How low should my carbs be?

Options
loribenfield
loribenfield Posts: 120 Member
I need help with figuring how many carbs a day I should have. Can any one refer me to a website that will help me with that?

Replies

• kiramaniac
    kiramaniac Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    Probably the real question for you is, "what program do I want to follow"? There are a lot of variations of low carb. Some are very low (20 g carbs or below) some are comparatively high (50-100 g carbs). The "rules" differ between programs.

Personally, I'm a keto girl. We follow 20g (net carbs) per day or less.

Reddit has a nice intro here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1aiHSPoto_YqsNTDvL-g60nytMnyH-CJcCbiAx1IEUYM/edit
    And a nice FAQ here: http://www.reddit.com/r/keto/wiki/faq

Good luck!
  • Mistizoom
    Mistizoom Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Right, what's your goal? If you want to be in ketosis, most people need to eat fewer than 50 g carbs/day but some need less. Atkins starts at 20 g carbs/day and builds from there. As Kira says, other plans, like South Beach, are more moderate. I don't follow any particular plan, but I basically do "nutritional ketosis", or LCHF: low carb, high fat, moderate protein (good site for the basics of this is http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf). I usually am between 20-40 g carbs a day (I look at both total carbs and fiber). Very rarely I do go over that a bit. If you don't have a lot of experience with low carb, picking a plan to start with would probably be a good bet.
  • MelMelMiller
    Options
    I'm doing Atkins so I'm at 20 carbs or less per day.
  • lifesigns64
    Options
    I'm trying to stay between 50 and 100, one day a week I go over 100 carbs . . .its hard for me to get under 50 carbs, but I'm ultimatley trying to get to between 50 and 80 a day.
  • mrdexter1
    mrdexter1 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to stay between 50 and 100, one day a week I go over 100 carbs . . .its hard for me to get under 50 carbs, but I'm ultimatley trying to get to between 50 and 80 a day.

some say 50 t0 80 is not a sweet spot or nice place to be...

let us know how you go on !!!
  • GamerGirly
    GamerGirly Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    For me, I hate counting. I dont worry about my calories very much and I could care less about my fat intake (which i want to be high). AGAIN.. I hate counting.. so my carbs are 0. As long as I eat food with 0 carbs.. I am good.

Been in ketosis for months and my ticker reflects my progress :)
  • phyllisann26
    phyllisann26 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    bump
  • MzBeckie
    MzBeckie Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Thanks posting this question! I have always wondered what my carb intake should be. This gives me more of an idea on what to do.
  • yolandaelizabet
    Options
    I started with South Beach program, their phase 1 is very good at getting rid of your sugar&carb cravings. After 4 days on it my cravings were gone. After 2 weeks of phase I I'd lost 3 kilo without ever feeling hungry, dizzy or cranky. So I did 2 more weeks in phase 1 and lost another 3 kilo. That was 2 years ago and I've never put those kilos back on.

Recently I wanted to lose some more weight (just fine tuning now) so I started with the Paleo way of life of low carb and high fat. For me that means 30 gr of carb, 120 gr of fat and 60 gr of protein a day. My sugar intake is 20 gr or less. Myfitnesspal helps with staying on track. I've been on the low carb/high fat thingy for 2 weeks now and lost another 3 kilo. After 2 weeks of high fat I've noticed that I eat less coz I'm simply not that hungry. And, the most important thing of all: I feel great (and look it too).

Hope this helps!
  • fatgimp88
    Options
    I've just started eating low carb and I'm on my 3rd day. Feeling pretty ill and headachey but from what i've read this should be over any day soon? I just wanted to know if you think 35g carbs is low enough because i'm struggling to keep below that, but i will try to stick to 20g tomorrow. The other thing I was wondering is that as I am not overweight, will this diet still work for me? I'm between 5'6 and 5'7, F, and weigh 126-127lbs. I want to lose 7lbs by the end of the month. I do cardio at the gym about 3 times a week, i used to go every day but my working hours now are making it a bit difficult.
    So just to recap...is 35g carbs low enough? Thanks :)
  • kiramaniac
    kiramaniac Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    I've just started eating low carb and I'm on my 3rd day. Feeling pretty ill and headachey but from what i've read this should be over any day soon?

YOU NEED TO SUPPLEMENT SODIUM!!!!

From "The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living" --

Low carb diets are natriuretic - they make the kidneys dump sodium. Sodium deficiency can cause headache, dizziness and fatigue. With continued low carb intake and sodium restriction, at some point your kidneys start to excrete potassium in order to conserve sodium. Potassium deficiency can lead to muscle cramps, cardiac dysrythmia. it can also cause the body to lose muscle, even when there's plenty of protein in the diet.

On low carb, we should consume 3-5 g sodium per day. Broth is the easiest solution. I also like Saltstick, which are capsules with Sodium, Potassium and Magnesium in the proportion you lose during exercise.
  • sydneyplainjane
    sydneyplainjane Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I've just started eating low carb and I'm on my 3rd day. Feeling pretty ill and headachey but from what i've read this should be over any day soon?

YOU NEED TO SUPPLEMENT SODIUM!!!!

From "The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living" --

Low carb diets are natriuretic - they make the kidneys dump sodium. Sodium deficiency can cause headache, dizziness and fatigue. With continued low carb intake and sodium restriction, at some point your kidneys start to excrete potassium in order to conserve sodium. Potassium deficiency can lead to muscle cramps, cardiac dysrythmia. it can also cause the body to lose muscle, even when there's plenty of protein in the diet.

On low carb, we should consume 3-5 g sodium per day. Broth is the easiest solution. I also like Saltstick, which are capsules with Sodium, Potassium and Magnesium in the proportion you lose during exercise.

Wow, I never knew this! Makes sense, though. For some reason I used to like to suck on salty things, like olives, when I've low carbed in the past, and sometimes I would just want to sprinkle a little salt on the palm of my hand and lick it off. Now I know why!
  • Binkie1955
    Binkie1955 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/

this one is useful for me. try it. lot of low carber's on MFP use this one.
  • fatgimp88
    Options
    Thanks for the advice guys x
  • jen_zz
    jen_zz Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    Just joined this group. Very interesting threads and I'm learning a lot. Does anyone here eat OStrim jerkees? They are high protein and low carb and pretty high in sodium. Would this be a good choice as part of a meal or as a snack?
  • suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    I eat them occasionally - great high protein snacks, and pretty tasty too!
  • christineellis
    christineellis Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    For me, I hate counting. I dont worry about my calories very much and I could care less about my fat intake (which i want to be high). AGAIN.. I hate counting.. so my carbs are 0. As long as I eat food with 0 carbs.. I am good.

Been in ketosis for months and my ticker reflects my progress :)

I am interested in how you feel maintaining 0 carbs? How long do you plan to keep doing it?

Anyone else in this same zero carb category???

Thanks!
  • Binkie1955
    Binkie1955 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/
    you asked for a website here's one I use.
  • SOOZIE429
    SOOZIE429 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    I think everyone is different. For me I'm finding lower carb and much higher fat, like 80% works best. You need to start somewhere and go from there.
  • SOOZIE429
    SOOZIE429 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    Just joined this group. Very interesting threads and I'm learning a lot. Does anyone here eat OStrim jerkees? They are high protein and low carb and pretty high in sodium. Would this be a good choice as part of a meal or as a snack?

Sure, why not?