Have any of you used "My Recipes" on MFP?

Options
Hi all
Have any of you tried the "My Recipes" section out here yet or do you do what I do and find something similar when you enter meals in your food diary? I had home made Thai Chicken Satay tonight that I had stashed in my freezer and haven't a clue what the nutritional breakdown would be so used one I found for Sun Rice 2 minute microwave Satay. I often cook more than I need to feed the 2 of us, and freeze single meal sized portions for dinners for me when himself's working night shift. Wonder if I should try the "My Recipes" next time to get it more accurate. What do you think?

Replies

• ponderosakaren
    ponderosakaren Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Hi Kay and everybody!! I've not checked that out yet as I've tried to not get so pernickety (is that a word?) over each and every calorie...but maybe I'm cheating?! I do what you do....try to find the nearest item in the database and work from that. Does make it a bit inaccurate I guess. I adjust the quantities but realise this week that I need to be measuring more so have got out my kitchen scales, measuring cups and spoons, and promise myself to measure more accurately. My kitchen bench is now getting a bit over the top with a whole area dedicated to Me and My Fitness Campaign! I've got a big juice machine, my vitamins, oil of evening primrose capsules, krill tablets for my knee, recipe booksetc etc...and now big scales! I think I do under estimate the size of portions...maybe I need smaller plates?!
    So in summary I sense we both need to get more accurate....but be good to hear other peoples thoughts?
  • fitgbaby
    fitgbaby Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi all, yes I have used the my recipes function as well as searching for 'near enough' equivalents I have found that recipes I do often but have modified from standard are great to have saved.
    The function itself is a bit clunky. Not too easy to use but as with other items entered here once its saved you don't have to do it again, but you can modify the recipe if you need to. Great to have the serving sixes worked out too.
  • Annie_R
    Annie_R Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I must admit, that I'm not into calorie/kilojoule counting and don't really pay any attention to these values. I do keep a track of my foods, but the Cal/Kj content is irrelevant to me.
    What works for me, is "The Palm Method". Foods are measured using my own hands. If you were to fist your two hands and put them together, that is the size of your stomach, that is how much volume your stomach can take. Each person's hands indicate the size of their own stomach. This alone, is a good indicator for portion sizing.
    If you want to know more about the Palm Method, message me, or google it - you'll find Dr Damian Kristoff has a 15min [approx] video explaining this way of eating.
    One size does not fit all though! Cal/Kj counting doesn't do it for me, but The Palm Method does :-)