Strikes at McDonald's, Wendy's to pay employees $15 hour.

Options
1234568»

Replies

• k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    Ok, if NYC minimum wage is the same (in pratice) as the rest of the State then I can see their argument (not sure I agree with the totality but I can see it)... however, $15/hr for a fast food worker in Texas is ridiculous... and fast food workers here in Texas were striking for the same thing, $15/hr.

Sorry Adrian, my brain isn't quite in full on debate mode... ;-)
  • adrian_indy
    adrian_indy Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    Ok, if NYC minimum wage is the same (in pratice) as the rest of the State then I can see their argument (not sure I agree with the totality but I can see it)... however, $15/hr for a fast food worker in Texas is ridiculous... and fast food workers here in Texas were striking for the same thing, $15/hr.

Sorry Adrian, my brain isn't quite in full on debate mode... ;-)

Nope, you are fine, and we agree in your Texas example. I think it is just a negotiation tactic.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    But, that's kind of my point. Nothing is stopping fast food workers from pursuing better opportunities. That's what I did, and now I don't have to sling burgers to get by.

I work for a state transportation agency. We have men and women on these roads every day serving as first responders who are barely making above minimum wage. There are police force and firemen that haven't seen a raise in years and have watched their pensions grow smaller because governments can't stretch tax dollars far enough, and citizens don't want to pay more. Let's not forget military and federal employees and the pay and benefits that they have had to lose simply because Congress couldn't approve a budget.

Why are the fast food workers so much more important to you than the people that keep you in a safe and comfortable society?

Personally, I think its easier for you to tell someone else how to spend their money than it is for you to want to spend a little of your own. McDonald's is a massive corporation, and its easy to wag our fingers and tell them they should have to pay their workers more. But when it comes to paying taxes so a public employee can make a living wage, suddenly the story is reversed. Why? Because the money is coming out of your pocket, and not McDonald's.

^I don't know how to turn a second persons quotes blue.

As stated above, but with different examples, a McDonald's worker in Indiana make minimum wage as far as I know, for 14,000 a year roughly, while in as far back as 2005, a rookie police officer for the IMPD gets 41,000 a year and a take home car. Even when, once again, adjusting the fast food workers pay (even to the 15 which I do not advocate, they still make roughly 11,000 dollars less a year than a cop, so you are both drawing a comparison as if giving fast food workers a raise would elevate them to the wage level of the previously mentioned professions.

As far as military pay goes, they also happen to factor in cost of living and give soldiers COLA, and people on active duty who live outside the states as I did are given money for their souse depending on their home zipcode. In 2002 when I was married, I was paid an extra 700 (roughly) a month. If my wife lived in San Diego (which means a whale's vagina) I would have been paid 2500 extra or around that.

And no where do I state I do not care about the plight of any other worker in the US, I am simple pointing out that while several skilled laborers in every field might be feeling the pinch, or even worse, be laid off, I do not believe American citizens in any job who are willing to work full time should be so poor they would be practically destitute without government assistance.

And lastly, yes McD's is a huge corporation, but as pointed out before, most of them do not get to dive into corporate money, which is why, once again, I do not advocate paying fast food workers 10--15 dollars an hour in Indiana or other low COL states. However, I will assume ( and I concede that I might be wrong since I could not find the figures, but I think I am right) that a NYC McD's makes good profits simply because of the high customer rate.

As I stated, I was once a fast food worker. I only qualified for assistance because I had a child. And you know, I didn't stop striving for better until I could no longer qualify for assistance (and I still really haven't stopped as I'm currently working on my MBA). If fast food workers want to make a living wage, then they can pursue the same path as the rest of us did, and that's the point. People start with fast food, they don't end there.

Economically, increasing wages to $15 an hour (and I realize you aren't advocating that as much as an income rebalancing which I can support) would have a pretty devastating impact. The price of fast food would go up, which would mean the price of "premium" restaurant food would go up, which means the standard consumers would stop going out and spending money on food, and its really undetermined the impact that it would have on the retail industry because less money spent in restaurants means less money for servers who are also consumers AND I'm sure there would be a direct correlation between consumers going out to eat and then, shopping in the same trip.

It just doesn't seem like you are looking at this from an economic standpoint at all. Sure, these fast food restaurants should do some wage surveys to make certain that they are competitive, and should likely consider some wage adjustments. But that's for the company to decide. Almost every state is "right-to-work", the fast food industry is NOT unionized, and these companies are actually within their rights to fire every last person that is picketing. It wouldn't help their public image much, but it would not be something that they would not eventually recover from.
  • adrian_indy
    Options
    But, that's kind of my point. Nothing is stopping fast food workers from pursuing better opportunities. That's what I did, and now I don't have to sling burgers to get by.

I work for a state transportation agency. We have men and women on these roads every day serving as first responders who are barely making above minimum wage. There are police force and firemen that haven't seen a raise in years and have watched their pensions grow smaller because governments can't stretch tax dollars far enough, and citizens don't want to pay more. Let's not forget military and federal employees and the pay and benefits that they have had to lose simply because Congress couldn't approve a budget.

Why are the fast food workers so much more important to you than the people that keep you in a safe and comfortable society?

Personally, I think its easier for you to tell someone else how to spend their money than it is for you to want to spend a little of your own. McDonald's is a massive corporation, and its easy to wag our fingers and tell them they should have to pay their workers more. But when it comes to paying taxes so a public employee can make a living wage, suddenly the story is reversed. Why? Because the money is coming out of your pocket, and not McDonald's.

^I don't know how to turn a second persons quotes blue.

As stated above, but with different examples, a McDonald's worker in Indiana make minimum wage as far as I know, for 14,000 a year roughly, while in as far back as 2005, a rookie police officer for the IMPD gets 41,000 a year and a take home car. Even when, once again, adjusting the fast food workers pay (even to the 15 which I do not advocate, they still make roughly 11,000 dollars less a year than a cop, so you are both drawing a comparison as if giving fast food workers a raise would elevate them to the wage level of the previously mentioned professions.

As far as military pay goes, they also happen to factor in cost of living and give soldiers COLA, and people on active duty who live outside the states as I did are given money for their souse depending on their home zipcode. In 2002 when I was married, I was paid an extra 700 (roughly) a month. If my wife lived in San Diego (which means a whale's vagina) I would have been paid 2500 extra or around that.

And no where do I state I do not care about the plight of any other worker in the US, I am simple pointing out that while several skilled laborers in every field might be feeling the pinch, or even worse, be laid off, I do not believe American citizens in any job who are willing to work full time should be so poor they would be practically destitute without government assistance.

And lastly, yes McD's is a huge corporation, but as pointed out before, most of them do not get to dive into corporate money, which is why, once again, I do not advocate paying fast food workers 10--15 dollars an hour in Indiana or other low COL states. However, I will assume ( and I concede that I might be wrong since I could not find the figures, but I think I am right) that a NYC McD's makes good profits simply because of the high customer rate.

As I stated, I was once a fast food worker. I only qualified for assistance because I had a child. And you know, I didn't stop striving for better until I could no longer qualify for assistance (and I still really haven't stopped as I'm currently working on my MBA). If fast food workers want to make a living wage, then they can pursue the same path as the rest of us did, and that's the point. People start with fast food, they don't end there.

Economically, increasing wages to $15 an hour (and I realize you aren't advocating that as much as an income rebalancing which I can support) would have a pretty devastating impact. The price of fast food would go up, which would mean the price of "premium" restaurant food would go up, which means the standard consumers would stop going out and spending money on food, and its really undetermined the impact that it would have on the retail industry because less money spent in restaurants means less money for servers who are also consumers AND I'm sure there would be a direct correlation between consumers going out to eat and then, shopping in the same trip.

It just doesn't seem like you are looking at this from an economic standpoint at all. Sure, these fast food restaurants should do some wage surveys to make certain that they are competitive, and should likely consider some wage adjustments. But that's for the company to decide. Almost every state is "right-to-work", the fast food industry is NOT unionized, and these companies are actually within their rights to fire every last person that is picketing. It wouldn't help their public image much, but it would not be something that they would not eventually recover from.

Bettering yourself is great, and I agree that people in Fast Food jobs shouldn't strive just to be there for all time...but I am not talking about making these people well paid or even reasonably well paid, I am trying to make the point that they should be able to afford rent, public transportation, basic utilities preferably with out the government assistance. I believe that even at 9-10 dollars an hour, people will still be as motivated to move on because the jobs suck. As far as the cyclical nature of the economy, there seems to be a more conservative mind set similar to yours and a more liberal mind set that is the opposite, that if we paid them more, it would actually stimulate the economy. In the end, I don't think either argument stands out because we have had both mind sets in office and you can track both of their successes and failures.

But the crux of our argument comes to this, I think we are both making assumptions about specific fast food joints and both run the risk of being right or wrong, or maybe both> While I agree that 15 dollars an hour nation wide would be catastrophic, I do not see paying NYC workers, or Boston or anywhere else with high COL 10 bucks an hour would be as devastating as the fast food companies are claiming. I am assuming that in a city with that much cash and so many citizens, they have enough profit to, at an individual store, soak up the losses of that pay increase. This, however, might lead to increased costs at the place in question because there are two types of greed destroying this nation, people who abuse welfare and unemployment, and people who think that running a business should accumulate enough money to shampoo their crotch with caviar or it's just not worth doing.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options

Bettering yourself is great, and I agree that people in Fast Food jobs shouldn't strive just to be there for all time...but I am not talking about making these people well paid or even reasonably well paid, I am trying to make the point that they should be able to afford rent, public transportation, basic utilities preferably with out the government assistance. I believe that even at 9-10 dollars an hour, people will still be as motivated to move on because the jobs suck. As far as the cyclical nature of the economy, there seems to be a more conservative mind set similar to yours and a more liberal mind set that is the opposite, that if we paid them more, it would actually stimulate the economy. In the end, I don't think either argument stands out because we have had both mind sets in office and you can track both of their successes and failures.

But the crux of our argument comes to this, I think we are both making assumptions about specific fast food joints and both run the risk of being right or wrong, or maybe both> While I agree that 15 dollars an hour nation wide would be catastrophic, I do not see paying NYC workers, or Boston or anywhere else with high COL 10 bucks an hour would be as devastating as the fast food companies are claiming. I am assuming that in a city with that much cash and so many citizens, they have enough profit to, at an individual store, soak up the losses of that pay increase. This, however, might lead to increased costs at the place in question because there are two types of greed destroying this nation, people who abuse welfare and unemployment, and people who think that running a business should accumulate enough money to shampoo their crotch with caviar or it's just not worth doing.

Let's just for a minute put aside the COL argument because I agree with you on that point.

The fact of the matter is that were it not for my child support, I would qualify for government assistance, as a state employee, making $12.65 an hour (finally did the math). So the reality is that an increase to $10 an hour isn't really going to get anyone off of public assistance. Also, I stated earlier that many fast food workers ARE making around $9 - $10 an hour presently if they have earned performance raises and have made some real attempts to negotiate. The only fast food workers that are actually making minimum wage are the ones that are at entry-level or are not wise enough to realize that they have negotiating power. In which case, those individuals need to request a meeting with their manager and discuss the issue. Picketing for a nationwide blanket increase to a ridiculous sum that exceeds what many public employees are making is asking for trouble considering that most states are "right-to-work" and they can be fired if the company decides to go that route.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    most states are "right-to-work"

That actually only means that you can't be forced to join a union. You mean "employment at will" or "at-will employment."
  • adrian_indy
    Options

Let's just for a minute put aside the COL argument because I agree with you on that point.

The fact of the matter is that were it not for my child support, I would qualify for government assistance, as a state employee, making $12.65 an hour (finally did the math). So the reality is that an increase to $10 an hour isn't really going to get anyone off of public assistance. Also, I stated earlier that many fast food workers ARE making around $9 - $10 an hour presently if they have earned performance raises and have made some real attempts to negotiate. The only fast food workers that are actually making minimum wage are the ones that are at entry-level or are not wise enough to realize that they have negotiating power. In which case, those individuals need to request a meeting with their manager and discuss the issue. Picketing for a nationwide blanket increase to a ridiculous sum that exceeds what many public employees are making is asking for trouble considering that most states are "right-to-work" and they can be fired if the company decides to go that route.

