Anyone find thems selves slipping and what do you do?

Options
I've found myself slipping of the wagon... :explode: Had 1/4 of a pita today for lunch for no good reason other than it was there.

It’s kind of turning into a bit of a pattern for me! 5-6 chips, a craft beer or two, etc… :drinker:

Another thing it’s not helping me move forward through this weird plateau I'm in.

I have a feeling its sapping my Low Carb advantage.

I’m a 30-60 Carbs a day guy, mostly from vegetables

:smile: I want to nip this in the bud so I can move on. What do you do?

Replies

• kiramaniac
    kiramaniac Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    The last time I did this was with a french fry. I put it in my mouth. As I chewed, I thought - "That doesn't even taste that good. Why did I do that?" Then I spit it out. Thankfully I was at home. That would have been awkward at a restaurant.

Refocus. I like to rewatch Fat Head once in a while.
    Eat higher fat.
    Plan your day ahead, and STICK WITH IT.
    Write out some of your goals.
    Tell yourself that you'll get to have a reward after a specified period. And stick to it. Maybe knowing that in 2 weeks you are going to have that night out with beer, will help you avoid it now.
  • Rei1988
    Rei1988 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I'm with Kira on watch Fat Head :) Love that movie!
    Also maybe you can read some low-carb books & maybe change up your macros?
  • Possible_Infinity
    Options
    Wow!!!

I got to watch it now...

I've seen it on netflix, Just never knew he was doing lower carbs and high fats...
  • kiramaniac
    Options
    Most of it is moderate carbs, but he debunks a lot of the traditional diet stuff. Makes you realize how much of the recommended diet is driven by politics and corporate interests (and ego in the case of Ancel Keys), and not our health.
  • camtosh
    camtosh Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    I eat more fat--macadamia nuts or avocado or a bulletproof coffee... that seems to curb all my cravings! Then just keep at it. I finally started losing last week after several weeks of plateauing because I kept going too carby... Switching to red wine instead of beer helped too, doh! (Why did I not realize THAT?) Must find this Fathead movie.
    cheers
  • kiramaniac
    Options
  • keljones81
    keljones81 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I allow myself a cheat. If not, I would go crazy and binge eat bread (and cookies... beer... sugar).

I am eating between 20 - 40 carbs a day and as good as I am with it, I allow myself a treat every once in a while. As long as it isn't everyday, it wont hurt and it is good for the soul. ;)

The rest of the time I keep the temptations out of my house. I have no will power if it is in my cupboards and I know it's there!
  • jen_zz
    jen_zz Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options

Yay thanks!
  • abbyolurin1
    abbyolurin1 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    When I feel myself slipping I eat low carb snacks like:

iuv6.jpg

OR

9wde.jpg
  • jen_zz
    jen_zz Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options

Yay thanks!

Really appreciated the graphical/comical illustrations of what insulin does to your fat cells!
  • christineellis
    christineellis Posts: 296 Member
    Options

Wow! Never seen this before. It was well worth a watch.

Thank you!
  • JanetLynnJudy
    JanetLynnJudy Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! My very first post on MFP was about just that. It was on October 2012 and I was down 61 pounds at that point. After I made that post I haven't missed a day of logging and though at the time I made the post I was working out on a regular basis, I decided on the day after Christmas to up the ante and get in an hour of cardio every single day no matter what (also do weightlifting sometimes but I don't count it as part of my hour). Just acknowledging what was happening helped me to see that it didn't have to be that way.

I think what you are doing here is really one of the best things you can do. Reflecting on choices, thinking of how you can improve upon those choices and even visualizing and mentally preparing yourself for future situations can be very helpful.

I think of living a healthier lifestyle as a still, like other skills, that can be improved upon and even made easier with daily practice.

Edit: I found the post if you are interested http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/776120--61-pds-in-past-year-losing-steam-decided-to-say-hi
  • jsuaccounting
    jsuaccounting Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I eat more fat--macadamia nuts or avocado or a bulletproof coffee... that seems to curb all my cravings! Then just keep at it. I finally started losing last week after several weeks of plateauing because I kept going too carby... Switching to red wine instead of beer helped too, doh! (Why did I not realize THAT?) Must find this Fathead movie.
    cheers

I also found that upping my fat intake seemed to reduce my carb cravings.