Low carb life style~ steady & happy for 2 years with it!

Options
I need to add friends. PLEASE ADD ME!! Like everyone~ I run into lumpy times with all the bad foods that are so "in our faces" out there. I have been living the low carb life style for years but have had it under better control for the last 2 years. I recently hit a bump and starting from step one to get back on board with it before I have any big weight gain. I went up 5 pounds and that's my set limit for not being acceptable to get any heavier. So 4 days ago I started fasting and just doing broths, protein drinks 3 to 5 times a day, and WATER! My weight is coming down but the big thing is my CARB craving is all but gone. On day 6 I will start with my protein in meals. Eggs for breakfast, a grilled pork loin, or broiled fish for lunch with a little steamed spinach, and so on. I did start this with Atkins but I don't follow their idea totally. So this is what is working for me and I have never had better check ups, labs, and energy then when I keep my carbs under control. I just feel so much better... Like I can see everything, life, more clear.

I do not eat breads, pasta, rice, junk foods, chips, etc... and recently I noticed I was! I noticed I was tired everyday... it all started rolling into a nasty snowball effect and I was seeing the results of CARBS!!!

So it's a life long commitment for me because I like feeling good. I don't want those tired sluggish days and feeling out of sorts. I want to live and go forward~ and I am~

So please add me. I can always use encouragement and I give it as well.

Thank You

Replies

• Math_Geek
    Math_Geek Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Great post! I seem to have hit a bump too, where everything was working great, then not so much. I'll add you, I can always use low carb friends.

I stay off the main forums, holy cow it is crazy arguments out there today with the muscleheads, poor woman asked about a ketogenic diet and if it was good or not...oh my, everyone is an expert.
  • MermaidTX
    MermaidTX Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean about feeling better since going low carb. My gut doesn't hurt anymore, my complexion is 100% better (red splotches on my face are *gone*) and I'm excited I found a way to eat w/o feeling hungry all the time.

I'll add you, too!
  • Mrs_Holly
    Options
    thank you!! :)
  • Golightly17
    Golightly17 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    The snowball effect is exactly what I get too when I indulge in starches. Low carb has been the only diet or as I prefer lifestyle that has worked for me health wise. Nice to meet you!
  • 86toronado
    Options
    I'll add you! I am doing more primal - 50-100g of carbs/day, mostly from veggies and nuts. No processed stuff. I am probably about 70% primal, 30% not right now, and that's okay for me at this stage in my life... selling our house, and getting ready to move cross country is not the ideal time to completely revamp my lifestyle. But I to have noticed that when I do "fall off" it is so hard to get back on track... case in point, I ate 2 very small pieces of rye toast with my omlette this morning because I was stressed about our home appraisal - now I am craving everything and anything... currently chowing through my day's alottment of almonds, just to keep myself from going to the vending machine for chips (I'm at work). Anyway, totally get where you are coming from, and will definately add you, I need supportive buddies too!
  • Mrs_Holly
    Options
    thanks far adding me :)
  • Mrs_Holly
    Options
    86toronado where to where are you moving? I agree it would be hard to keep everything straight while making a big move. I went to visit in Ohio for a 2 week stay, over 2000 miles away, camping in the woods 1 week and in a cottage another. I made up a case of foods like my powder protein for shakes, decaf coffee, crystal light, chia seeds, certain spices I like and so on to have when I got there. I made sure I bought everything I needed for meals as well so I didn't slip while everyone was having somemores and such. I didn't leave it up to anyone else to make sure I had what " I " could eat low carb. I took the margarita crystal light for my night beverage drink while others drank some spirits. I made sure I logged on to here each day as well. So if you can... keep it going. :)
  • tlog73
    tlog73 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I will add you! I'm kind of absent this week but will be back hopefully on the 20th and planning to start the SB diet. I hit a bump to and just can't seem to jump over it :bigsmile:
  • Reytor
    Reytor Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I added you as well. I just started low carb again after trying numerous different approaches. Low carb seemed to work the best so I'm going to stick it out this time!
  • moss11
    moss11 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Glad to hear it is working for you and your right, it can be hard when others don't understand our lifestyle choice!
  • Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I just "friended" you. I've been going back an forth on low carb but am making a real commitment to it this go around. I've been "slightly" diabetic for a while but lately things have gotten harder to deal with and I'm realizing the importance. I did before but for some reason didn't take it as seriously. Anyway, I'd love to hear from more low carbers, though in fair warning I don't always post things. Not because I'm being anti-social, I'm just never sure what everyone wants to hear, lol.
  • redheadbynature
    redheadbynature Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I'd love to have more friends on here. Especially the low-carb/keto supportive ones. My family and I adapted a ketogenic diet in February. Right now I'm on a hugely frustrating plateau. Family support is what keeps me going. We are fully committed and teaching our 2 young daughters a healthier lifestyle.
  • 86toronado
    Options
    86toronado where to where are you moving? I agree it would be hard to keep everything straight while making a big move. I went to visit in Ohio for a 2 week stay, over 2000 miles away, camping in the woods 1 week and in a cottage another. I made up a case of foods like my powder protein for shakes, decaf coffee, crystal light, chia seeds, certain spices I like and so on to have when I got there. I made sure I bought everything I needed for meals as well so I didn't slip while everyone was having somemores and such. I didn't leave it up to anyone else to make sure I had what " I " could eat low carb. I took the margarita crystal light for my night beverage drink while others drank some spirits. I made sure I logged on to here each day as well. So if you can... keep it going. :)
    We're moving from upstate NY to Sarasota FL. Not planning to move until then end of the year, but we are in the process of selling our house, then will move in with my father to save money... but I definately feel way better when I am eating low carb. I ate some carbs over the weekend, because I was doing the tough mudder in VT and didn't want to crash during the race. But then was reminded why I eat the way I do when I woke up the morning after the race with my stomach growling. That never happens when you are in ketosis!
  • leighn62
    leighn62 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I added you as a friend. My diary is open. I like to cook so there are always a lot of entries to account for the ingredients. I have found it pretty easy to stay away from carbs other than veggies and only indulge if it is the best thing ever and will be worth it. That happened last week when someone brought the most amazing cinnamon buns to the office. I don't even really care about them usually but I could just tell they would be amazing. So I indulged, blew my carbs for the day, didn't beat myself up because I decided ti was worth it and got right back on the horse. No cravings even after that. I think in my head I hadn't deprived myself of the best thing ever so I was able to continue with healthy eating after. Also, I follow Primal so I believe my body is fat adapted so the cravings didn't result.. I think the lack of processed foods and any food out of a box really keeps the insulin spikes to a minimum even when I do indulge.
  • nickiboop
    nickiboop Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Hi I have sent you a friend request :-)

Im back on the low carb myself this week, I have fasted today and already starting to feel better
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    What??? Low carb isn't sustainable!!!

:wink: :drinker:

Sorry. Just had to go there tonight. I've been perusing the main boards again.

Congrats on 2 years! THAT sounds like a lifestyle!:flowerforyou: