Can somebody please help me!?

Options
rlw0031
rlw0031 Posts: 88 Member
Hello,
I found EM2WL last winter after I had been searching for different routes other than the 1200 calorie diet that this site recommends. I had not lost weight doing that and working out a lot for months and months . After eating almost 2000 calories daily and cutting my working out back I have seen my weight remain the same, it has been the same since last Feb. I don't have a ton to lose, about 10-15 pounds would be amazing. I am 5'2" and 143 pounds. I have decent muscle on me from the strength training I do. I have been blown away that I can be the same weight eating as much as I do now as when I ate 1200 daily and do not wish to ever return to that pattern. However what do I have to do to lose the weight?? It seems my body just wants to stay at this weight. Is there something else I can do? Am I still not eating enough? Am I not eating the right things? It drives me crazy. It is honestly a challenge to eat 2000 a day. Any suggestions? Anybody successful eating this much and losing?

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Why do you think 2000 is correct level?

Use the spreadsheet on my profile page to run your numbers and get better idea of TDEE.

From appearances, you are eating at TDEE right now, whether that is suppressed TDEE or potential remains to be seen, but at least get some best estimates.
  • Deanna_garnermommy
    Options
    Hi.

I am 5'2 and 145 or 144 depending on the week. I did my cut 3 weeks ago, I was eating 2000-2100 for my TDEE and now 1700-1800 for my cut, I am losing nothing. nada, zilp zero. Very frustrated. I run 3 miles 3 times per week and alternate days I do Cathe lifting dvds with 1 rest day. I probably need to cut more, but I had a hard time doing it to begin wtih after a couple of months of eating cleaning and awesome. Anyways, i feel your pain. I am sorry I have no advice, besides cutting I don't have any.

Maybe I am doing something wrong with eating so I increased my protein this week to 45% and 30% carbs 25% fat, as I read that decreasing fat is important if I am trying to lose fat & gain muscle (ya whatever still doesn't seem to work)
    I eat:
    Breakfast: Oatmeal, chia, protein powder, some days a banana with it
    Lunch: Always a big salad, lots of veggie and like 6 oz lean meat (some times a carb with this like rice crackers with hummus)
    dinner: Meat and veggies
    snacks, apple, ostrim sticks, eggs whites, dried spicey chick peas, protein muffins *homemade

Seriously, shoot me... I really don't think I am eating anything wrong.. kill me if last weekend i had ONE handful of doritos at a party lol

I will repost this, sounds like i am asking for help and i dont want to steal your thread
  • heybales
    Options
    So for both of you, if you started your math for TDEE level based on BMR that is NOT based on bodyfat estimate, you can easily be inflated by 200-400 calories at BMR, meaning 300-700 at TDEE, and with a deficit not actually at a deficit, but eating at maintenance.

Why could the BMR based on age, weight, height be inflated?

The study participants that the BMR formula is based on were at healthy weight already (so overweight is some inflation already), and at average fat mass to non-fat mass ratio.
    But if you have burned off some muscle through bad diets through the years, you don't have as much LBM as expected by the formula, and LBM is the reason for where the metabolism is.

So get your Katch BMR based on decent estimate of bodyfat % (within at least 5% means not much range in calorie difference), then redo your TDEE level, and be honest with time.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1018768-better-rough-estimate-of-tdee-than-5-level-chart
  • rlw0031
    Options
    Deanna no please please steal my thread as I want to read any advice you may receive. I can really just not believe how complicated it seems to drop a few pounds...
  • rlw0031
    Options
    Hello Haybales,

I am having trouble getting to your spreadsheet but i have heard good things. Maybe I cannot open it due to the browser in my computer?? It just doesn't open for me. I plugged in my Katch BMR and it says it is 1400. My TDEE on the scooby site is 2100 with light activity and a 15% cut puts me at 1700. The reason I am eating 2000 calories a day is because I ate at 1600-1700 for months and did not lose. The EM2WL group advised me to eat more and that is why I bumped it up. I am neither gaining or losing and don't know what to do at this point. I am trying to change my outlook and just eat to be healthy but it is extremely frustrating because I know I can definitely stand to lose 10 pounds and cannot get it off! I would be healthier with 10 pounds off.

If you can shed any light on the situation that would be great! Also with activity, I choose light, I lift 20 min 3x a week and walk for 30 min after. That is all I am doing right now. I clean the house, grocery shop, take care of kids also. EM2WL people were telling me to choose moderate but I am not so certain about that and don't know if it is a good idea to increase calories more...
  • heybales
    Options
    So you have a bodyfat % estimate, good.

Even the Scooby site has a Most Accurate option where you can select Katch method. Still 5 basic levels.

Use the link for the better than 5 rough levels and do the math on your time, because 30 min of walking is not near 20 min of lifting. But you do start out higher than sedentary.

If you can get Chrome, though, the spreadsheet works great after you Make a Copy.
  • rlw0031
    Options
    TDEE minus 15% cut is about 1700 and with the Katch method it says 1600. I am happy to eat 1600 calories a day but...I had been doing that for months and my weight and measurements continue to remain the same! It has stayed the same since last winter whether I eat 1200, 1600 or 2000 and I am trying to figure out what I can do to make changes.

I don't know what you mean about 30 min of walking not being near 20 min of lifting. Do you think light activity is correct for me? I lift 20-30 min 3x a week. So that is only one hour, should I not count the walking? What workout do you think is approp./effective? I was running a few times a week and honestly I did not see a difference and my knee hurts so now I walk.
  • heybales
    Options
    So those TDEE levels are based on time of exercise - 1-3 hrs weekly, 3-5 hrs weekly, ect.

They don't include active job or lifestyle outside of exercise.

Would your TDEE be higher as a mail carrier compared to desk job, not including exercise?

What is your 40 hr work time spent doing?

And then for the exercise part, is 1 hr of walking adding as much to your TDEE as 1 hr of running?

Walking is fine, just not nearly the bang for the time spent, but if it's what you can do and be injury free, that should be it for now.
    Making it incline can make it burn more, if not a knee problem with that.
    Lifting is great, just doesn't add as much to the TDEE as other stuff would be, so means you get to eat less.
    Are you actually lifting with progressive overload, like making it heavy and difficult for you, or merely maintenance easy lifting?

So you might reread my comments above as to why to use the Katch BMR as start of the math at least, don't even use the other one if you have a BF% estimate.

And then go to that link to better estimate your TDEE base on at least time and 2 exercise types.

How long did you eat at 2000 and it stayed the same?
    Because if weight didn't go up, then you have a high TDEE for whatever that level of activity was at the time, and actual TDEE might have been even higher.
  • rlw0031
    Options
    My 40 hr work time is spent buying groceries 1x a week (45 min or so walking), cleaning a house about an hour a day and caring for children. I burn calories doing all these things but am only doing a couple hours of exercise a week so I thought light would encompass the exercise and life I described, I could be wrong but...?

I lift progressively, not easy maintenance.

I have eaten 2000 calories Aug and Sep and have not gained one pound. So now I am trying to figure out if I have to continue eating more or begin cutting.
  • heybales
    Options
    Ya, your daily life without exercise is Lightly Active if you want ballpark estimate.
    With exercise you bumped in to Moderately Active.

So you lost no measurements either during those times of different eating levels?

So is your 2000 your potential TDEE, or still a suppressed TDEE?

Because if you ate 1600 and also saw no changes, that's obviously a suppressed TDEE, right?

TDEE, or maintenance, means no loss or gain. So logic here, was 1200 your TDEE? Was 1600 your TDEE? Was 1700 your TDEE?

Is 2000 your real potential TDEE?

One way to prove it. Eat 2250 daily for 2 weeks.

If weight goes up slowly over that 2 weeks a total of 1 lb, which is all you would get eating 250 more daily over maintenance, then 2000 is your real potential TDEE.

But if you get fast water weight gain in first few days or the first week, and especially more than 1 lb, then you were obviously not at TDEE. Because if you were at TDEE, there would have been no glucose stores to refill quickly.

This means you must only weigh on valid days, you have at least 4 of them weekly it looks like, depending on how long the soreness lasts.
  • rlw0031
    Options
    So you also think I should be moderate? It says my TDEE (Katch) is 2183 for moderate activity. So will I not lose any weight until I eat at my true TDEE for an extended period? I will try eating at 2250 for a couple weeks and see what happens. If I am understanding correctly, I will gain a couple pounds once I pass my true TDEE and then I can cut to lose? Thank for adding in about the fast water gain because I would probably just think that is it.

