Hi Kiwis!

Options
Hi girls and gals! Use this message board to log in and share your story...how did you end up here...what are your goals...and what is keeping you from fulfilling them?!
I'm Karen. I live just out of Auckland, originally from the UK but living here 20 years now so definitely a kiwi! I love everything about New Zealand...we are so lucky to live in Godzone aren't we?! I had a horrible accident in February and totally trashed my right leg...everything broke or ruptured and am struggling to get back to normal fitness and active life. I gained a lot of weight during the downtime and now need to lose 20 kgs for my son's wedding on Waiheke Island in February.
I'd love to hear from other kiwis and to share our journey together...
kia kaha,
Karen
x

Replies

• nakigirl79
    Options
    Hi everyone!
    I'm Trudi and as my user name suggests I'm from 'the Naki'. Since I had my first child 10yrs ago my weight has slowly crept up until 6 months ago I was my heaviest at 84kgs. Since then I've managed to lose 4kgs but the last couple of months have been a real struggle. I'm a nurse so shift work and an extremely stressful environment as well as being a solo parent has ment I too regularly turn to takeaways as a quick and easy option for meals.
    For my and my children's health I want to gain control again and be a fit and healthy example. My short term goal is to lose 10kg so that I regain my confidence and will happily join my girls at the beach in my togs. Something I haven't done in years. :smile:
  • ponderosakaren
    ponderosakaren Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Hi Trudi! Great to have you with us and to learn a bit about you! Lovely part of the country you live in....and also good to hear you've already lost 4kgs so not too many to go really! Shift work must be hard for sure...and yes, we all know the temptation of quick and easy! I just ate a lemon tart for morning tea....am I crazy?! How many minutes of exercise biking will it take to get rid of it...stilln nice to have a treat! Love the togs goal....this definitely could be your summer!
    Rubbish weather up here in Auckland today.....windy and unsettled...still waiting for the summer but I'm sure its just round the corner!
    chat soon, Karen
  • fitgbaby
    fitgbaby Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi fellow Kiwis!
    I'm in sunny Nelson and although by many others' standards I am skinny already, but those jeans still have a tendency to muffin and I am a sucker for impulse eating.
    I have been using MFP since the beginning of the year (on and off) but it is only in the last few weeks that I have been paying serious attention to my food and I am starting to see the results. This is also the first time I have looked at the groups and it's great to see some Kiwis here.
    I have two kids , husband and a full time job as well as teaching a Balance class at the gym once a week so life is pretty full.

What's my goal? To be under the 60kg 'yellow line' in my head and to feel like I can offer real advise to others without feeling like a fraud as I eat the muffin that someone brought in for morning tea.
  • ponderosakaren
    Options
    Hi there to you in Nelson! Hope you got a sunny day there today....super stormy here south of Auckland and relentless rain....hope we don't get a tree down overnight and get trapped in the house! Great to hear of somebody who doesn't have too much weight to shift....you're good to get onto it while its just muffin top and not full blown rolling fat! I sense we're all gravitating to mfp with the onset of summer....horror of facing another summer looking less than glamorous in togs and dresses! There's a few kiwis lurking on here...we're tending to group together a bit now...if you wanted to add me as a friend you'll get to see the others profiles as well and can expand your network from there. I'm finding it quite fun to hear from people each day and they do kind of keep you on track, a bit like cyber weight watchers! Also get some good ideas for recipes, exercise etc. I see you teach Balance...is that using a swiss ball? Love to hear more about that...I live outside of Auckland, about half an hour by ferry, opposite Waiheke Island, and have always had a tendency to be a bit overweight but added a lot of kgs during the past two years, firstly through having a broken big toe which limited mobility for ages, then after my accident last February where I totally trashed my right knee (ligaments, miniscus, broken tibia etc)...taken 8 months to get some decent mobility and am now working frantically to shed the kilos and regain fitness! I also pick and nibble....and the odd glass of wine while making dinner has not helped my weight at all, strange to say!
    Look forward to seeing you online, and seeing you you are doing. Cheers from Auckland, Karen:smile:
  • kaydee173
    Options
    Good morning all, well done to you Karen - you've managed to find another mainlander to join the group :smile: ! And a big welcome to you fitgbaby, it's great to have another member. Cheers, Kay
  • sophiedb
    Options
    hi there :) I've been an intermittent member of MFP for a year or so now *gulp* never quite hit my goal though, so I'm planning to get stuck in this time. I have a desk job, but also a 5yo daughter and veggie patch, so there is opportunity to exercise and incentive to eat healthily. Hubby's pretty good, but one of those "where's the meat" types :) We live in a very flat area - Christchurch (eq potholes don't count as hills!) but I do love to walk, so now that the summer evenings are upon us I'm hoping to get a few evening strolls in too. Now all I need is to get this thing working on my phone.. :)
  • kaydee173
    Options
    Hi sophiebd, welcome to Kiwis Keeping Fit, another mainlander amongst us, fantastic as that will help even things up. I'm an original Cantabrian, born and raised in Christchurch, but living in Hokitika for 20 years now. Still visit my home town but heartbreaking now to see all the damage and conditions some folks still have to live in. Hope you didn't suffer too much. Great to have you on board, it's a very supportive and friendly group, cheers Kay
  • sophiedb
    Options
    Thank you for the welcome :) I'm not quite a mainlander though - but I did marry one who convinced me that NZ was a far nicer place than the UK, even with earthquakes thrown in! I've been in NZ for nearly 2 years now - arrived after the 7.1, before the 6.3 - with hubby and daughter. We've been very lucky in our house to be honest, no serious damage and Fletchers have already fixed us up (cosmetic ticky-box exercise to make Gerry smile..). Am quite happy to no longer be working in the CBD though.. nice single storey building close to home is just fine!

