Cheap recipes??

Options
MrsYoungIII
MrsYoungIII Posts: 41 Member
My family like a lot of families is very tight finacially. Like really really tight. Like I need to feed 4 ppl for 7 days with sometimes less then $100. We mainly shop Price Rite or Save Alot. It's really embarrassing to post this but I don't know when we'll get out of this rut and until I can lower my depression and get healthy to help me become "stable" we're stuck.

Replies

• back2happy2005
    back2happy2005 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    My family is in the same boat. A few things that are always on my shopping list are a whole chicken and pork roast. I throw these in the crock pot so they are done when I get home from work. I use the meat for dinner that night then divide up the left overs to use for additional meals. For the chicken we will have roast chicken dinner the first night then if there is enough left I will divide up in as many separate containers to freeze as I can. I can add BBQ sauce to one, taco seasoning to another or ranch and red hot for Buffalo wraps. I also will leave one plain to use in a stir-fry and add store bought sauce to put over with rice and frozen veggies, or to make soup with. I do the same with the pork roast. This helps a lot and I have premade dinners in the freezer for easy dinners during the week when things are busy.
  • MrsYoungIII
    Options
    Thanks! I use my crock pot a lot too. I just wish all the meals in my crock pot recipe book told me calories and stuff.
  • alzogirl
    Options
    Dried beans are cheap and are very versatile. As for the whole chicken mentioned below, you can use the carcass to make a soup stock. Just add a carrot, celery and onion along with spices you have on hand and simmer till flavors combine. Drain the stock, discard the veggies and pick of any chicken left on the bones and return to the stock. Now you can add some veggies you may have, rice, pasta, beans ... use anything you have at home. Always shop sales! Good luck to you.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    I will leave you to research the recipes on skinnytaste, but here is a break down of what your grocery bill could be if you plan right.

Monday: Spinach and Cheese Stuffed Shells (serves 9 with three shells each) $15.70 initial buy
    - 1 pack frozen chopped spinach ($1)
    - 1 large onion ($0.70)
    - 2 cloves of garlic (one head of garlic $0.50)
    - 1 tsp olive oil
    - 1 28 oz cruched tomatoes ($1)
    - 1 Tbsp chopped basil ($2 for a pack)
    - 1 15 oz container of ricotta ($3)
    - 1 cup of shredded mozzarella cheese, part skim ($3 for a pack)
    -1 egg ($1.50 for a cartoon of medium eggs)
    - 1/4 cup parmesan grated parm ($3 a container)

Tuesday: Turkey "Parm" Burgers (serves 4) $11
    - 1 4 pack of Turkey patties or 1 lb of ground turkey ($6)
    - 4 oz shredded mozzarella (Have some left over from last night $0)
    - 4 tbsp spaghetti sauce ($2)
    - 4 Whole Wheat hamburger buns ($3)

Wednesday: Sloppy Joes $13.50
    - 1 lb Italian sausage ($4)
    - 1/2 cup onion (left over from Monday)
    - 3 garlic cloves (left over from head of garlic)
    - 2 green peppers ($1.50)
    - 1 14 oz can crushed tomatoes ($1)
    - 1/2 tsp dried rosemary ($3 for jar)
    - 4 hamburger buns (left over)
    - 4 slices cheese ($2)
    - 1 cup baby spinach ($2 for a salad pack)

Thursday: Left over night! What ever left overs you have you eat up tonight! If there are no left overs then Breakfast nightt! $8.50
    - 8 eggs (already bought the cartoon)
    - Bacon or sausage ($5 assuming bacon)
    - Sliced bread ($2)
    - Strawberries ($1.50 for a carton at Krogers right now)

Friday: Pizza night! $5
    - 4 whole wheat tortillas ($3 for a pack)
    - left over Shredded Mozzarella
    - left over spaghetti sauce
    - Mini pepperonis ($2)

Saturday: Italian grilled chicken with grilled marinated veggies! $23.40
    - 8 4 oz chicken breasts (4 being saved for tomorrow after gilled) ($12)
    - 1 bottle italian dressing ($2)
    - 1 pack mini peppers ($5)
    - 2 onions ($1.40)
    - prepackages lower sodium marinade of your choice (usually about $3)

Sunday: Salad night! $9.00
    - Left over grilled chicken
    - Baby Spring Salad Mix ($4 for a huge tub)
    - Salad dressing
    -Carrots ($1)
    - Radishes ($1)
    - Salad dressing ($3)

That comes to about $86 for the dinners, assuming that you need to buy everything already. But if you already have the herbs, or the spaghetti sauce or the salad dressings then it makes it even cheaper. For breakfasts do cereals (get the bagged ones, they are cheaper), oatmeal, etc... And lunches can peanut butter sandwiches, or lunch meat sandwiches, with fruit and a cookie or two.

