Training Plan

Options
tempest501
tempest501 Posts: 329 Member
Hi guys,

I have been running a fully body training program which you guys recommend. The one where you start at 8 reps per exercise and move up one rep a week till 12 then up weight by 10%.

I have enjoyed it alot and seen my strength come on quite well but I am now starting to get a little bored and was thinking of trying a 3 day split for a for maybe 12 weeks then change back. Trying to keep it fresh so I don't lose motivation etc.

My question was if I do this what would you recommend and what should I do to keep progressing the weight? or should I use the same rep system but just do a 3 day split? Also should I do push days and pull days or chest/arms etc.

Thank you in advance.

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I am not a fan of three day splits as you are only hitting each body part 1 x a week (unless you do them twice in a week). Would you be able to do 4 workouts a week or is three the max?

Are you cutting, maintaining or bulking at the moment?

What are your goals?
  • tempest501
    Options
    Been dieting for a long time now and I am happy with the way I look right now. So my plan was to slowly work back upto 2000 cal per day and if my weight stays stable try and bulk up a bit.

I would love to train 4 days but at the moment my job is limiting my training days, the only way I could do this if did say wed and then fri,sat and sunday.

Personally I feel I am at a place where I want to bulk a bit but I want to take my time as don't want to pile the weight on as I can put it on quite easy which may be a result of dieting for so long I guess.
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    Hey Sara, hope you don't mind if I offer my 2c in this one.

The psychological aspect of training does play a part. I'll admit I don't like training full body where each workout is the same and there is little variation, you do need to change up your program from time to time.

IMO, a big part of the decision should be based around where your lifts are at now, and how quickly you are seeing progress. If you are still at beginner/intermediate level then strength gains should still come fairly rapidly and more volume is generally advisable to provide as much stimulation as possible.

If you are a little further along the curve then perhaps you could look at something like 5/3/1 with bodybuilder accessory work. I personally tried this type of program too early and figured out I can still progress faster on a higher volume program - even while on a prolonged caloric deficit.

The middle of the road option would be a two day split so if you're training three days per week, you would be doing each workout 3 times over a fortnight. Some do this as an upper/lower or push/pull. Something like a 5X5 program with a decent amount of accessory work focused on hypertrophy could be an option. I'm a fan of combining strength and hypertrophy rather than focusing solely on one at a time.

I'm on something close to Jason Blaha's (Icecream fitness) beginners program. He calls it a beginner program but there is enough scope to tweak the program to suit your own goals. It is like a tweaked Stronglifts program with lots of accessory work. Close to a full body workout but different emphasis on workout A and workout B so not every workout is the same. This might be something to have a look at.
  • tempest501
    Options
    Hey Sara, hope you don't mind if I offer my 2c in this one.

The psychological aspect of training does play a part. I'll admit I don't like training full body where each workout is the same and there is little variation, you do need to change up your program from time to time.

IMO, a big part of the decision should be based around where your lifts are at now, and how quickly you are seeing progress. If you are still at beginner/intermediate level then strength gains should still come fairly rapidly and more volume is generally advisable to provide as much stimulation as possible.

If you are a little further along the curve then perhaps you could look at something like 5/3/1 with bodybuilder accessory work. I personally tried this type of program too early and figured out I can still progress faster on a higher volume program - even while on a prolonged caloric deficit.

The middle of the road option would be a two day split so if you're training three days per week, you would be doing each workout 3 times over a fortnight. Some do this as an upper/lower or push/pull. Something like a 5X5 program with a decent amount of accessory work focused on hypertrophy could be an option. I'm a fan of combining strength and hypertrophy rather than focusing solely on one at a time.

I'm on something close to Jason Blaha's (Icecream fitness) beginners program. He calls it a beginner program but there is enough scope to tweak the program to suit your own goals. It is like a tweaked Stronglifts program with lots of accessory work. Close to a full body workout but different emphasis on workout A and workout B so not every workout is the same. This might be something to have a look at.

Ty I will look it up.

I think the main thing has been that I am just getting less focused as I have got bored with the workout. I think if I did a cycle of something different I may go back as have had good results strength wise. I have been lifting for about a year now so not sure if I am still classes as a beginner or not.

Also, I don't really get that achey anymore from full body so as i was bored i thought I could hit a group harder and it would be more effective?

Also I wanted to ask if I did change it up do I keep following the increase 1 rep per week from 8-12 then up weight on other programs? It is now getting to point on some lifts where str increase is starting to slow down but I wondered if I upped cals str might start moving up quicker again as been on 1680 for quite a long time. Just upped to1800 and gonna shoot for 2000 within 4-5 weeks.
  • tempest501
    Options
    bump
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    It sounds as if a 3 x a week would be better. I would suggest moving to SL while you are reversing up and then possibly moving to a 3 x 5 when bulking so you have more time per workout to add hypertrophy range work in. This should give you more variety with the lifts.

You will find your strength increases when you up your calories - they are/were pretty low so moar food will help.

Let us know your thoughts and we can come up with a suggestion for you.
  • tempest501
    Options
    Sounds good. When it come to increasing weight do I just add every week and see if I can do it? Also could you give an example of these kind of systems or a link?

The only exercise I have been avoiding is deadliest and heavy squats because of a back condition. I still try do the Bulgarian squats as these don't bother my back as much and if I can't get a bench . Do extra on leg press but . Don't lift to heavy as don't want to mess back up, instead I try focus on doing the exercise slowly.
  • tempest501
    Options
    Sorry replied on my phone it should have read deadlifts lol
  • tempest501
    Options
    I also wanted to ask how protein I should try and eat. Currently, try to aim for 150g and I weigh around 160-165.
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    That's a decent number, 1g of protein for each lb of body weight is a decent rule of thumb. Your macros as you have them setup in your diary at the moment look pretty solid.