing the conversation by talking about faith based claims in the affirmative.

I know you won't do that because in your mind I am the problem and not those that advocate faith.

Multiple threads seem to get derailed here, maybe not purposely by you, but you certainly do not fail to contend with any faith-based response, which ultimately results in the defense of those responses, and in turn, a subsequent derailment.

Why can't you let people just believe what they want to believe? Why must you respond in direct contention at all? You could keep your non-faith-based responses directed at the OP's question, and completely avoid turning a labor dispute thread into a contextual religious showdown.
  • soldier4242
    Options

Soldier,

Husky,

Multiple threads seem to get derailed here, maybe not purposely by you, but you certainly do not fail to contend with any faith-based response.
    And you do not fail to defend faith based claims. It is certainly fortunate that we have a group here where we can both exist. I guarantee the general forums will lock down any thread that dare to advocate either side of a religious debate. Or any other debate that contains a topic of real significance.

Since you believe that there are an abundance of threads which I have derailed please list a few of them for me and I will read through them. If you could go so far as to tell me exactly where I derailed it then that would be appreciated by not required.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options

Soldier,

Husky,

Multiple threads seem to get derailed here, maybe not purposely by you, but you certainly do not fail to contend with any faith-based response.
    And you do not fail to defend faith based claims. It is certainly fortunate that we have a group here where we can both exist. I guarantee the general forums will lock down any thread that dare to advocate either side of a religious debate. Or any other debate that contains a topic of real significance.

Since you believe that there are an abundance of threads which I have derailed please list a few of them for me and I will read through them. If you could go so far as to tell me exactly where I derailed it then that would be appreciated by not required.

I did not openly accuse you of derailing any threads... only that you participate in the execution of them.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options

I have a question for those who are against a "living wage" (not sure where I fall on this yet). A major point for these is that they are jobs meant for unskilled workers. Do you support government funds going toward establishing programs to teach the unskilled workers skills so that they can find viable employment?

We already have those programs. The lazy people who want to earn 15 an hour for doing nothing, don't want to sign up and learn a viable skill.
    there are endless government funded job training classes to take.

This. Everywhere that I have ever lived, there have also been this thing called a community college... they are cheaper than dirt and usually have programs to teach people a skill. The one I graduated from had Cosmotology, Auto Mechanics, Auto Body, Electrician, HVAC, Welding, Carpentry... and a few others that escape me right now. These were all valid two year programs that qualified for the Pell grant (which if you were awarded the full amount (as I was and my dad was in the military at the time) then the Pell would more than cover the tuition, fees and books needed to go. My brother got into the HVAC and as Electricians apprentice just by working his *kitten* off.

You don't even have to do it through a college. Every single unemployment office everywhere offers job training classes free.
  • soldier4242
    Options
    Why can't you let people just believe what they want to believe? Why must you respond in direct contention at all? You could keep your non-faith-based responses directed at the OP's question, and completely avoid turning a labor dispute thread into a contextual religious showdown.
    You can just believe. There is no obligation to listen to a single word that I say. I am not trying to get legislation passed which would make it illegal to believe in God. If you want your belief to be taken seriously as an idea with good solid foundation then you should be prepared to defend it. In fact you should welcome it especially if you are in a group centered around debating.

If you want to be able to talk about God all day without any opposition then join a religious group and tell the members that that the fool in his heart knows there is no god. You could create a thread entitled that and spend your entire day with a bunch of believers patting you on the back and telling you just how stupid atheists like me are.

I will also point out that I was responding to someone who was responding to someone else. So why is your issue with me and not the other two who were discussing your bible already. Well the atheist that I was responding to was mentioning those verses that cast the bible in a positive light so you have no problem with his post. In fact we could discuss at length just how following the teachings of the bible would solve all the problems of the world and you would never have a problem with it.

The atheist was responding to someone who was casting the bible in a negative light. Who knows why you didn't say anything to that poster. Perhaps your beef is with me specifically.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options
    You can just believe. There is no obligation to listen to a single word that I say. I am not trying to get legislation passed which would make it illegal to believe in God. If you want your belief to be taken seriously as an idea with good solid foundation then you should be prepared to defend it. In fact you should welcome it especially if you are in a group centered around debating.

If you want to be able to talk about God all day without any opposition then join a religious group and tell the members that that the fool in his heart knows there is no god. You could create a thread entitled that and spend your entire day with a bunch of believers patting you on the back and telling you just how stupid atheists like me are.

I will also point out that I was responding to someone who was responding to someone else. So why is your issue with me and not the other two who were discussing your bible already. Well the atheist that I was responding to was mention those verses that cast the bible in a positive light so you have no problem with his post. In fact we could discuss at length just how following the teachings of the bible would solve all the problems of the world and you would never have a problem with it.

The atheist was responding to someone who was casting the bible in a negative light. Who knows why you didn't say anything to that poster. Perhaps your beef is with me specifically.