I think these are all valid points. So what is the cut off for the various government assistances, and are they different State to State? I tried looking it up but couldn't find a solid number a person had to be under, at least in Indiana.
  • robdel302
    robdel302 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Wow--that didn't take long. You seem to have an awfully delicate interpretation of the term "debate".

Excessive use of personal stories and the term "I" is often avoided in real debates because it can send a biased message which makes it harder for anyone else to relate. Individuals are ignored when avoiding relevant issues while resorting assumptions about everyone with opposing views. While we can all understand the position of feeling looked down on, not all of us saw it that way (although it may have been interpreted as such and if so, I'm sorry). There is no reason to debate with people who argue against character rather than things that are important to the topic. Especially when not counter-arguing things that are relevant to their position. Personally, I wouldn't call these workers lazy; irrational if they truly think $15 is reasonable. The economy is why they need a raise but it's the reason it can't happen as well; the proverbial rock and a hard place.

It's likely because many of the things mention were too difficult to follow. (FYI, I dislike using personal stories but this maybe relevant). My third degree is catered towards business so a lot of important things mentioned can be difficult to follow. But it does allow me to see things from a business perspective. Economically and business-wise these raises just aren't going to happen without drastic changes. Most of us have been in these low wage positions and can see why they don't earn much. We believed we deserved more money when we were low skilled workers, looking back we see this is incorrect. Many (not all) of those working fast food and the like have never worked up to higher paying positions. It's beyond their comprehension to understand WHY they need more skills to earn more pay. Dunning-Kruger at its finest.

In hindsight, these articles mentioning NYC could be anywhere even in New Jersey as most of the surrounding area is considered its suburbs. Cost of living within the actual city is excessively high for anyone making minimum wage to live downtown. If they're commuting then that is their choice. There are plenty of fast food restaurants around for them to get a job closer to home. Many strikers admitted they're striking because they can always find work elsewhere. But if they can find work elsewhere, why don't they save money and not commute? It makes no sense. Lastly, there is also a policy meeting with the Fed this week. It could start a snowball leading to economic disaster for borrowers. These people NEED to find a better way to manage money and get higher paying jobs. $15/hour might not even cover rent in a few years.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options

I think these are all valid points. So what is the cut off for the various government assistances, and are they different State to State? I tried looking it up but couldn't find a solid number a person had to be under, at least in Indiana.

Well it does vary from state-to-state and from program-to-program. Welfare agencies don't generally make that information widely available, but they generally provide you the income requirements when you apply. I can say that raising their pay to $15 an hour would probably raise them above the allowable limits, but then you would still have public employees, many with degrees, that would still be eligible for assistance. And like I said, the inflation that raising the fast food employees' wages would inevitably cause would lead to the allowable limits for public assistance being raised as well.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options
    most states are "right-to-work"

That actually only means that you can't be forced to join a union. You mean "employment at will" or "at-will employment."

Well in GA, it's referred to as "right-to-work".
  • robdel302
    robdel302 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Each state varies, they either have right-to-work or at will and some even have combination of the two, From what I gather, right-to-work only affects unions in that they can't deny anyone employment. So if your job isn't unionized it does no good. Especially when unions destroy a company i.e. Hostess.

Another thing we neglected to consider is how taxes and deductions would affect a pay raise. After federal & state taxes (for those that have them) social security, garnishment, etc etc.. even a $10/hour raise would equate to roughly an extra dollar per hour. While every little bit helps, this means a small raise isn't going to be a huge difference. Now to make these people earn $15 would equate to about $18/hour before taxes. And since most franchises claim to only have a 1% profit margin, even that $10 seems impossible without raising menu prices. Not to mention the massive influx of people with much more qualifications applying for a job. If a restaurant starts paying that much, they're likely to raise hiring standards to people with degrees. It sounds ludicrous, but best believe college graduates will apply for jobs with wages like that.