I lost no measurements or weight since eating different calorie amounts so far. My waist will be smaller in the morning when I first get up then after a day of eating so it will change daily as far as that goes. I found I bloat less with eating more so my waist is a normal size more than it used to be but as far as true measurement it is the same as when I ate very little.

Thanks for the advice. I will try this to find out where my TDEE is. How on earth could it be that high?
  • heybales
    Options
    Unless you logged how much you used to eat before you started to diet, and you basically maintained, you likely have no idea how much you used to eat.
    And were you at the level of activity then as now?
    Probably not.

So probably your only ability to compare calorie levels is to the past low amounts you ate.

I'd guess you Moderate perhaps rounded down to 2100.

You should be able to lose weight eating less than that, right now in fact. Unless your body is so sensitive it's not willing to allow a deficit until it feels safe from past craziness.

That may be the case.
    Many will find by eating say 150 more calories, they burn 250 more, usually because they get their NEAT back, that daily activity your body is willing to suppress when under-eating.

So unstressing the body is needed. And then they find they can go right back to a level they ate at previously when moving up, that didn't cause any loss then.

So 250 more over true TDEE is 1 lb in 2 weeks time, that's all. And if lifting, it's not even fat totally.

So with no measurement change, doesn't sound like you were trading fat or LBM either. If lifting heavy, that shouldn't be possible.
  • rlw0031
    Options
    So with no measurement change, doesn't sound like you were trading fat or LBM either. If lifting heavy, that shouldn't be possible.

Heybales,

I am confused with your last statement, if my measurements have not changed I did not trade fat or LBM, what is LBM? I guess I did not log what I used to eat before MFP and when I began I began to eat 1200 because that is what it said to do! I thought you said earlier that walking doesn't equal lifting and that I was just above sedentary...

In any case when I stopped eating the 1200 calories last winter I gained 10 pounds, went back down to 1200, didn't lose and have not lost anything since while increasing 1400, 1600, 1700 and now 2000 calories. I have not know if I should continue trying to eat more or cut but I think I will try to eat 2250 for a couple weeks like you said and see if I will gain a pound to know if I have finally stabilized. Hopefully I will and then can I cut?
  • heybales
    Options
    Lean Body Mass is all non-fat mass.
    That's all there is, fat mass, and non-fat mass. Non-fat mass also called Lean Body Mass. Incorrectly and confusingly called Lean Muscle Mass sometimes, as if a cut of beef is being ordered.

LBM comprised of organs, water, glucose, muscle, tendons, bones, ect.

So you can easily increase LBM without increasing muscle, happens all the time for people starting cardio routines or taking them up a notch in endurance. More glucose stored, that is always with water. Blood volume increases with water as amount of vessels increases, ect.

My reference to walking doesn't equal lifting was not a comment on your personal activity level, but rather how hard it can be to use 5 rough TDEE levels totally based on hours of exercise. Your exercise may fit in perfectly there, it may not by a longshot.

What if someone walked 1 hr daily with their dogs, 2 mph. Is that truly Very Active by the TDEE levels? I guarantee they will gain weight doing that ballpark figure and eating to it.

If you bump up to 2250 and gain either no weight or fast water weight only, then 2000 was not TDEE, and 2250 is doubtful too now. Test another 250 more and 2 weeks.
    But if slow gain over 2 weeks, 2000 was TDEE. Cut from 2000.

So the time you'd have trouble trading fat for LBM eating at maintenance, or TDEE, is if it's suppressed TDEE. You body still wants more calories for the basic stuff, and isn't willing to spend any on building new muscle which will take even more energy it already isn't getting.

Since it's proven those other eating levels weren't really potential TDEE but suppressed, it doesn't surprise me your body made few changes you can discern with a tape measure.
    I'm sure you had some, just small and probably in areas not measured.

So good plan. You may have a very nervous NEAT burn throughout the day, keeping your TDEE higher than LBM and BMR would indicate, which is great, hate to lose that.
  • rlw0031
    Options
    Wow I am so glad you have talked to me about this....I was ready to cut again and it seems that is not what I should do and I know it didn't work before. I am really trying to understand all this. What you said about increasing LBM during a new cardio routine, when I gained a few pounds last winter I went right back to 1200 calories and worked out harder than I ever have, running everyday. I had 10 pounds on me that month and it has been here ever since. I checked my waist today and it is the same like I thought. I are 2200 yesterday and will contine for the next couple weeks to find out about Tdee. This is so interesting...thank you so much for explaining all of this!