newbie here

Options
Ok. I done Atkins years ago and did ok but you know how it goes, if you don't actually accept it as a lifestyle you just fail!!

Now I have been reading about keto diets and seizures. Meds have not worked and right now they have just up to the highest dose and if it doesn't work then the fun part of changing medicines begins....

We are on a very limited income so I have just been reading, reading and reading trying to figure all of this out. I have read that some people see relief with a modified atkins diet to help with seizures but no where can I find what the modified atkins diet is...

I am happy to be somewhere that people are not going to tell me I am crazy. I understand the meds may not be stopped but if the seizures stop with the meds b/c of diet I will be happy because nothing has worked so far.

I would love to have some friends that share their diaries that I can get ideas from. My diary is open but I haven't posted in it for awhile. Making my list, checking it twice and going shopping tomorrow to change my eating!!!

Replies

• Rei1988
    Rei1988 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    why haven't your doctors put you on a ketogenic diet?
  • kiramaniac
    kiramaniac Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    Please discuss with your doctor. Using ketogenic diet for seizures should be done while under a doctor's care and guidance. My cousin's daughter is on this diet for her seizures - but it's quite different from what I follow for keto. Her medication is also carefully monitored.

If your doctor isn't open and isn't up on the use of the diet for treatment, I strongly suggest seeing another doctor. The ketogenic diet came about as a treatment for seizures in the first place, and was replaced by drug treatment options (which were never shown to be more effective).

Again, please discuss with a medical professional for the appropriate regimen for someone in your situation.
  • enam_frist
    Options
    It is not my doctor. It is the lack of funds without insurance to pay for the nutritionist part. Blood work was taken and will be taken again when I return to monitor levels of the medicine and the doctor said kidneys and liver. I have ready removed some stuff from diet like diet drinks etc and seen a difference. I am sure I will not do it as strict as if I had the nutritionist but I am almost 300 lbs so I could use the weight loss... Thank you!!
  • enam_frist
    Options
    i saw that book and that is only available by download. I am sort of hesitant about it... but I am not sure why.