Couch to 5k

Options
LolaBug85
LolaBug85 Posts: 201 Member
Hi everyone! Hope all is well in your world :) After lots of research and reading a ton of reviews, I have decided to start the Couch to 5k training program tonight! I'm pretty pumped about it. Have any of you ever used this tool? I know it has terrific reviews, but I would love to hear from some of you on here about your experiences with it.

Also, any stretching suggestions? I'm new to all this :)

Thanks!

Replies

• rachelboddy
    rachelboddy Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I've heard of a lot of success on that program!! I haven't done it, but let me know how it goes, I'm pumped for you! :)
  • LolaBug85
    Options
    I've heard of a lot of success on that program!! I haven't done it, but let me know how it goes, I'm pumped for you! :)

Will do! I'm pretty excited! I'm full expecting it to kick my *kitten*, but I need that :)
  • Beana21
    Beana21 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Definitely keep us updated because I'm interested in it as well. I decided recently to sign up for an 8K held in March and was planning to use this program as well, to start. I officially started "training" for it today just by walking the length of the 8K (just under 5 miles) to get my body used to that distance. I'm kinda apprehensive about actually trying to run because I haven't done it in SO LONG (16 years) and I'm still pretty heavy at 215 lbs.
  • Agate69
    Agate69 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I used it just post surgery. Now do several 5K a year some faster than others. I thought it pretty good. Wednesday my 6 year old grandson are spending an hour with a running coach. As my grandson said, awesome grandma! I wish some one would have taught me how to run when I was 6, so I would not have been the slowest, and thus the last picked for any activity. funny at that time I was a skinny child. Boy did that change. I want to make running a life skill for my grandsons.
  • LolaBug85
    Options
    Definitely keep us updated because I'm interested in it as well. I decided recently to sign up for an 8K held in March and was planning to use this program as well, to start. I officially started "training" for it today just by walking the length of the 8K (just under 5 miles) to get my body used to that distance. I'm kinda apprehensive about actually trying to run because I haven't done it in SO LONG (16 years) and I'm still pretty heavy at 215 lbs.

Well I made it through Day 1 yesterday! It was tough for a bit, but I pushed through and finished! I haven't run since I was a kid and I'm at 217 and managed it! I never thought I'd be able to do it lol. I felt fantastic after doing it and I still do! I'm actually excited for tomorrow to roll around so I can move on to day 2. I feel great. You should give it a try! If I can do it, anyone can :)
  • Agate69
    Options

Well I made it through Day 1 yesterday! It was tough for a bit, but I pushed through and finished! I haven't run since I was a kid and I'm at 217 and managed it! I never thought I'd be able to do it lol. I felt fantastic after doing it and I still do! I'm actually excited for tomorrow to roll around so I can move on to day 2. I feel great. You should give it a try! If I can do it, anyone can :)

You failed to mention that you did this in brutally hot weather!

Really odd, ino longer complain about heat.
  • LolaBug85
    Options

You failed to mention that you did this in brutally hot weather!

Really odd, ino longer complain about heat.

ooooh hell no, i would have died lol. My hubby bought me a treadmill so I did it on that :)
  • spfldpam
    spfldpam Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I loaded the app on my Droid phone. I can't run due to bone on bone on my left knee. Well...I can run and have tried to and my knee started acted up so I quit running. I can walk with no issues and just do other workout routines instead. I have heard alot of people have good success with the Couch to 5K program and it looks like a great one I think. My knee really doesn't bother me much except when I run on it for extended time periods. Loosing all this weight really did help my knee alot.
    Good luck!
  • Agate69
    Options
    With bone on bone in one knee also, I had given all hope of running. 18 months ago, I had artificial joint fluid injected into kne and now I ? Run slowly but enjoy it.
  • JoelleAnn78
    JoelleAnn78 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    :love: C25K!!

I started on 3/18/13 at 219 pounds. I have now run three 5Ks and I have consistently gotten faster as the summer has gone on.

My best advice is to follow the program. Don't do more than the workout calls for -- there is a reason it is set up like it is. Sometimes I would feel like it was an easy workout and I would think I can do W4D3 tomorrow and not take a rest day...... Wrong. Rest days are so important. The program is training your body to handle the actual exercise and also the after effects of the exercise. Your muscles need to rest and reair themselves.

Also, trust in the program. You may look ahead and think, "There's no way...." BUT, there is nothing stopping you except your own mind telling you that you cannot accomplish it. You will be amazed what your body can do if you ignore your brain!
  • Jamielynn_77
    Jamielynn_77 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I have never heard of this, but reading your posts I am psyched! :happy: I just started running myself, at home on my treadmill. I am starting slow, and I have no kind of guidelines. My fitness coordinator wants me to prep for a 5 k, and now that I am under 200, I finally feel like there is enough weight off my knees to try. I am definitely going to download the app to my phone, and give it a shot. Good luck to you too!
  • PODebbie
    PODebbie Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I tried the plan, but ran into a problem. I was running on hills and broke a bone in the ball of my foot. I was up to 5 minutes running and doing it 5 times with walking for a total of 3 miles. I started in the house on a treadmill. It was really hard. I cycled and roller skated frequently, but running involves moving all of your weight without wheels. I weighed 190 at the time. (5'4) After wearing a cast for 6 months, and the foot not healing, I had surgery to remove the sesmoid bone. It is a pea-sized bone on the ball of your foot. It has been 10 months, and I am walking now, but my big toe has shifted, and I get blisters in the only shoes I can wear, hiking or tennis shoes. I gained 50 pounds. I had to stop all activity, I ate out of frustration, anger and boredom. Just getting back in the program, but I don't think I will ever run again. I used to cycle from 3-5,000 miles per year, but cycling on road bikes, the ball of your foot aligns with the pedal, and it is still uncomfortable. So....... be careful.
  • bel738
    bel738 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    i just download the spreed sheet and going to start it...try something different...will start tonight !!
  • LilyBugsMommy
    LilyBugsMommy Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Can you send me a link for the spreadsheet? I really want to start this too :)
  • LilyBugsMommy
    LilyBugsMommy Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Jamielynn_77: Sounds like me :smile:

I have just been thinking about looking into starting this! I am so excited!! I have never been a runner, but, it sounds so empowering!
  • LolaBug85
    Options
    It's pretty awesome! I used the couch to 5k app on my phone. I put it on the back burner for now because I'm doing an extreme bodyshaping/kickboxing class 6 days/week for the next 11 weeks. So once that's done, I'm hitting up C25K again :)