September Chat

Options
jeanmrob
jeanmrob Posts: 637 Member
....season of mists and mellow fruitfulness.....

I love Autumn!

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Jean

Replies

• katiepeg46
    katiepeg46 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I also love Autumn, but I hate to see the summer go. No more shorts....and the cold weather is on its way. I do go more places in Autumn though because it is not hot! LOL :flowerforyou:

Kathy
  • mermaidmom48
    mermaidmom48 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    That was a pretty phrase Jean. I love autumn too. Yesterday was almost 100 and tomorrow will be back in the 80's. Yet I still see autumn on its way. The flowers are about bloomed out and the cicadas sing ceaselessly. My southern mom called them jar fly's and always said it was an end-of-summer sound. I will miss the sun mostly. Autumn is so short and I know that winter will be nipping along right behind it. I don't do well in the cold. But golden autumn, how breathtaking it is while it lasts.
  • gramanana
    gramanana Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    Hopefully, we'll have beautiful color in the trees! That's my favorite.
  • jeanmrob
    Options
    My opening comment was the first line of a poem by John Keats.....Ode To Autumn ...one of my favourites!

Living in England I do love the changing seasons....... different flowers, plants and scenery...different light .. not thrilled by this morning's wind though! It's not all good ! lol

:flowerforyou:

Jean
  • ppaolini4340
    Options
    Love Autumn also. Love the color of the trees in the Blue Ridge Mountains. Hopefully the 25 inches of rain we have had since June 1st hasn't ruined them this year. Seems like it has rained about 6 out of 7 days and we usually get an inch an hour or more when it rains. Wondering if the winter will be the same way with snowfalls?? :sad: Think i will make sure to bring my laptop home from work everyday just in case.

Anyway, Happy Labor Day to all.

God Bless.

Pam
  • Joe_Atlanta
    Joe_Atlanta Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Dare to dream. After 4 attempts over a 35 year span, 64 year old Diana Nyad should be finishing her 103 mile swim from Cuba to Florida about now.
    http://www.diananyad.com/
  • amflautist
    amflautist Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    Diana Nyad IS the inspirational story for today and for our generation. We all need to grab a dream and work hard to achieve it.
  • Wooken3
    Wooken3 Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    In Great Fall MT now heading to Glacier Nat'l Park Wednesday and watching the cottonwoods turning more with each mile north. What a treat for this desert dweller :bigsmile:
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    Autumn has always been my favorite season, I don't like lots of heat nor cold. And spring rain is great for grass and flowers but not me, so autumn is the perfect season for me. I love harvest season!

I love to travel then and just hanging out. We get Colorado Gold around here, should be starting any day now.
  • walkswithart
    walkswithart Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Thanks to you all for giving me just the lift I needed this morning. Happy Autumn to us all.
  • Joe_Atlanta
    Options
    It'll be a while before it's autumn in Georgia, nice day for a swim!
  • Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    When we drove to the Oregon coast last weekend the trees were already turning.They haven't started to turn here in Nevada yet! I love Fall!
  • jeanmrob
    Options
    Our lovely end of summer sunshine was glorious yesterday - today has been cooler and raining all day long........ I walked this morning and tested out my new yellow rain jacket ... it passed the test! Then spent an hour making soup and ironing before a cosy hour on the sofa reading......

A good first week to September :flowerforyou:

Jean
  • KathleenC12
    KathleenC12 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Magnificent time of year, here in northeastern Canada, the local market brimming with tomatoes, apples, squash. Walking, I feel the sun's warmth overlaid with cool, crisp air.

And now with MFP I can manage what I eat for our Thanksgiving, which we celebrate on Oct. 14!
  • Joe_Atlanta
    Options
    Weather has been great here in Atlanta, mid 80's day/ high 60's night. I've been squeezing in a few swims before the local pool shuts down for the season and wondering what I was going to do for cross training (I walk/hike daily).

As I finished a swim I noticed the local tennis team (including some older guys) practicing on the courts. I wandered over and watched for a while thinking to myself how much I used to love tennis back in my 30's. The last time I attempted it I pulled so many muscles I sold all my tennis gear at a yard sale.

Well, long story short, I've been playing again and loving it! So far no injuries or excessive soreness (except for whatever muscles you work when you run sideways!). I'm a lot slower than 24 years ago, but my strokes are pretty much still there. We will see if it works out, but it's fun and a hell of a calorie burn!
  • californiagirl1950
    Options
    Joe, that is awesome. Good for you for even trying. So many times I think most of us think we can't do something, so we don't even give it a shot!
  • californiagirl1950
    Options
    Our September weather has been the usual. Over 100 the past 4 days, close to it today and tomorrow then I believe a cool down. I remember back 4 years ago on Sept 30 my granddaughters 5th birthday and it was 110! No kidding. I am loving the heat though, because I get to enjoy my little pool a bit longer.

Hope you all are having a marvelous September so far and it continues to be so.
  • gramanana
    gramanana Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    It's really hot here in Northern Illinois--supposed to get into the mid nineties for the next couple of days. I'd love to have a cool down, hopefully later in the week. Maybe I'll get a motorcycle ride with hubby today or tomorrow (LOL). Hope everyone is having a great day!
  • BethR1949
    Options
    I love autumn weather as well...but here in the Midwest city of Indianapolis, Indiana it is again in the 90s. But I still get my bike ride in early in the morning and my dog walking too. Happy Monday.
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    edited...
    Well, long story short, I've been playing again and loving it! So far no injuries or excessive soreness (except for whatever muscles you work when you run sideways!). I'm a lot slower than 24 years ago, but my strokes are pretty much still there. We will see if it works out, but it's fun and a hell of a calorie burn!

Joe, this is great. So glad you have found something that obviously makes you happy. If it is play, it is something you will do and that is the best form of exercise for life. I have a friend who played tennis and skied till she was 88. So you can do that sport a long time!