You know what I love...?

Options
AleciaG724
AleciaG724 Posts: 705 Member
Sorry, all you "haters", I guess I'm just a "the pool is half-full" kind of a person! While I thoroughly enjoy your rants, I need some positive energy, so here goes...

I love the weightlessness I feel in a pool! Swimming is so easy on the joints!

I love feeling wet but not sweaty after my workout!

I love wearing a swim cap so my hair doesn't feel like straw after swimming!

I love actually swimming laps instead of doing water aerobics!

I love wearing earplugs so I don't get water in my ears & I can ignore people trying to talk to me during recovery!

I love having a "girl crush" on a swimmer with my ideal UGW body who swims like a fish!

I love the ladies trying to talk me into doing the Aqua Aerobics instead of laps (No, thank you...)!

I love that I can actually swim a whole lap at a time without feeling like my lungs are going to burst!

I love the burn from a few laps with the kickboard!

I love the calorie burn from lap swimming instead of the wimpy one I used to get from "leisurely swimming"

I love not caring what people think of my fat *kitten* climbing up the steps to get out of the pool - I WILL be able to jump up and lift my skinnier *kitten* out from the side one day!

I love swimming laps while the lazy parents watch their kids take swim lessons! Come in the pool & swim, then you can judge me!

I love smelling like chlorine - it means I swam laps today!

I love that the pool at the gym is a constant 84 degrees (except when the heaters kick on & it feels like the person in the lane next to me peed in the pool!)

I love swimming in an indoor pool that I don't have to skim & has no bugs or leaves floating on top!

I love that I can swim laps in a 25yd pool instead of paddling around in my backyard pool!

I love that I've lost almost 40# swimming and have not reached a plateau, so I don't have to do any of the scary machines yet!!

I love the old men who swim with snorkels!!

I love that I don't have to wear sunscreen to swim indoors!

I love that my gym and pool are open 24/7 so I have no excuses!

I love when I swim late in the evening and have the pool all to myself!

I love that I have a pool in my backyard so I can swim a little bit even if I don't have time to do laps at the gym!

Okay, that's all I can think of right now... time to go swim laps!! Later Haters!!

Replies

• matthew_b
    matthew_b Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I love the old ladies that come to the pool and swim kick butt super fast laps. It gives me something to strive for - not getting passed by a 70 y/o lady every 5 laps.

Yeah, I love the clean feeling right after a hard workout too.

I love getting to the point where I can say to myself "one mile left" and it doesn't seem that far.

I love it when they back-flush the filter when I'm well into my workout. Just when I get really hot, they dump a couple thousand gallons of 55F city water in the pool and cool it down.

I'm normally an evening swimmer because I've got two kids on a swim team and that puts me there at the same time. But when I do go in the morning, I love the solitude and the accomplishment of a good workout before going to work.

I love mastering the flip turn and the accomplishment of swimming a complete mile without any pause the whole time.

I love having a long distance pace that leaves behind any non-experienced swimmer sprinting as hard as they can no matter how good of shape they are in.
  • AleciaG724
    AleciaG724 Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    Thanks Matthew! It's great read the things you love!!
  • matthew_b
    matthew_b Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Thanks Matthew! It's great read the things you love!!

You're welcome.

Come on you other MFP swim nuts, add to this thread. I LOL many times at the hate thread, but I think this one can be great too!
  • garnet56
    garnet56 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    As a 65 year old woman I love it when I swim past the men who pose before they get in the pool then swim breast stroke with their heads out of the water.
  • wild_wild_life
    wild_wild_life Posts: 1,334 Member
    Options
    I love how I can see better underwater without my glasses than I can abovewater

I love how I can push myself as hard as I can and still feel relaxed after a swim

I love pretending like I can fly
  • kcaffee1
    kcaffee1 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    I love the challenge of each stroke - mastering the form, mastering the technique

I love the fact that you can challenge yourself, no matter WHAT physical condition you are in - either swim faster, or swim farther - yet you don't have the same risk of self injury you have with MOST dryland exercse routines.

I love the fact that as I swim, muscles are starting to draw up some of the loose/baggy skin on the tummy and arms (though, having to add lifting core work to really make a difference in the tummy region now)

I love the solitude of lap swimming, even if there are others in the pool at the same time, you can still be "in your own world" - especially if you can get a lane to yourself.

I doubly love that most swimmers are helpful - if you are having trouble with a stroke or technique, you can usually get help if the other person isn't in the middle of an endurance swim and has some knowledge that will help you out.

I love how swimming laps can complement lifting heavy things - what helps with one usually helps with the other.

I love how swimming is improving lung capacity - ex smoker, and the sooner I can get the lung capacity increased again, the less chance of developing all of the nasty late-life "smoker" diseases like emphysema, COPD, etc. At least in a severe case.

I love the water to begin with, so I almost cannot express how much I love swimming anywhere because it's in the water!