Looking for BodyMedia Fit Friends :)

Options

Replies

• Spresto2
    Spresto2 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Yes, I've had mine only a week and I had been seriously overestimating the calories expended for all my different workouts: jogging, aerobics, walks, biking...I would wear a polar HRM and when I got to my computer I would input my activity and the amt. the HRM had read...turns out...this was not accurate and I was giving myself way too many exercise credits. For those who "eat back" this would seriously cause issues. Especially if you don't get a lot of other activities in your day to offset it...activities that you don't input, that is.

I'm looking forward to my next weigh-in for once. I've been putting in every morsel and making sure to keep a deficit of 500-1500 daily so that I average around 1000 a day by end of week. :)

What makes you think it's the HRM which is wrong? What type of exercise are you doing.

To be completely honest...I suppose I *don't* have scientific evidence to support the HRM being wrong, but I will tell you that there is a huge difference in "burns" given by the polar HRM and the BFM. For one high intensity aerobic exercise session of 50 min. duration, BM said 400 and Polar said 550. For a low intensity 50 min. walk at a 3.5 pace or so, there was a 75 calorie difference, Polar gave me 75 extra. The reason I am apt to say the polar is the "wronger" one is because I've been wearing it for over a year and eating back most of the exercise (per the MFP plan) and have lost 0 lbs. And in 1 week of wearing this BM, I've lost 2 lbs. Of course this could all be wishful thinking and placebo effect and I suppose only time will tell the tale! :)
  • ttippie2000
    ttippie2000 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    For the most part the BMF is great. I do roll my eyes when I'm climbing hills on my bicycle in the Sierra Nevada at 175 heart rate (Which is high for a 50 year old) and it says I'm working about as hard as when I walk my dog. But that's okay, most of the rest of the time it's pretty good. And it's way better than the spreadsheet I was keeping manually before...

WHY does it do that though?! I don't understand how it works well enough yet to understand how it is accurate most of the time and then not during activities like the one you described here. Can someone explain a little more to me about when the BM is counting calorie burn accurately and when not? Which activities does it seem to "like" and WHY IS THAT!? I am "ok" with is underestimating though (if I had to choose between it being generous or stingy, I like stingy) because my former HRM's all grossly overestimated. Anyone add me, I very much enjoy seeing all the pounds lost weekly by those who use this system...it is super motivating for me to maintain my lovely "deficit".

The BMF has a temperature sensor and a motion sensor that works in 3 dimensions. As I understand it, the motion sensor is sensitive to lurching type motions, such as you do when you swing your arm when walking or running or playing tennis or boxing, etc. However, when you ride your bike you don't swing your arm and hence don't get the same effect.

How I deal with bicycling is to take off my BMF altogether during the ride and then go in afterwards and enter in the ride as off-body (you can do this on the website). You can pick the duration and speed that you rode and get a decent, and I suspect a bit high, estimate of your calories expended. But if it turns out to be high, no problem, just lower the speed you report it at. Does that make sense?
  • jennywat
    jennywat Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    You can add me, I have had the CORE armband for 2.5 years and I love it!!
  • JRadd14
    JRadd14 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    For the most part the BMF is great. I do roll my eyes when I'm climbing hills on my bicycle in the Sierra Nevada at 175 heart rate (Which is high for a 50 year old) and it says I'm working about as hard as when I walk my dog. But that's okay, most of the rest of the time it's pretty good. And it's way better than the spreadsheet I was keeping manually before...

I recently wore it on the outside of my upper calf when riding my recumbent and got much better readings than when wearing it on my arm. It wasn't as high of burn as what the bike's display read, but most machines are incorrect anyway (especially since this bike didn't ask for height, weight, or any variables...