Well no... I took issue because the thread was getting away from the subject (derailment) and you were participating (engaging the derailer and encouraging response).
  • soldier4242
    Options
    I did not openly accuse you of derailing any threads... only that you participate in the execution of them.
    When you posted:
    Soldier,

I took that to mean you felt I this thread was another example of a thread unraveling with me as the champion of the "anti-Christian" view. If this is not an accusation of me being the one who derails the thread then I will assume I misinterpreted it.

I do participate in the conversations. It sounds to me like you would prefer that I did not or you would at least prefer it if I were to agree with the believers or at least allow their claims to go by unchallenged. It would be easy to win a debate if all you had to do was tell the other side of that debate to either agree with you or remain silent. Unfortunately that is not how it works.

We are talking about the very foundation of reality itself. We are talking about the existence of an omnipotent being. That topic deserves to be discussed and delved in to. The answer does exist and it is very important. We should not make the mistake of simply believing the thing that we find most appealing. We have to take this very seriously and every single claim must be challenged and only those claims that can stand up to scrutiny deserve to survive.
  • soldier4242
    Options
    Well no... I took issue because the thread was getting away from the subject (derailment) and you were participating (engaging the derailer and encouraging response).
    So it seems to me that your issue should be with Lozze who posted this:

"S glad I'm not American. Who would want to live such a selfish life that you don't want people being paid enough to surivive?

And I but most of you call yourselves Christians too. Interesting to see your faces when your God casts you to he'll for ignoring everything that he put down."

You should also have a problem with whierd who replied to it.

I respond to a response and you zero in on me.
  • soldier4242
    Options
    I didn't make $15 an hour for jobs that required a college education.

And how many people are working entry level fast food jobs (I know there are SOME, but is it a vast majority?) to take care of families? Aren't a lot of them high school and college kids?

Where I live there are a good amount of adults that work at the fast food restaurants. That said, it's not that they don't deserve more money, but it just doesn't make sense as you already pointed out that people with college educations don't even always make $15 an hour right now.

Oh, I make more than that now. But I had to work my way to it. I had minimum wage, unskilled labor jobs while working on my education, then went out into the full-time workforce. I made $10 an hour at my very first full-time job, that did not require a degree. Then decided to pursue journalism (talk about underpaid). I started at $8 an hour at my first newspaper job. I probably would have made more at McDonald's. lol

And I think the fast food industry likes to promote from within so some of the burger flippers can work up to management and the managers do very well.

If they want to make more money, they should work on moving up in the world and not staying in those jobs.

(Edited because I made a terrible -- typo? -- and I am an editor and need to be worthy of MY salary! lol)
    I completely agree. Most of us had to start somewhere. In my case, my first job paid $4.25/hr. I have bust my *kitten* to get where I am today and don't regret all of the hard work and sacrifice it took me to get there.
    Well to be fair when the minimum wage was 4.25/hr it was easier to live off of that then it is to live off of 7:25/hr today. Inflation has always stayed ahead of the minimum wage and I am sure it always will.
  • treetop57
    treetop57 Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    Soldier,

Why should so-called Christians be the only ones with a right to grossly misinterpret the Bible?
  • kyleekay10
    kyleekay10 Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    76d31508_c851d40e_Derail_1.jpeg
  • treetop57
    treetop57 Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    I'm sure glad the discussion has gotten back on track.
  • marsellient
    marsellient Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    These are some of the most profitable corporations around. Just wondering why the employees, many of whom are now having to rely on these jobs as full time, family supporting employment, shouldn't be paid a little more?
  • robdel302
    robdel302 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    These are some of the most profitable corporations around. Just wondering why the employees, many of whom are now having to rely on these jobs as full time, family supporting employment, shouldn't be paid a little more?

Because they’re franchises, the owners of each restaurant don’t have access to cooperate funds.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options

The cost of labor isn't just wages. It also includes hiring, training, unemployment insurance, workman's comp insurance, and, if an employee is worked more than 30 hours a week, there is the expense of healthcare. As previously stated, franchise owners would be hit the hardest, but if you force these companies to double wages, subsequently, they will seek out ways to reduce the cost of labor, which means fewer jobs and stricter requirements to get those jobs.

Think about it. I have two degrees and work for the government. I do not make $15 an hour. If I can make more at fast food and have two degrees, then I might consider leaving my job for fast food. If other educated people do the same, then fast food jobs will have a greater applicant pool of well-educated people, which will make competition for those jobs more serious. Eventually, you will have to have a college degree to work at McDonald's.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options

Because they are willing to work at the price they are currently being paid.
  • AubreysMommy30
    AubreysMommy30 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I have a question for those who are against a "living wage" (not sure where I fall on this yet). A major point for these is that they are jobs meant for unskilled workers. Do you support government funds going toward establishing programs to teach the unskilled workers skills so that they can find viable employment?

Isn't that what college is for?? My parents didn't have much money when I was growing up; my dad was in and out of crappy jobs pretty much the whole time; yet my brother and I both attended and obtained college degrees. We did it with the help of student loans and grants-no trust fund. If someone working a crappy job at a fast food joint isn't happy or feels he/she is 'entitled' to more money the he/she needs to go to school and get a degree. There is no reason why that person cannot obtain an education on their own as well-I earned my degree while working 40+ hours a week and with a 2 year old in tow. It is completely do-able.