Sick of meat

Options
Flmommy1
Flmommy1 Posts: 67 Member
Trust me I am a paleo believer. I am not here to cause a ruckus. I have never been a big meat lover and in an effect to improve my health turned to this lifestyle. I do feel better it is just hard for me because I really don't love meat. I have been eating eggs for breakfast and fish for lunch and red meat or chicken for supper for variety. I am wondering if there is anyone else on this board who struggles with this or if you all are meat lovers!

Replies

• ShannonKirton
    ShannonKirton Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Personally, I'm a meat lover. I vary between pork, lamb, chicken and fish. Beef makes an occasional appearance but not that often. I think most others are also addicted to bacon (as am I) but I'll let them speak for themselves! :)
  • Nicole9187
    Nicole9187 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I am very sick of it!! I have been a vegetarian for years-all because I do not like the taste/texture of meats. I switched about a month ago due to dr. recommendations. I'm really struggling. I have been eating salmon/applegate farms turkey/bacon/and lots of eggs. I got to the point over the weekend where I thought I could not stand to eat another egg. It's hard but I'm pushing through.
  • Rei1988
    Rei1988 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Maybe trying more types of cuisine could spice things up a bit? Spice... ya get it? ha
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    I am definitely a meat lover, but I also only eat 6-8 ounces per day. I eat a diet high in fat so I don't need large volumes of food. I could never get sick of meat. That said, I agree that you need more variety. Try different meat from all kinds of animals, try different cuts and organ meat. Try bone marrow and broth. Try different recipes and spices.

I have tried more kinds of meat than I can list here. Variety is the spice of life... if you are bored. For me, I could eat blue steak every single day and NEVER EVER get tired of it. (Gah, you just made me salivate!)
  • momof2osaurus
    momof2osaurus Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I get sick of it every couple of weeks, yep! I was nearly a vegetarian before I switched to paleo, so eating this much meat is not my norm. Grassfed beef is the only beef I like the taste of, so buying that helps a lot.
  • spirit80
    spirit80 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Can never get sick of meat... Could live on bacon alone. Like my fish also. What a great lifestyle.
  • mmipanda
    mmipanda Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    not at all, but I'm dead sick of eggs :laugh:
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    Then mix up your meat sources, flavour your meat sources up some more, or eat less meat- more eggs, potatoes, fruit, etc.
  • Flmommy1
    Flmommy1 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Thanks for listening. Glad to know I am not alone. I wish I LOVED meat. I also used to be a vegetarian and am so surprised how many others came to paleo from a vege lifestyle.
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    I can't imagine ever being tired of eating meat!
  • pattyproulx
    pattyproulx Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    I have the opposite problem - I love meat too much. And it's expensive. I also feel the treatment of animals in factory farms is deplorable, and by eating as much conventional meat as I do, I feel I'm supporting it.

So I'm trying to fit in more veggies and cut down on my meat eating as well. I'm also trying to limit my meat to traditionally raised or organic.
  • TriLifter
    TriLifter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Wow, +1 here for a reformed vegetarian LMAO!
  • husseycd
    husseycd Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I have the opposite problem - I love meat too much. And it's expensive. I also feel the treatment of animals in factory farms is deplorable, and by eating as much conventional meat as I do, I feel I'm supporting it.

So I'm trying to fit in more veggies and cut down on my meat eating as well. I'm also trying to limit my meat to traditionally raised or organic.

It's definitely a hard balance. Besides their treatment, raising animals for meat is also such a huge source of pollution. I'm fully convinced this diet is great for our bodies. Maybe not so much for the planet. The animals might have something to say about it too. :smile:
  • Quinnstinct
    Quinnstinct Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Sometimes when I get sick of meat I make a soup or stew where it's somewhat disguised and in a different form. Or I try a recipe with sauce. I love meat but I understand feeling sick of it from time to time.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options

It's definitely a hard balance. Besides their treatment, raising animals for meat is also such a huge source of pollution. I'm fully convinced this diet is great for our bodies. Maybe not so much for the planet. The animals might have something to say about it too. :smile:

Raising animals in a CAFO, while the grain is grown without animals is certainly an unsustainable way to produce food. However, animals allowed to graze on grass are not a source of pollution (if you take the complete nutrient cycle into account), and they fertilize the ground (with poop or by dying), providing nutrients to soil bacteria, which allows more plant growth, which feeds more animals... you get the idea. Grains grown in the absence of animals requires a huge amount of petroleum products for fertilizer and pesticides. Synthetic fertilizers and pesticides definitely pollute, but worse, soil organisms die, and thousands of years of topsoil can be lost in an instant.

There is nothing unethical about raising farm animals when they are allowed to graze and fertilize the soil. It's a win win. Things are messed up now because humans now want to work against nature and the nutrient cycle and instead rely on petroleum products (who makes those?) to produce all of our food. That's the problem.
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    nope, never sick of meat....LOVE ..I actually crave it
  • kkerri
    kkerri Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I am struggling with the meat.

I was a vegetarian or vegan for the better part of the last 13 years. However, I have some autoimmune stuff going on, so I am looking change up my diet.

I am making sure that I eat organic, free range meat, but I know it's going to be hard for me. I am on day 4 and doing okay, lol.