Hashimoto and bone problems

Options
I have Hashi's. I have recently had a pretty detailed blood check done and one of the things that caught my attention ( not my doctor's ) was elevated levels of a protein called Osteocalcin. The upper limit for a pre-menopausal woman is around 8, I have 24 - like a teenager going thru a growth spurt. I thought it had something to do with the fact that I was Vit. D deficient, but now my levels are back within a normal range ( I supplemented with 1000 iU of Vit D for the last 6 months ) and said Osteocalcin levels did not change. My Calcium levels are normal as well.
Has any of you experienced something like that? Does it have anything to do with Hashi's? ( one article I found stated that high levels were usually observed if you were hyper, I'm definitely not ).

Replies

• survivor1952
    survivor1952 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I too have Hashi's. I have never heard of this before & do not know anything about it.If the levels are elevated as your are, do you know what, if any, symptoms this will show as? I have been experiencing unexplained pain in my feet over the last few months. Fells like I have hundreds of broken bones on the tops of my feet. I plan on asking endo about it next month. I think too many symptoms get written off to "oh its just arthritis".

I have bloodwork coming up in a few weeks & I certainly will look at my results and see if mine lists these levels. Isn't it scary what the drs. do not explain to you or even overlook? We as patients have to remain ever vigilent & look out for ourselves!

Thanks for the info.
  • kcvance
    kcvance Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I had a friend who had this issue as well (at a young age). She had a Vitamin K deficiency...

http://blogs.webmd.com/integrative-medicine-wellness/2007/11/vitamin-k-keeping-calcium-in-your-bones-and-out-of-your-blood-vessels.html

Did they test your vitamin levels?
  • allergictodiets
    allergictodiets Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    @kcvance - thanks. I will wait and see then, maybe it takes a bit of time after your Vit D levels are back to normal before this osteocalcin stabilizes as well.