All the prices are based on Kroger prices, so depending on where you shop it could end up being even cheaper.
  • MrsYoungIII
    Options
    Thank you!!
  • struggeling53
    struggeling53 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I go on a site that's called freecycle, google it for the town you live in. This time of year lots of people may have extra fruit on their trees or veggies in there garden,. Can them, freeze them, dry them. It really helps. Good luck
  • teerandell
    Options
    These are great ideas, thanks for sharing!
  • margarethepburn1
    Options
    I cant believe someone would be so kind as to write out prices and a menu well done
    :flowerforyou:
  • MacroMiranda
    MacroMiranda Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Awesome breakdown, rduhlir! I really want to try the spinach and cheese stuffed shells.
  • bunkahes
    bunkahes Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I live in low income housing and i get food stamps and its hard survive off the little food stamps that they give us. So i agree its tough. I grew up on left over or must go. I grew up on alot alot of pasta. Buy in bulk if you can, the roast is always good. And many options. I would go back to basics, and just potion it out.
  • jillsjourney
    jillsjourney Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    budgetbytes is awesome. It has changed the way we eat at great prices. You have to check it out!!

http://www.budgetbytes.com/
  • renatewolfe
    renatewolfe Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I use my crock pot a lot too. I just wish all the meals in my crock pot recipe book told me calories and stuff.
  • renatewolfe
    Options
    Go under the recipes tab and use the recipe calculator to figure calories and stuff. Works great!
  • renatewolfe
    Options
    15 bean soup with lean ham is awesome and inexpensive. Serve it with carrot, cucumber and green pepper strips for a delicious, healthy, low fat and ridiculously cheap meal. You can use those 15 bean soup bags at the grocery, or navy beans too. This also freezes well, so you can make extra and freeze for later.

One of my favorite, cheap, quick and relatively healthy meals is Zatarain's New Orleans Style Jambala. (I use Aldi's or whatever generic brand I can find). I chop an onion, a carrot, a celery stalk, 2 cloves of garlic, and a pepper if I have it, finely, sauté them in a little olive or canola oil (you could "sweat" them in water instead) until they are tender, and add them, and meat and cook according to directions.. You can use whatever you have on hand. I have used left over chicken, lean ground beef or turkey, or lean smoked turkey sausage. It's quick, cheap, tasty and filling. I serve it with raw veggies.

When my kids were home, I used to make and freeze chili for the winter. Chili is so yummy on cold nights and you can make it healthy and still tasty! It's another thing that lends itself to being served with raw veggies. The kids can did their carrot sticks or pepper strips in the chili!
  • finch_zero
    finch_zero Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I live in the UK so the descriptions made be wrong but here goes.
    I have 3 hungry teenagers to feed.
    Sometimes I just get 2 tins of chopped tomatoes. Different root vegetables ( carrots, turnip, swede, parsnips), onions any vegetables you like. Chop them all up put them into my "slow cooker"/ crock pot? with vegetable stock to cover, switch on low and leave all day to cook. 3/4 of an hour before you want to eat make suet dumplings put on top of vegetables turn up to med heat and wait. The family can eat the dumplings you can eat the soup.
    If you want the soup thicker, make the day before, when soup has cooled, blitz for a while in the blender, I generally blitz half and leave half then you get a thicker lumpy style soup. Store in fridge until next day. As each person comes home a portion can be heated in the microwave or I just put the whole lot back into a saucepan and reheat well.
    We like it in the winter, it's good to come home knowing something hot is not far away.
  • Gidzmo
    Gidzmo Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    My family like a lot of families is very tight finacially. Like really really tight. Like I need to feed 4 ppl for 7 days with sometimes less then $100. We mainly shop Price Rite or Save Alot. It's really embarrassing to post this but I don't know when we'll get out of this rut and until I can lower my depression and get healthy to help me become "stable" we're stuck.

First, don't be embarrassed. :wink: Many of us are in the same place for assorted reasons.

Pasta and rice can go a fairly long way. I sometimes use ramen noodles (I can get a six-pack of ramen noodles for about a dollar. Don't use the seasoning packet, as it's loaded with sodium). You can add veggies or other leftovers.

A website I recommend is www.livingonadime.com. One of the founders is dealing with fibromyalgia and is homeschooling her children. The site goes into many things, including food and recipes.

Sometimes I look at the clearance rack at the store (they usually hide it in the back). You can get some things at half- or quarter-price.

Coupons can be helpful, too (just check the dates and the store policy).

Can you grow anything at home? Maybe start a small garden, even if you grow things in a container (the gardening might be helpful with the depression, too).
  • Dottyb1940
    Dottyb1940 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Nice menus and cheap,
  • cacklingcat
    cacklingcat Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Nice :drinker:
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Also....if you have ethnic food places get stuff there.

For example, there is a huge Asian Foods market here and a pretty good sized Mexican foods market. I get black beans and kidney beans in bulk and cook up over the weekend then freeze. I just even 2 cups out in medium sized ziploc bags, and then put together in a large freezer bag. They last for a good while int he freezer. And 2 cups is about the average can size. But if you need the convinence (sounds like convinence is up your alley with the kiddos lol) then the dollar stores are great for canned goods. Or buy the Great Value ones at Walmart. If you end up having to get the higher sodium stuff just cut the added salt out and it will balance.

Be a hawk eye to the local ads, and don't be afraid to shop around for the food if you need to. Sometimes I end up going to different places in a grocery run just because the prices are better. Base the menu off the weekly ads.
  • brraanndi
    brraanndi Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    This website is a lifesaver for cheap recipes and whatnot -
    http://www.hillbillyhousewife.com/category/recipes

I have found stuff beyond cheap to make during those weeks where I'm running short.