Ever feel like giving up?

Options
I've been on Medifast since the end of June. I have managed to lose 12lbs and that's it! I'm pretty frustrated since I don't have any energy for exercise! I have been under alot of stress with moving and all so having the meals ready for me has helped "maintain" my loss. I've been living on shakes and bars and I just don't see that as a way of life! I'm going to try a different center before I give up, I just don't feel like I can go any longer on this food!:(
Anyone have any advice that might help me stick to this a little longer?
Thanks....

Replies

• LogiesMom09
    LogiesMom09 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Have you considered getting a health coach? I started Medifast in February and my health coach has been a true life saver. When I started out, I felt so isolated and alone on this journey that I almost gave up. But then I found a truly awesome lady (group of ladies) that motivate me and encourage me. We share recipes, discuss highs and lows, and just walk through this together. It has made a tremendous difference. Here I am 7 months later, over 50 pounds lighter, and feeling better than I have in years. You don't have to do this alone.

Plus there are so many other foods besides shakes and bars. Try the soups, oatmeal, and pancakes. You can use these to make toast, bread, muffins, crackers. I also love the hot cocoa and the puddings and the soft bake. I mix with cream cheese or PB and freeze for a "Reese's" type candy treat.

Trust me, this is so worth it. I'm now doing an extended version of transition but I truly can't imagine not having some of my favorite MF meals on hand for snacks and treats.

You can do it.
  • _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    Options
    I'll second the coach recommendation. I didn't have one to start, didn't really want one or think it would help. So glad I did, just for the accountability, recipes, and consoling. A coach will help with transition too.
    In the meantime, try some different foods. I loved the chili, sloppy joe, mac-n-cheese, chicken soup, veg soup, cereal, and the new blueberry muffins look great. Hang in there, drink your water, weigh/measure your lean-n-green, and the weight will keep falling off.
  • PippaJo_
    PippaJo_ Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I think you definitely need a coach. (And I say this as a person who does not have a coach, and doesn't want one for myself.)

Some of us need the camaraderie, and the one-to-one support. I am not one of them, but I think that you probably are.

The coaches are there, for free, *for you*. You should make use of them!

That said, I believe that you have some unrealistic expectations. You say, 'since the end of June'. That's what, 13, 14 weeks?

Twelve pounds. TWELVE. That's just under one pound a week. That you probably wouldn't have lost if you *hadn't* been on MF, right?

Weight loss, for *anyone*, at a pace of about a pound a week, is an EXCELLENT result.

Some people are hard-losers. I am one of them. At some point, you just have to accept that, and let it go. Do what you can, and don't compare your results to anyone else's results.

And sometimes, you may need to take a break. It depends on your mental state - and if you can treat a break as just that - a break - and not a 'quit', then a break may ('may') be beneficial.

I have been doing MF since the beginning of March. That's nearly 29 weeks.

I've lost 23 pounds. And I'm not complaining - I'm jumping for joy! Twenty-three pounds that I plan to never see again.

I have also taken numerous 'breaks' during that time. Sometimes a couple of days, sometimes a week, and this summer, I took what amounted to nearly two months 'off'. (I couldn't face not having some of the wonderful summer fruits in my area, plus there were a lot of celebrations.) I did my best to watch what I ate, though, and kept portion sizes down, and didn't go food-crazy. During that time, I didn't lose anything more, but I maintained at the point I'd reached. And I would often be kind of 'half on-plan' - I would still use a lot of the MF foods, and it kept my calorie and carb counts lower than they might otherwise have been, although I was missing out on the weight-loss benefits of being fully on-plan, with the mild ketosis. But I knew that, so the lack of loss was something I was fully prepared for.

Understand, I'm not necessarily 'recommending' this - it works for me, but for another person, it might not - especially if they feel like any 'break' is somehow a failure. I only state my situation to make it clear that a break is NOT a failure. *You* get to decide when you'll get back on that horse, and you can do it.

I got back on the horse a week ago, and I've lost another two pounds from my summer state of maintenance. I don't expect to keep losing at that rate, but it was nice to see. And this is all without exercise, so don't beat yourself up if you're not exercising. Exercise only helps a little bit for some people (and not at all for me), what you put in your mouth is the most important thing.

But most of all - stress can also make you hold on to the pounds. If you're worrying about MF and stressing about the rate at which you're losing - that in itself might be contributing to your difficulties.

Maybe if you can put yourself in a mindframe of 'this is just what I eat, now', rather than 'gee, when am I going to lose this weight so I can stop eating this stuff??', you'll be able to just take it all in stride, and even 'forget' about it enough release all that stress you're building up over it.

Bottom line - you're losing just fine. Don't compare yourself to others. Don't overthink it. Just keep plugging along. It's not always easy, but if you just keep plugging along, the trend WILL be downward, and that's the direction you want to go. Don't shoot yourself in the foot and start climbing back up, just because you aren't jogging downhill!