A great idea is give raises to employees taking classes at accredited colleges, assuming profits allow it.. Start giving really competitive rates for those who show initiative for self improvement. Give it some crazy name like "Competitive Wages for Aspiring Students" then market it. Corporate may even provide funds for this as the positive publicity would likely send share prices up. This would increase revenues as consumers are more likely to buy from franchises helping students. Applicants will stay up so those who don't follow the standards are easily replaced. Night classes, weekends, online, anything so long as they show an initiative for improvement. Government grants and scholarships would cover most if not all semester fees. The average low income student only needs to buy books which are very cheap when used.

Hmm, I should patent this idea.
  • adrian_indy
    Options
    Wow--that didn't take long. You seem to have an awfully delicate interpretation of the term "debate".

Excessive use of personal stories and the term "I" is often avoided in real debates because it can send a biased message which makes it harder for anyone else to relate. Individuals are ignored when avoiding relevant issues while resorting assumptions about everyone with opposing views. While we can all understand the position of feeling looked down on, not all of us saw it that way (although it may have been interpreted as such and if so, I'm sorry). There is no reason to debate with people who argue against character rather than things that are important to the topic. Especially when not counter-arguing things that are relevant to their position. Personally, I wouldn't call these workers lazy; irrational if they truly think $15 is reasonable. The economy is why they need a raise but it's the reason it can't happen as well; the proverbial rock and a hard place.

It's likely because many of the things mention were too difficult to follow. (FYI, I dislike using personal stories but this maybe relevant). My third degree is catered towards business so a lot of important things mentioned can be difficult to follow. But it does allow me to see things from a business perspective. Economically and business-wise these raises just aren't going to happen without drastic changes. Most of us have been in these low wage positions and can see why they don't earn much. We believed we deserved more money when we were low skilled workers, looking back we see this is incorrect. Many (not all) of those working fast food and the like have never worked up to higher paying positions. It's beyond their comprehension to understand WHY they need more skills to earn more pay. Dunning-Kruger at its finest.

In hindsight, these articles mentioning NYC could be anywhere even in New Jersey as most of the surrounding area is considered its suburbs. Cost of living within the actual city is excessively high for anyone making minimum wage to live downtown. If they're commuting then that is their choice. There are plenty of fast food restaurants around for them to get a job closer to home. Many strikers admitted they're striking because they can always find work elsewhere. But if they can find work elsewhere, why don't they save money and not commute? It makes no sense. Lastly, there is also a policy meeting with the Fed this week. It could start a snowball leading to economic disaster for borrowers. These people NEED to find a better way to manage money and get higher paying jobs. $15/hour might not even cover rent in a few years.

First off, plenty of people here were making assertions about the character of these workers long before I entered the debate. And while I would say that you were not the worst offender, your statements were in no doubt cold and I believe designed be hurtful, as were the others. Once again, I just wonder why your debate etiquette only seemed mentionable after the same treatment was doled out to the aggressors?

As for the $15 an hour, I think it has been reasonably hashed out that no one on these forums, and in all likelihood, even the protesters ever wanted the full 15, if I remember right, you yourself said this was just probably a negotiation tactic, so assuming that people are irrational is probably unwise. As far as Dunning-Kruger go, while it is all very interesting and could very well be true, but I do also think that many of the people here who were so graphic and rude in their judgments of the unskilled worker might want to also look up Narcissistic personality disorder which I think most striking symptoms as pertaining to how this debate was handled are symptoms like, expressing disdain for those you feel are inferior, appearing as tough-minded or unemotional, believing that you're better than others, amongst others.

And since we are already breaking those rules of debate etiquette, I do admit, I only have 1 degree and it wasn't even remotely related to business....however I have been a bus boy, host, waiter, cook, bartender, bar manager, catering manager and once made coffee at Starbucks for a few months.
  • adrian_indy
    Options
    Each state varies, they either have right-to-work or at will and some even have combination of the two, From what I gather, right-to-work only affects unions in that they can't deny anyone employment. So if your job isn't unionized it does no good. Especially when unions destroy a company i.e. Hostess.

