New to Primal and muscle fatigue....

Options
nellyett
nellyett Posts: 436 Member
Hi All!

My husband and I started the Primal Blueprint 21 Day Transformation on August 27th and we are both sold on this as a way of life!

I've been doing as much research as I can, and am curious if anyone had the same issues that I'm having now and how long it had lasted for you. I know that overall I feel much better, I'm feeding my body what it truly needs, and have curbed my massive sugar cravings which I am thankful for!

Since starting PB, I haven't been able to complete any of the 3 5km runs that I've been out for, having to stop at about the 1 1/2 mile mark and walk / interval sprint the rest. I also do kickboxing a couple of times per week and have felt that I'm not able to keep up with my usual intensity. I also throw in some weights here and there, but haven't been able to get to those as often as I like.

I know that there is an adjustment period, but I'm curious to see how long it's taken for most? Thanks so much in advance!

Replies

• rotnkat
    rotnkat Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Yep that's normal when you stop consuming garbage!!!

It took about two weeks for me to get over the carb flu (as some like to call it), but you could possibly get over it in a few days or maybe longer. YMMV (your mileage may vary).

Welcome to the group!!!!

Anita
  • nellyett
    Options
    Thanks for your reply!

I actually just got back from a kickboxing class and am relieved to find that I had noticeably more energy than I have had in any other workout since starting PB.

Thanks for the welcome too....my girlfriend had gone Paleo for a short time about a year ago and said she had never felt better when eating like that. I had never considered it as I believe cutting out dairy completely would be too 'restrictive' for me and set me up for failure. This is also the reason she is no longer following a paleo lifestyle. However, finding my way to Primal Blueprint has been a life changer for me! I'm happy to know that there are knowledgeable and helpful people to support newbies like me :)

Nikki
  • strychnine7
    strychnine7 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Recently, as a part of my endless ****ing-around with my diet, I suffered general fatigue and degraded exercise performance.

What did I change this time? Well, two things: I had been on a large caloric deficit (save for the sporadic binges, undoubtedly brought on by that very deficit) and, what I believe to be the most direct culprit, a deficient protein-intake. These last couple weeks, increasing my meat-intake to my historic norms (around two pounds a day), I feel a lot less lethargic and have had a better 'lifting experience.

So, I say protein, but since I can't see your food log, I have no idea if that's an issue for you, or not.
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    I think it took me about a week to adjust. Getting enough protein has been really important for my energy levels and my ability to recover from my workouts. That said, I don't do endurance sports. I lift weights, train with kettlebells, and I walk a lot.

I've also found it important to make sure I'm eating a bit more carbohydrate (usually in the form of sweet potato) the night before I have a brutal workout the following morning.
  • nellyett
    Options
    Ooops, sorry about that. Thought my diary was public. Is now....I'll bet you're right. I struggle with protein, especially now that I'm trying to avoid processed products.

I'm currently set at 15%c / 60%f / 25%p

I wasn't really sure what my macros should be and these numbers seemed to be about the average of most I've seen and will tweak from there. I struggle to get to the 25% most days unfortunately...I love meat, but not in abundance....perhaps this will change as time goes on. :)
  • CajunTexan33
    CajunTexan33 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I love eggwhite omlettes ..I sautee a pan full of kale, green pepper, mushrooms, onions and freash jalepeno and throw liquid egg whites on top. (not egg beaters that crap has chemicals and coloring added). I also love individually packaged tilapis from and grocery store..easy to thaw and cook for lean protein on top of a salad! I also do an apple with natural almond butter as a snack, and the sweet potato thing really helps. Not sure if you do protein shakes, but I use a Paleo protein powder with almond mik mixed w forzen fruit every morning! I am not really a meat eater myself.. but those are some options for you.
  • nellyett
    Options
    that's great, thanks for the ideas! I've found that the more prepared I am for the week, the easier it is to follow.....trying new recipes is helping a lot too! :)