Mind you, I only wear it in this alternate location just when I'm on the recumbent bike, anywhere else I wear it on my arm.
    I'd be curious to see what your readings look like since you have compiled data have a good idea of what your 'normal' range is...
  • nacole2122
    nacole2122 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    add me
  • TiaXL
    TiaXL Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Hi all:

I just got my BMC about a week ago and have been totally obsessed with it's findings. At times I feel totally overwhelmed because i want to know how long I actually slept. It's good to see fellow MFP using this amazing tool as well.

Would love to make new friends on the same mission as me... Add me!
  • jmcreynolds91
    jmcreynolds91 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Anyone can add me! Have had mine for a week!
  • lovebig30
    lovebig30 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    ive had mine for 2 weeks and love it feel free to add me you can never have too many friends
  • ThriceBlessed
    ThriceBlessed Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I've had my bodymedia since January, but only started using it regularly in July. Having great results since then, feel free to add me also!
  • kaykai507
    Options
    Just got my bodyMedia. very excited
  • Onaughmae
    Onaughmae Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    I just got mine yesterday..anyone feel free to add me :smile:
  • mnb3301
    mnb3301 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I have had mine for 6 weeks now and overall its been great. Helps to keep me focused and make sure I eat enough when I exercise a lot. I especially like the alarm feature you set up. Mine chirps a 12:30 telling me to hit the gym. I have had a polar ft4 Heart rate monitor for when i exercise for several years and i find that the calories burned are almost identical for some exercises and a bit off target for others. If you are an elliptical user, you may want to take the bodymedia suggestion of moving it down closer to the elbow, when I did that the calories burned seemed more in line with my HRM. as for spin classes...well ill let you know after I start next week.

Feel free to add me, would love to hear from other Bodymedia users.
  • christinarayburn3
    Options
    I've had mine since the beginning of August, using the CORE, and absolutely loved it. I burn way more calories in a day than I ever expected, so it's really helped me and I'm already down 4 lbs.

Feel free to add me as well!
  • jlschaal
    jlschaal Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Ok, I just joined my fitness pal and got a body media fit. Just looking for any support and tips on how to use both tools.

First question, have 180 lbs to loose, granted, but its telling me I need to eat 3990 calories a day....also, its tell me to burn 4990 (to loose two lbs per week). That seems like a ton of calories to consume....i don't know, any thoughts?
  • verdemujer
    verdemujer Posts: 1,397 Member
    Options
    Jischaal - you can customize the settings. I use the custom as I would rather lose a lb a week than two. For me, I know 2 is more exercise than I can do in a week.

Have you looked at the videos on the site for an overview of how to set your profile up for you?
  • adiposediet
    Options
    I just joined the group and will go through & send requests later ... but if anyone wants to send me one first I can always use more friends on here :)
  • mishkamom
    Options
    I have been wearing my BMF for a little over a week ~ looking forward to seeing what the scale says this week. Would some other friends on MFP who are using the BMF for advice, support, etc. !!
    Michelle
  • OMGeeeHorses
    OMGeeeHorses Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    feel free to add me :), I have had mine close to a year, I love it. I haven't been wearing it for like a few days because I keep forgetting to put it on after a shower, but that's alright it really shows you how YOUR body burns and is AMAZING!!
  • madtownjeremy
    Options
    I've had mine for a little over a year and love it. And here's the thing about HRMs that do calorie burns; it doesn't REALLY know what your body is doing. It calculates your HR and then plugs that into a stored formula and from that gives you an estimated burn (same as using any old calculator on the net). It doesn't use the same mass of bio-data that your BodyMedia does.

This is why bodymedia users DON'T over-credit themselves on burns, DON'T overeat and DO get consistent results as opposed to a lot of calorie-burn-HRM users that aren't getting much in terms of results but claim that they burned 5000 cals in three hours this weekend on their bikes (BTW, they most certainly did not).

So that rant aside, best of luck with your Bodymedia!!! Welcome to the club!
  • anthonybsmith
    anthonybsmith Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I ordered mine yesterday and should have it within the next few days. I too would love to have some BMF friends. My workouts will unique between kettlebells, boxing, bodybuilding and martial arts and I would love to share anything that will help others progress.