Question for Teachers?

Options
Alex729
Alex729 Posts: 103 Member
I am starting the journey towards WLS and I am hoping for a date next spring. I teach high school juniors and seniors and I was originally thinking about not telling about my WLS, but I'm pretty sure they'd figure it out sooner than later. I planned on telling my co-workers that I would be out on medical leave and I would address their individual questions IF they asked.

Teachers, did you tell your students about your WLS?

Replies

• 13turtles
    13turtles Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    For me, I went about it a sneaky way. I don’t feel that everyone needs to know about my health issues and my choice to have surgery. So, since I was having a hernia repaired at the same time, I simply told students and coworkers that this was the reason I was going out for surgery. I explained that I would be on a modified diet prior to surgery since my doctor needed my stomach clear for the surgery. I also told them that I would be gradually adding back foods as my stomach healed, but I had been told it could take up to 3 months for me to be able to eat as the organs healed. I was blessed that my surgery happened the week before the Winter Break, so I was off for nine days, but in total was out for just over three weeks with the break. By the time I came back, I had dropped 25 pounds, and people did notice, but I would say that it was because I could only have liquids for most of the time I was gone and they hadn’t seen me for a few weeks. Really, no one has ever questioned or commented other than to say that I look really good. When I did get back, I stressed that I was exercising more and watching my diet as I healed, and people just took it at face value. They could see that I was exercising, and that I still exercise.

Personally, I would not change what I did and would do it again the same way. I didn’t want to feel that students and coworkers were watching to see how much I lost, or put them in a position where they would question what I was eating. I don’t know about your school, but most take on the social level of the grades taught, and I work in a middle school! =) It also helped that I wore clothing that was a little loose through the end of the school year, and did not replace my clothes for work until the start of this year. When I came back to school, people commented again, but I said my hard work and dedication at the gym really paid off!

In other areas of my life, friends and family, I did tell them what I was doing and why. The only person at school who is aware is the school nurse, and that is because if something were to happen to me at school she needs to know that I can’t have NSAIDS or a NG tube. I do wear a medical id bracelet, but no one has asked about that either. Good luck on your journey!
  • soapboxermel
    soapboxermel Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I was a software consultant when I had mine done 10 years ago and I let my coworkers know what was going on, but not my clients. Eventually, the change was so stark that a couple of them asked me how I lost the weight. At that point I told them that I was really sick at my heavy weight and so gastric bypass was my best option.

Now that I'm an educator, I think I would use it as an opportunity to explore what self-care means and the many ways to developing healthier-for-you habits. I bet you'd get a lot more support than you imagine. Good luck!
  • risskie
    risskie Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    All of my fellow teachers knew about my surgery. They were all a huge support :drinker: and loved telling me how 'great' I looked as I began dropping the pounds. They were always checking in, asking me the 'pounds count' and smiling at my achievement. I appreciated their support - I'm sure the same would happen with you.
    I teach elementary special education - so only the parents of my kids noticed. I said nothing to my kiddos.
  • Agate69
    Agate69 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    The only ones that ever asked were co-workers that need to lose a lot of weight. We shall see comments are after having excess skin removal..... but it has been over two years. As for the junior high students, they are too self absorbed to ask..... However parents of overweight junior high have asked and I recommend they consult their doctor for food and exercise changes!
  • Alex729
    Alex729 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your input! I still have a few months before I decide how I'm going to approach this, but it helps knowing how other people handled their situations.

I will keep you posted.