:-)
  • BubonicTonic
    BubonicTonic Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I'll put my two cents in here.
    I'm coming back to Medifast to tackle the last 20 pounds. 3 years ago I lost 55 pounds on Medifast and it completely changed my life. I never thought it was possible that I could do it. Looking back I see now that it wasn't the magic powder or any one thing - any plan will work if you stick to it. Seriously. You just have to find the right thing that will work for you. And you need to figure out WHY you're doing this. Motivation will only come from inside.

I lost 55 pounds and got to goal, it took me from May to November. I couldn't wait to stop eating Medifast food and transition!! But I was also terrified that the weight would come right back on when I went back to my old sugar-addicted ways. I was right. I've only gained back 20 pounds, but I've also become a runner and a weight-lifter during that time. Your body needs fuel for stuff like that. So I fed my body. I'm stronger, I can run a 10k, but I've still got the muffin top and I want that gone. I've tried sticking to Paleo, I've thought about herbalife, whatever, blah blah. Medifast works for me, I understand it, and now I'm committed because I know why I want to succeed: for me. Occasionally I'll write a list of my "why's", and it isn't until I get to the end of the page that I really get to the real reasons I want to do this, and it's not about a number or clothes or anything else. I have learned that it's all about your head. Fix what's going on in your head and you'll have a reason to give yourself this gift that you've always wanted. Find your why.
  • ryansmommie68
    ryansmommie68 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I did try a different center (i'm moving) and it was nice to have a fresh look at my goals and what i'm doing. I got myself motivated again only to lose it a few days later. I do tend to over think this, I wake up motivated but by the end of the day i've talked myself out of Medifast again! Story of my life! I have talked myself out of every diet I've done!!!

We are in the process of moving right now and we are staying at a friends house so it makes it a little tougher for cooking etc since all of my stuff is packed away. Tomorrow we move into our new home and kitchen so i'm looking forward to getting back to cooking for myself and getting off this "break" i've been on. I have a birthday coming up and i want to lose a few more pounds by then. I do need to have someone to help keep me motivated. I will look into a coach! I thought if I joined at a center I would have someone to help me but I have to go in every week in order for that to work! haha! I will also look for a coach online.

PippaJo....i have been on quite a break but i do as you, i keep some Medifast meals in my diet which has helped me maintain the last month that we have been moving and "homeless". We eat out almost every night...I force myself to make the best choice and not go back to how i used to eat!
    You are absolutely correct...i have lost 12lbs and i'm very proud of that. It is very tough not comparing...but i'm happy that I have lost 12lbs and not gained!!!
    BubonicTonic....i have found my "why" but i keep detouring!!!
  • PippaJo_
    PippaJo_ Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    You know what helps me stay on-plan?

I K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple, Stupid.

I don't 'cook'. I really don't. I loathe cooking.

My hubby is wonderful (and he just started MF too, so it's even easier), and he will often stick some meat on the grill and portion it out for us.

But if that's not available, for my lean & green, I tend to eat:

1) Frozen tilapia, sprinkled with garlic salt and lemon-pepper, stuck in the microwave for a couple of minutes. Add a salad, or 1 1/2 c of frozen broccoli, or broccoli/cauliflower mix. Spritz on some spray I Can't Believe It's Not Butter.

2) Three scrambled eggs, with 1/2 c frozen chopped spinach, 1/2 c mushrooms, 1/2 c green peppers (maybe).

That's *it*. Because it's tasty, it's a *lot* of food, and it's so easy that I don't have to either think about it, or take a lot of time making it. I also don't have to worry about what's going bad in my refrigerator, because most of it is frozen.

I've also found that the days I eat fish, I tend to lose a little more than other days. *shrug*

Even in the midst of moving, I bet you can manage something like that. Don't get fancy! Just keep it simple, and keep on track. :-)
  • ryansmommie68
    ryansmommie68 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Keep it simple...love it! I'm definitely loving keeping things simple! :)
  • Stacivogue
    Stacivogue Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Me too! Chilean sea bass with some hot spicy salsa and lime juice and a jalapeño. Pop in over on 350 for 25 min. Add some broccoli to the side....done.

Salmon baked with tony chacheres (order online if you live up north like me) and 1/2 avocado

Fish in general with penzy's spice (order online) galena spice seasoning. Adobo seasoning. And dried jalapeños

Trader joes has a bunch of meats that they vacuum seal with no carb maranades. They last a week and taste amazing either on grill or in oven, and I have still been losing! I weigh everything.and that's key but I am so happy for a break from fish every once in a while

The tony chacheres makes all of the soups good! The Mac and cheese requires both tony chacheres and dried jalapeños.