NUTS...do you or dont you ?

Options
I've been eating a serving of almonds and/or pistachios everyday, love'em (providing the fit in my calories)....but have heard from many people they hold you back from losing, or maybe that was peanuts..?...anyways, could anyone share your thoughts on this ?

Replies

• jsuaccounting
    jsuaccounting Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I go back and forth on this. Macadamias seem to work fairly well. Not sure about almond butter - but I have been trying it this week when my calories are low.
  • chani8
    chani8 Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    I can eat anything as long as it fits within my calorie goals.

I love nuts, all of them. I recently backed off of peanuts.
  • Mistizoom
    Mistizoom Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I eat nuts regularly. Usually almonds, but also peanuts. Sometime macadamia nuts. Occasionally walnuts or pecans. I usually have a fat bomb or two every day made with peanut butter as well. I fit these into my eating plan and am losing fine.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    I've been eating a serving of almonds and/or pistachios everyday, love'em (providing the fit in my calories)....but have heard from many people they hold you back from losing, or maybe that was peanuts..?...anyways, could anyone share your thoughts on this ?

I have a problem with nuts :sad:
    I love them too much. I had a problem with cashews in particular but crunchy peanut butter can also be a problem if I'm not careful.

Raw cashews however, :love: Absolutely. No. Control. :blushing:

I didn't realize it until I noticed I stopped losing weight. That's when I started noticing how much I actually consumed, being new to keto at the time, I had limited snack choices. I also couldn't figure out why my blood sugar wouldn't go below a certain number during the day anymore, when I knew I had the ability to.

Turned out it was the amount of cashews I was eating had me firmly in the 'carb creep' territory. This was further confirmed when I cut them out to see what would happen & ended up with 'carb flu' for about 4 days :laugh: Wooops. :blushing:

I couldn't break the habit or keep to 14g of 'shews per serving/snack, so I had to toss 'em :sick:

Crunchy peanut butter has since replaced my beloved cashews, at least the PB I can control :laugh:

Incidentally, my stalled weight loss continued until I decided to track macros & then calories to see if that was the problem as I still had 17#'s to lose. Turns out I was off. I used this keto calc:

http://www.phlaunt.com/lowcarb/DietMakeupCalc.php

Now that I'm sticking to netting 1500 cal and my blood sugars stay reliably no higher than 115 mg/dl, I'm losing 1# a week as predicted :smokin:
  • christineellis
    christineellis Posts: 296 Member
    Options

Incidentally, my stalled weight loss continued until I decided to track macros & then calories to see if that was the problem as I still had 17#'s to lose. Turns out I was off. I used this keto calc:

I have a problem with nuts too. No portion control whatsoever and also with nut butters! I crave them and want more and more once I have that first bite.

I looked at your link and put in some numbers to see how they compared to what I had programmed in here. Numbers are drastically different if you actually know your current Body Fat percentage. I'm getting a DEXA scan on Thursday for full Body Fat and bone density, so will recaculate after that and see how it goes! I love all these calculators, but if you don't have accurate info going in, it is hard to trust what is coming out. :ohwell:
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options

I have a problem with nuts too. No portion control whatsoever and also with nut butters! I crave them and want more and more once I have that first bite.

I looked at your link and put in some numbers to see how they compared to what I had programmed in here. Numbers are drastically different if you actually know your current Body Fat percentage. I'm getting a DEXA scan on Thursday for full Body Fat and bone density, so will recaculate after that and see how it goes! I love all these calculators, but if you don't have accurate info going in, it is hard to trust what is coming out. :ohwell:

Yep. I didn't trust the numbers coming out of the calculators either. Mostly because different calculators gave me different numbers depending upon the formula they use to calculate. Katch MCardle, Harris Benedict all give me slightly different numbers. Considering it's an average, I was always skeptical.

Till I saw that goofy YouTube video about thin people's metabolism vs overweight people's metabolisms and then I thought I might not be so 'off' after all. One thing's for sure, my blood sugar dysregulation issues definitely muddied the waters.

As long as my BG's are low on the regular, all day long, then I easily lose weight as predicted using the keto calc. Well, that along with getting 10k steps per day and heavy lifting 3 x weekly :wink:

Good luck with your DEXA scan! I've thought of doing that myself. If this ever stops before I reach my goal, I'll definitely have to look into it!
  • Rei1988
    Rei1988 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I eat them every couple of days. Macadamia nuts, walnuts & almonds seem to have the best macros for keto, so I eat those. Occasional peanut butter too :)
  • jennb44
    jennb44 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I haven't found this to be true. I eat earth balance coconut & peanut spread every morning during the week and sometimes almonds too. I am still losing.:smile:
  • SOOZIE429
    SOOZIE429 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    I have no problem with nuts. I eat macadamia, almonds and also pumpkin seeds all the time. The key is to measure/weigh them. I could totally over eat them if I didn't.
  • princessrisariri
    princessrisariri Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    As long as they fit in the macros I love them, they do sometimes cause me to go over for the day though.
    Almonds, pisachios are my favourites but I also like cashews/hazelnuts but they have to be in smaller doses.

Buy prepacked amounts or only take a tiny bit with you so you are not tempted to eat too many as that will cause you to go over your macro for carbs without you realising.