WANTED: Low Sodium Recipes!!

Options
Pipenny
Pipenny Posts: 27 Member
So I retain A LOT of water, especially in my ankles :frown:, when I have the slightest bit of salt. I generally cook without it, but all foods in general have sodium. I am looking for tasty, heathly meals, that are low in sodium.

Thank you in advance!!! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• 4michellelong
    4michellelong Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain and have the same problem. I try to stay under 2000mg daily and have learned to find cook just about everything from scratch. Veggies and fruits get kicked up in my kitchen with herbs and zero sodium spices. I have found lots of recipe sources on pinterest and online. Packaged foods and restaurant food, although convenient, have to be seriously budgeted in my daily intake.
  • 4michellelong
    4michellelong Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain and have the same problem. I try to stay under 2000mg daily and have learned to find cook just about everything from scratch. Veggies and fruits get kicked up in my kitchen with herbs and zero sodium spices. I have found lots of recipe sources on pinterest and online. Packaged foods and restaurant food, although convenient, have to be seriously budgeted in my daily intake.

http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Conditions/HighBloodPressure/HighBloodPressureToolsResources/Low-Sodium-Recipes_UCM_306800_Article.jsp?gclid=CMHz2ZfxhLkCFY2Z4AodqnoA9Q

http://www.fatsecret.com/recipes/collections/nutrition/low-sodium/Default.aspx

http://www.natural-homeremedies.org/blog/top-10-home-remedies-for-water-retention/

Here are some places to start and also think about whether you're getting enough potassium in your diet.
  • Pipenny
    Options
    Awesome!!!! Thank you so much!!!!!!
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Start loading up on potassium. Sodium and potassium are both electrolytes that regulate water when in balance. Canned tomatoes are really high potassium, but can have a lot of additional sodium. I use low-sodium canned tomatoes. You can make a chili with low-sodium tomatoes. I also make a tomato soup that is really high in potassium and super-easy.

1 or 2 cans of low-sodium tomato paste
    1 bag of frozen soup-mix veggies
    water to suit consistency preferences

Low sodium... lots and lots of potassium.

Its great for managing water retention.
  • JoanneC_Walks
    JoanneC_Walks Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestion with low-sodium tomatoes. My husband is the one who needs to watch his sodium and I am always challenged to find low sodium dishes that he will like. I have some chili recipes and a few others that he loves call for tomatoes.
  • Pipenny
    Options
    Start loading up on potassium. Sodium and potassium are both electrolytes that regulate water when in balance. Canned tomatoes are really high potassium, but can have a lot of additional sodium. I use low-sodium canned tomatoes. You can make a chili with low-sodium tomatoes. I also make a tomato soup that is really high in potassium and super-easy.

1 or 2 cans of low-sodium tomato paste
    1 bag of frozen soup-mix veggies
    water to suit consistency preferences

Low sodium... lots and lots of potassium.

Its great for managing water retention.

Thank you for the suggestions. I use the low sodium canned tomatos too!! Do you have other foods that you can recommend that are low sodium and high in postassium. I am allergic to bananas so I stay clear of them.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Try to stay away from canned vegetables, they tend to be higher on the sodium side. There are reduced or salt free canned vegetables, but they are sometimes hard to find or cost more. Use low sodium or salt free broths always, and make your own soups. Soups freeze really well. So you can make a huge pot of chicken soup and freeze out in portions.

Make your own salsas. Pica De Gallo is an easy salsa, and you can cut the salt a lot by making your own.

Try to use other herbs instead of salt. For example, instead of salt and pepper, find a salt free seasoning to season steak and chicken...or even fries! Or make your own!

Just remember, don't cut salt completely out. Your body does need it!