Macros and Paleo/Primal?

Options
2»

Replies

• Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Almost no fruit and fewer vegetables. The veggies that are included are powerhouse and low(ish) carb ones. Meats and fats are a giant staple, and nearly all parts of the animal are consumed (bones are used to make broth, fat, organs, etc).

Also, 10% isn't necessarily low. At 2000 calories, 10% comes out to 50g, which is just barely ketosis levels, for example.

Still adjusting to this level of carbs - not sure I am ready to jump to ketosis.

So do you count net carbs, or in this case a carb is a carb regardless if its fiber?

For counting purposes, I just go by total number of carbs, mainly because it's easier. In the vast majority of foods, the fiber content is only going to be a small fraction of the total amount of carbs such that it's pretty negligible. I'm also the type that is prone to using things like that as an excuse to eat more carbs, which leads me to more cravings and whatnot. I also don't bother trying to hit any kind of fiber goal, the fiber I get is what I get, and as long as it doesn't affect the movement of everything, I'm okay with the amount I get.

Like Shadowknight, I don't get hung up on the percentages and meeting them exactly. Carbs are a maximum for me, protein is a "ideally hit right around it, but not a big deal if you're over or under," and fat is largely a minimum. My numbers are also based on grams, instead of percentages. So, I aim for under 100g of carbs (a combination of Mark Sisson's carb curve, and my own experimentation with how I feel, working to bring it down at least under 75g and possibly even lower due to metabolic/endocrine issues), 126g of protein (I lift and practice martial arts, so I need protein closer to 1g/pound of LBM, which is where that number comes from), and the rest is fat, which comes out to 123g or 55%. The actual numbers vary, though. For example, I went quite a bit over fat and was quite a ways under carbs and somewhat under protein, I ended up with 11%c/19%p/70%f instead of my usual 20c/25p/55f.

You'll find it's a lot easier to maintain a fewer amount of carbs once you get past the fat-phobia and start eating more fat, as well.
  • ShannonKirton
    ShannonKirton Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    For counting purposes, I just go by total number of carbs, mainly because it's easier. In the vast majority of foods, the fiber content is only going to be a small fraction of the total amount of carbs such that it's pretty negligible. I'm also the type that is prone to using things like that as an excuse to eat more carbs, which leads me to more cravings and whatnot. I also don't bother trying to hit any kind of fiber goal, the fiber I get is what I get, and as long as it doesn't affect the movement of everything, I'm okay with the amount I get.

Like Shadowknight, I don't get hung up on the percentages and meeting them exactly. Carbs are a maximum for me, protein is a "ideally hit right around it, but not a big deal if you're over or under," and fat is largely a minimum. My numbers are also based on grams, instead of percentages.

You'll find it's a lot easier to maintain a fewer amount of carbs once you get past the fat-phobia and start eating more fat, as well.

^^^This. Wise words.
  • spatulathumbs
    spatulathumbs Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I currently have mine set at 65% fat, 25% protein, 10% carbs, and I keep my total carb count under 100 g. My total calorie goal is 1800 and I have about 70 lbs to lose, though that's a very long, long term goal.
  • oferb1
    Options
    Thanks for all the tips, even though my questions will imply, I am not watching my numbers like a hawk, was just curious...

I am not sure that I am "afraid of fat", but I am trying to maintain my numbers by this order:
    1. carbs - they are less than 100gr, with most days around the 80gr, and my fiber is around the 20-25gr (as for ketosis, this was not my goal per say, but from what I read it starts from 80-50gr of carbs - and at least based on the smell of my breath, I have reached it in the past few days)
    2. calories - 20lbs down, ~40lbs to go...

as such, I am only barely hitting the %50 marker for fat... perhaps I still somewhere think that more quantity is better, so I go for more low fat items (I could have had a ny strip instead of the tenderloin yesterday :laugh: )
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the tips, even though my questions will imply, I am not watching my numbers like a hawk, was just curious...

I am not sure that I am "afraid of fat", but I am trying to maintain my numbers by this order:
    1. carbs - they are less than 100gr, with most days around the 80gr, and my fiber is around the 20-25gr (as for ketosis, this was not my goal per say, but from what I read it starts from 80-50gr of carbs - and at least based on the smell of my breath, I have reached it in the past few days)
    2. calories - 20lbs down, ~40lbs to go...

as such, I am only barely hitting the %50 marker for fat... perhaps I still somewhere think that more quantity is better, so I go for more low fat items (I could have had a ny strip instead of the tenderloin yesterday :laugh: )

I can't stress enough that there is no need, and it's even detrimental, to keep choosing lower fat options (but do try for grass fed or wild meats). I'm fully ketogenic and I save money because I don't need to eat large volumes of food. My health improvements on a high fat diet have been AMAZING. Even if you arent' interested in being ketogenic, they are no benefits to intentionally avoiding healthy fats. (My breath smells better than ever before; my lifestyle cured gum disease.)