Another thing we neglected to consider is how taxes and deductions would affect a pay raise. After federal & state taxes (for those that have them) social security, garnishment, etc etc.. even a $10/hour raise would equate to roughly an extra dollar per hour. While every little bit helps, this means a small raise isn't going to be a huge difference. Now to make these people earn $15 would equate to about $18/hour before taxes. And since most franchises claim to only have a 1% profit margin, even that $10 seems impossible without raising menu prices. Not to mention the massive influx of people with much more qualifications applying for a job. If a restaurant starts paying that much, they're likely to raise hiring standards to people with degrees. It sounds ludicrous, but best believe college graduates will apply for jobs with wages like that.

A great idea is give raises to employees taking classes at accredited colleges, assuming profits allow it.. Start giving really competitive rates for those who show initiative for self improvement. Give it some crazy name like "Competitive Wages for Aspiring Students" then market it. Corporate may even provide funds for this as the positive publicity would likely send share prices up. This would increase revenues as consumers are more likely to buy from franchises helping students. Applicants will stay up so those who don't follow the standards are easily replaced. Night classes, weekends, online, anything so long as they show an initiative for improvement. Government grants and scholarships would cover most if not all semester fees. The average low income student only needs to buy books which are very cheap when used.

Hmm, I should patent this idea.

The 15 thing is out the window. We all agree.

As far as a $1 raise...as you have already pointed out, most of these McD's are privately owned and do not get corporate money. As said before, low COL areas paying these workers $10 dollars an hour seems excessive, but in large cities where business is more than likely booming, it is probable that the franchise could still be successful, pay the increased wages, and not change the menu prices. I tried looking up what the average amount of employees at a McD's is at any given time, so I think 20 is a reasonable estimation, probably and overestimation. So 20 workers at a 24/7 being given a raise from 7.25 an hour to 10.00 an hour is going to roughly cost the establishment 500,000 dollars, which is a huge chunk of change. But then we have to realize that the average McD's makes close to 2 million in gross profits every year, as to the more successful stores I am assuming are in big cities, I couldn't find their profits. But even if they were 2 million a year profit as well, the choice to raise menu prices because they are now only making 1.5 million dollars a year is completely up to them, but probably not necessary.

As far as the low profit margin argument goes....it doesn't matter. The more you mass produce things, the lower your profit margin becomes if you want to be competitive. This same song in dance is used by the oil industries who claim near poverty because they only make 4% profits...until you realize they still make 26 BILLION dollars a year in profits individually. That is after every pay check is signed. These poor saps.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options
    I tried looking up what the average amount of employees at a McD's is at any given time, so I think 20 is a reasonable estimation, probably and overestimation. So 20 workers at a 24/7 being given a raise from 7.25 an hour to 10.00 an hour is going to roughly cost the establishment 500,000 dollars, which is a huge chunk of change.

You have severely underestimated the number of employees needed to operate a McDonald's 24/7. There might be 20 per shift with 3 different shifts. And that is just hourly associates.
  • treetop57
    treetop57 Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    That is exactly what he calculated. A $2.75 raise from $7.25 to $10 will cost:

20 people / shift * 3 shifts/day * 8 hours/shift * 365 days/year * $2.75/hour = $481,800/year
  • adrian_indy
    Options
    I tried looking up what the average amount of employees at a McD's is at any given time, so I think 20 is a reasonable estimation, probably and overestimation. So 20 workers at a 24/7 being given a raise from 7.25 an hour to 10.00 an hour is going to roughly cost the establishment 500,000 dollars, which is a huge chunk of change.

You have severely underestimated the number of employees needed to operate a McDonald's 24/7. There might be 20 per shift with 3 different shifts. And that is just hourly associates.

Yes, see Treetop57^. You don't have to count all the employees, just the ones at work being paid. But also note, and this is important. I might be grossly overestimating the number of employees working at these establishments. I simply don't know. I also used a 24/7 format, which may or may not be true. Then I assumed they were being paid the absolute minimum wage they could be at, which may not be true, and lastly only used the profits of an average McDonald's. I tried to stack the deck against myself to see if this might even be feasible in bad conditions.