Do You Cave in When You Squat?

Replies

• jaxxie
    jaxxie Posts: 572 Member
    Awesome, thanks...tagging for sure!
  • cmeiron
    cmeiron Posts: 1,599 Member
    oooh, nice info. I think I might be doing this a bit...I'll have to watch next workout.
  • DragonSquatter
    DragonSquatter Posts: 957 Member
    My husband used to get bad knee pain when he tried to do even bodyweight squats. This was the issue for him also.

Good article and message.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Bump for later.
  • CrankMeUp
    CrankMeUp Posts: 2,860 Member
    Bad Girl Machine.

yes/no machine.
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    aren't the knees supposed to spread out? Like allowing the awesomeness of the squat to finger bang you kinda spread out?

tumblr_m66el4ld8f1rxkh8vo1_400.jpg

This ^^^^^ made my morning :laugh:
  • fitandgeeky
    fitandgeeky Posts: 232 Member
    I just have to say thanks for posting this when you did. After reading over the article listed, I realized that as I added weight to my squats, my left knee was caving. I've been working for the last 6-8 weeks to correct that and I can happily report that I've manged to correct it! Granted I'm not pushing the same weight as I was, I'm about 15 lbs off my old max, but my knees are stable. Now I just have to work my way back up. Thanks again! This helped me a lot.
  • catfive1
    catfive1 Posts: 529 Member
    My daughter is a physio assistant and she preaches this to me. I have one bad knee so have to be careful.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Tagging.

Love the video on goblet squats. I think I haven't been doing them correctly...and didn't realize about the knee cave in. great article bookmarked!!!
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Bad Girl Machine.

That was my nickname in high school.

Look, I've been fighting for years saying this machine was useful, but noone believed me!!! =)

okok i believe you...i am doing them...and frowning the whole time.
  • BikerGirlElaine
    BikerGirlElaine Posts: 1,631 Member
    Tagging
  • paprad
    paprad Posts: 321 Member
    thanks for the article - just started some knee twinges so I think I need this. my knee doesn't cave like the pics shown but I think there could be some inward pronation
    I do have bands though to use during light squats - it cues you to keep knees out.
    I had read about this but I was wondering - what sort of a band, Sara? If it is an elastic band (and i could stitch up some elastic for that, i guess) how wide should it be?

and how do I ensure that the knees continue to track the toes and don't widen more (in an effort to keep band taut).
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    thanks for the article - just started some knee twinges so I think I need this. my knee doesn't cave like the pics shown but I think there could be some inward pronation
    I do have bands though to use during light squats - it cues you to keep knees out.
    I had read about this but I was wondering - what sort of a band, Sara? If it is an elastic band (and i could stitch up some elastic for that, i guess) how wide should it be?

and how do I ensure that the knees continue to track the toes and don't widen more (in an effort to keep band taut).

They are resistant bands you buy in sports shops/online. They are a wide thick latexy stretchy material that is produced in a loop. If they have enough resistance, you do not have to worry about your knees tracking wide. However, you make sure they do not just like you would if you did not have them one.
  • paprad
    Thanks Sara, I'll look it up. So they would be of the same diameter (for want of a better term) - no matter who the squatter is? From what it sounds, the function is more of a cue or a reminder to keep the knees alert, yes?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Thanks Sara, I'll look it up. So they would be of the same diameter (for want of a better term) - no matter who the squatter is? From what it sounds, the function is more of a cue or a reminder to keep the knees alert, yes?

Same diameter. And it is more than just a cue - it also adds additional muscles into the equation - well, really it adds more of different muscles into the equation to be more precise.
  • paprad
    Thanks Sara - I saw this post just before my workout and I was itching to see how it worked, so I found a length of elastic at home and stitched up the ends (and hoped that the stitching wouldn't give in mid-squat) and gave it a try - and it did make a difference - the effect is a bit subtle, but I can see what you mean by how it recruits different muscles.

I'll get myself a proper band later but I couldn't resist trying it out pronto!
  • cicisiam
    cicisiam Posts: 491 Member
    If so, fix it before you hurt yourself.

I wish this article was written a few years ago. I was having knee pain while squatting, and couldn't figure out why. Eventually, the knee pain started happening while doing normal daily activities. I almost gave up squatting for good. I finally figured out that my knees were caving in at the bottom of my squat and figured out how to fix it.

Thanks to Bret Contreras, you don't have to learn the hard way like I did: http://bretcontreras.com/knee-valgus-valgus-collapse-glute-medius-strengthening-band-hip-abduction-exercises-and-ankle-dorsiflexion-drills/
  • yankeedownsouth
    yankeedownsouth Posts: 717 Member
    Tagging
  • PlayerHatinDogooder
    PlayerHatinDogooder Posts: 1,018 Member
    Tagging this b*tch.

Thanks #1 Chief Rocka

ChiefRocka_zps2500122a.gif