Eye openers

Options
2»

Replies

• Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I never was really big on bread and pasta. they were just thing that carry my meat ;) Oatmeal was a big eye opener for me. I live on a cold climate with 8 months long winter and having the warm expanding meal in the morning before going out was really comforting. I have been experimenting with paleo(primal ) lifestyle for a while, but never made it through the winter. Having a fresh cold crunchy salad when you are cold to your bones is just not that appealing. I am already afraid whether I give up again during the winter month. During the coldest months I used to eat oatmeal every mornig and thick soup with noodles and or potato every day ,and often dinner was hot stew with rice.

I just got the paleo slow cooker recipe book, and I hope I find enough hot comforting meals for the winter. If I can make it through the winter, I can do it forever.

Squash
    Meat and veggie soups and stews. Slow cookers rock.
    Mashed sweet potato (or, if you're not opposed to it, regular potato)
    Squash
    Bacon and eggs for breakfasts
    Did I mention squash?

http://paleoparents.com/featured/winter-is-coming/

Paleo is not all salads.
  • redheadmommy
    redheadmommy Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    I already started on experimenting with all kind of squash. I hated squash when I grew up, and I just never bought any since I am an adult. Last month I had great experience with spaghetti squash and i can see it as staple carrying stew, which s one of the most common dinner for us in the winter. I made hash from winter squash, and it was acceptable. Probably no more than once a month though.
    I also have a hard time catering my paleo plans around my nonpaleo husband and a picky kid. They do mind the meat and veggies , but they need their white carb on the side.oh we'll it may change over time.
  • EchoDelta1013
    EchoDelta1013 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Actually there was no food whichI already knew about the carb content. That's because I'm diabetic. But knowing and doing something about it were two different things. I stopped eating the high carb foods in August of last year because I was tired of diabetes controlling me. I only found out there was a name for this type of eating about 3 months later.