On the weight loss front, one of my colleagues became quite literally half the woman she was last year and seems to have inspired a few of us to give this diet lark another try :) I am unlikely to follow in her crazy footsteps that lead to entering the Coast 2 Coast though.. some things are just a little too far for me..
  • jenhnz12
    jenhnz12 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi all,
    I'm Jen, from the UK originally as well but been here for 10 years now and wouldn't live anywhere else. Currently around 118kg and whilst the first target is to get below 100kg again, longer term I'd love to be back around 85kg. Looking for all the help and support I can get as all my family is still in the UK.
    Have a great long weekend.
  • kaydee173
    Options
    Hi Jen and welcome, you've found yourself a small but very supportive group. It's great to have a new member, have added you as a friend. Hope you're having a great weekend, Kay
  • ponderosakaren
    Options
    Hi Jen! Another ex pat/new kiwi!! I'm a Geordie originally...from Newcastle....but been here 19 years now and like you wouldn't live anywhere else...apart from the Caribbean maybe?! Welcome to the Kiwis Keeping Fit group.....this site is great but has huge membership and good to form a little 'local' group to offer support and motivation! I'll also add you as a friend....its good to log on each day and give each other a pat on the back or a nudge in the right direction! I've been going around 6 weeks now and about 5kgs gone....but weirdly looks more! I think that might be the exercise.....there's a strong message on here to get off our backsides and use up some calories....seems a good plan!! Whereabouts are you living? Hope you've had a good holiday weekend and look forward to seeing you online....cheers, Karen
  • ponderosakaren
    Options
    Hi Sophie! Welcome to Kiwis Keeping Fit...hope this is the start of a great journey for you....and I think you'll find with some good online support from other 'MFP' mates it'll make it easier....or more accurately harder to fall off the 'wagon'! I see you're in Christchurch......such a beautiful city and our hearts have ached since the earthquakes to hear of the ongoing effects on people's lives....your Cantabs are made of strong stuff thats for sure! Are you from the UK originally? Hope you're getting started in your MFP journey and look forward to seeing you online soon...and to hearing of your progress! Cheers, Karen
  • HaylzNZ
    HaylzNZ Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hello Everyone :)

My husband likes to call me an "Islander" as I was grew up on Stewart Island ;) I have moved a lot around NZ, currently living in the Manawatu.

With many ups and downs in my weight journey (more ups if I'm honest), I can no longer blame the large babies, ill health, medications etc and have decided to take a far more active stance and love the fact that this site can handle our foods (well a fair selection anyway).

I have a rather long journey, but feel this site is one that will help me on my way.
    Haylz
  • Annie_R
    Annie_R Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hi there fellow Kiwi's.
    I won't prattle on too much about me, why I'm here, or about my inspirations, as that's all on my profile page.
    I will say, that I'm loving this and the Fitbit site, and although I don't spend a lot of time reading peoples messages/blogs or replying/blogging myself, this is a great motivator and support system for all of us.
    So thanks to all of you for just being on this site and contributing, every little bit helps and you never know, what you may have posted could be the thing that helped someone else stay on track. :-) xxx